Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #1

A place for my piece

I have been looking for a place to carry legally licensed handgun in my car that would not be the usual place to look if i thief were in there. I'm thinking of the "Pizza Oven" where it stays stored now in a yellow manila envelope sealed up. I thought if I ground off the "Nubs that allow you to slide the doors open and insert a Porsche Loge where the handles were it would cover up where they were ground off. Only glue one side so it only looks like panel with a Porsche Badge on it.....Thoughts ??

Thanks in advance

Dwight

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

I have my places to carry, but many on here will whine about gun talk. Get ready.

For me it's a sub compact .45 in the door. Glove box has my paperwork for work and such.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Buy Gator's CDR-210, gut it and convert it into a handgun safe. Put a hinged door behind the faceplate or use a cable-lock to keep your gun secured.
...Or gut the passenger airbag and use that space. Hey, that could be converted to a glove box on my '99. I hear that 10+ year old airbags just shoot shards of metal out now anyway.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:09 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Generally I lock up my Glock in the console (barely fits) when I head in to work. Plus it's a good place to keep it if needed on the road. I do like the door pocket idea, Timco.

If I have my Walther on me that goes in the glovebox. But that's not too often since I'm "husky" and afraid of printing.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:48 AM   #5
Boxing in Australia

Oh my. God, only in America

You guys are insane with your guns, in my opinion,

With regret,

Alan
Alan Mackew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mackew View Post

With regret,

Alan

I'll tell you this - I got robbed at gunpoint at a gas station two years ago. Just as I was leaving, a guy came right in my passenger door with Glock in his hand. I rolled right out the driver's door. Gave him my wallet and he ran.

Lesson learned? The 9mm in my nightstand didn't do me one bit of good. Have to keep it close.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:18 AM   #7

Maybe not the most convenient location to get to quick, but what about tucked behind the engine firewall carpet? There's some foam inserts that can be removed easily.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:21 AM   #8

Garage
Alan, why did you even post? If you have nothing pertinent to say, then say nothing.

My opinion? The best place for that gun is on you. Don't hide it in the car, carry it with. If you have to leave it there, center console and lock it. That's what I do.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:24 AM   #9

Quote:

With regret,

Alan
+1. I've owned, shot and hunted with guns for >50 years (I own 12 now) and I have never seen the need to carry one in my car. It doesn't sound like having a gun in his car would have kept peterbrown77 from getting robbed. It's kind of hard to get your gun out when someone's already pointing one at you.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
+1. I've owned, shot and hunted with guns for >50 years (I own 12 now) and I have never seen the need to carry one in my car. It doesn't sound like having a gun in his car would have kept peterbrown77 from getting robbed. It's kind of hard to get your gun out when someone's already pointing one at you.
Well said. If someone already has a gun pointed at you, it's far too late and doesn't matter where your gun is.

Sheesh, just give up the wallet and live to tell about it.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:49 AM   #11
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:

With regret,

Alan
I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:54 AM   #12
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
If that was the only situation then that would fly. Two weeks back I pulled a very large para ordinance .45 Hy cap on a sexual predator jerking himself as he pulled next to my truck by my shop. The sheer terror in his actions and speed-away said it all. It's a sick, crazy world. I'll keep the upper hand and defend my space and family as I can.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #13
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
+1. I've owned, shot and hunted with guns for >50 years (I own 12 now) and I have never seen the need to carry one in my car. ...
In Oklahoma and many other states there is a rapidly increasing number of people with concealed carry permits. Open carry is becoming more permissive in places. People who carry firearms outside the home need a place to secure them when they go into places where firearms are not permitted.
Keep one permanently in the car? Not my preference, but a friend who is on the police tactical unit keeps a short AR mounted in his POV.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:10 AM   #14

Quote:

With regret,

Alan
No one asked for your opinion here.

With pity for the women and children in your family,

Chris
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Your diatribe promoting weakness and victimization are not asked for here. Read the title of the post. Not interested? Move on. See how easy that is?
Old 05-08-2016, 07:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Well said. If someone already has a gun pointed at you, it's far too late and doesn't matter where your gun is.

Sheesh, just give up the wallet and live to tell about it.
Like a good little victim. Boy, that'll help put a stop to crime!
SMDH
Old 05-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #17

My opinion? The best place for that gun is on you. Don't hide it in the car, carry it with. If you have to leave it there, center console and lock it. That's what I do.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I hate to sound like an advertisement but invest in a Milt Sparks belt and holster and you'll never take it off. Even in the snug Porsche seats.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #18

Only in America
Get a grip guys
Sorry but had to be said
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
Like a good little victim. Boy, that'll help put a stop to crime!
SMDH
Be careful Chris. Because right now, there is ZERO proof that carrying a handgun reduces crime in any way.

Frankly - the crime rate is much higher in the US than it is in Canada, Australia, New Zeland, England......and the list goes on. Countries that do not allow you to own/carry handguns have lower crime rates. That's a fact.

While carrying a handgun may make you feel better, it sure isn't reducing crime that I can see.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #20
WALDMEISTER

Garage
With a gun in your face...what is the benefit of a handgun, stowed away somewhere in your car?

I do see the need for self-defense in the states, but honestly I am more scared of a nutter with a gun going mental.
As I had to serve in the army, loooooong time ago, i had to fire all possible guns. Been there, done that. Most fun was the MG3...everything else is a toy

No need to carry guns here, thank god.