Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
How do you do this? am not a computer wizard, but I could figure this out with some help. I am having the same problems connects to engine, but not airbag?
Krieger: If your Durametric cable is able to auto select your DME then your .Net framework version is likely fine. Basically this is language that allows the application to run. Do you have a seatbelt fault? I believe this would prevent access to the airbag.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #22
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Mine had .net 4.2 or something, so I deleted that and got it back to 3.5, but that did not fix the issue. I can't install anything previous to 3.5 because it's a part of Windows 7.

It does not auto-detect DME.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #23

First, .Net Framework isn't part of normal Windows updates unless it's already installed. So, Install .Net Framework 2.0 and I guess 3.5 and 3.5 SP1. Or start with 2.0 and 3.5, then run Windows updates to get the service packs.

.Net 2.0 x64 (unsure if you'll need the 32-bit version...you're running a 64-bit OS - which honestly could be part of the problem, see below.)
.Net 3.5
.Net 3.5 SP1 (these are both 32-bit)

Like I said above, a lot of OBDII software wasn't designed for 64-bit OS's and may or may not have 64-bit drivers, I haven't gotten my Durametric yet. If you have an older laptop around, I'd try that. You're both running mid-to-high-end machines that are more than capable of running the software, but could possibly be *too advanced*, depending on the software developer.

edit: per their system requirements, your 64-bit-ness shouldn't be a problem, but you'll want to verify that you have the .Net Framework. I'd try an older laptop if all else fails...not a newer one.

Last edited by thatguychad; 03-24-2016 at 02:17 PM.
thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Mine had .net 4.2 or something, so I deleted that and got it back to 3.5, but that did not fix the issue. I can't install anything previous to 3.5 because it's a part of Windows 7.

It does not auto-detect DME.
My garage computer is a Dell e6400 that was previously running a 32 bit windows 7 OS with the .Net framework 3.5sp1 which Durametric claims is not required in Windows 7. My Durametric ver 6.5 would occasionally auto detect but was limited and would soon fail. According to Durametric windows 7 32 and 64 bit are compatible. I spent a lot of time going through the computer running diagnostics and sent cable back for testing, nothing found, however they replaced the cable. After a couple months of frustration in a fit I wiped the HD clean and installed the free Windows 10. So long DELL. Hooked DM cable up and a pop up window reported I needed .Net Framework 2.0. Installed and I now have a working cable. Wonder if I would have had as much enjoyment if I had simply used my MAC!!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #25

Without running a VM (which can introduce many problems), a Mac is not the best computer for this kind of work, and I say this as an avid Mac user of 20+ years. My garage computer is a Dell Latitude D620 dual booting Windows XP and Windows 7. It was cheap (free, actually) and I don't care if it gets maimed by a tool or run over.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguychad View Post
Without running a VM (which can introduce many problems), a Mac is not the best computer for this kind of work, and I say this as an avid Mac user of 20+ years. My garage computer is a Dell Latitude D620 dual booting Windows XP and Windows 7. It was cheap (free, actually) and I don't care if it gets maimed by a tool or run over.
Had Win 10 not worked on my computer it was going to get maimed AND run over!!!
Old 03-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #27
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Downloading the free Windows 10 upgrade now. I hope that fixes it.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #28

I think what he's saying is that .Net Framework 2.0 was the solution to the problem. No reason to install the privacy nightmare that is Windows 10.

Last edited by thatguychad; 03-24-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #29
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You can't install .net 2.0 on a Windows 7 PC.
Windows 7 comes with .net 3.5. If you try to install 2.0, you'll get an error since you already have 3.5.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #30

Quote:
You can't install .net 2.0 on a Windows 7 PC.
Windows 7 comes with .net 3.5. If you try to install 2.0, you'll get an error since you already have 3.5.
Try this. It's the 32-bit version, but it does install (which I just verified, see screenshot) and may be what's needed. If not, uninstall if you wish.
Attached Images

Last edited by thatguychad; 03-24-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:01 AM   #31

Garage
I have the same connection issue with a Durametric Cable. I had a vague memory of someone mentioning the cable not seating well, which caused some issue.... I never found the inormation when it became relevant. I remember it was mentiond that little grinding on the cables connection helped it seat better.

Instead, I sent mine to Durametric, it passed their tests. As an IT guy, I did a fresh build with a suitable laptop, stepped through various versions of .net - testing functionanlity at each point. Durametric had reported timing issue with some USB version - i used a known good chip version. Never had success.

Grounding issues seems to be related to many troublehooting tips/suggestions on Durametrics website. Hearing that after market electronics can cause grounding issues the original radio was installed, the on board radar detector removed, even disconnected the IMS Guardian. Still no Joy.

One day, the ODBD connector from under the dash was removed and the Durametric plugged directly into it. It all worked. Mounted the ODBD connector back into the dash - and it never connected again. Even when removing the connector from the dash a second time.

My next step will be ensuring that my cable is seating properly in the ODBD connector. I have a note that mentions one of the ODBD pins can cause connection problems if not seated well.

Last edited by BFeller; 03-25-2016 at 07:40 AM.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #32

I do have a seat belt fault. I had the seat out and figured it would be easy to reset. How do you reset it? I just figured in the Durametric it was in the airbag file.
Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #33

Oh shiat! I just plugged in cord to my computer (not car). I ASSumed seat memory file in Durametric was for eletric seats that had a memory position for adjusting seats to the drivers desired position...Okay not a lot of time has past since my last post. My brain is mostly functional sometimes
Old 03-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #34

Okay, I gave it a try again. I can connect to the Engine and the alarm, but I get the connection error "unable to connect to this module" when I try to connect to the ABS, Airbag, A/C and Seat Memory. I try a different usb port in the computer and the same results. My Boxster is a 99, so I didn't try parking assist or xenon.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #35
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguychad View Post
Try this. It's the 32-bit version, but it does install (which I just verified, see screenshot) and may be what's needed. If not, uninstall if you wish.
I've got that. Your screenshot looks just like mine.

The Windows 10 install failed. Had to do a Windows 7 repair, so now I'm back to square one. I tried running the software on 2 older desktops with no luck (Durametric 6 failed to open after install).
Trying for the Windows 10 update again. Not sure what else to do. I've tried every computer I own.

I guess I'll check my port as a last resort, but the generation 1 Durametric cable and OBDII readers work fine...
Old 03-25-2016, 08:30 PM   #36
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I finally got Windows 10 downloaded and installed, hoping that would fix something. No change.

I read on rennlist that others were having similar issues and it seemed to be primarily with '99s. Looks like it's probably a software issue.

http://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/915821-durametric-communication-problem-on-k-line-2-a.html

Last edited by particlewave; 03-25-2016 at 11:56 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #37

Garage
Quote:
I finally got Windows 10 downloaded and installed, hoping that would fix something. No change.

I read on rennlist that others were having similar issues and it seemed to be primarily with '99s. Looks like it's probably a software issue.

Durametric Communication Problem on K-Line 2 - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Well just for data my build date is 4/98.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:24 PM   #38
Custom User Title Here

Garage

Last edited by particlewave; 07-22-2016 at 08:16 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Aaaannnnddd.....got an airbag light today.

Ok. Rant over. I feel slightly better. Wait. No, I'm still thoroughly frustrated.
My wife is getting a new laptop in the coming weeks, so I'll try one more, then I'm done. If it still won't connect, I'm selling this POS and getting a cheap Chinese clone running version 3 of the software. I really have no choice since you can't buy a generation 1 cable anymore unless you luck out and find someone selling one used.
I know how you feel. I may have just been lucky with mine, like you I was ready to run it over. If I was closer I'd connect to my computer just to determine it could work. Hope the new laptop works for you, I tried the same thing with no luck. Obviously my frustration level was at max boil to take a perfect functioning Dell running Win 7 and in a final act of desperation Install Win 10! Now it might as well be an ACER. But it did work. Good Luck
Old 04-05-2016, 07:18 PM   #40

If you go the Chinese knock-off Durametric, you'll need a computer running XP. It's possible that it'll run okay on Windows 7 32-bit, but it definitely won't run on anything 64-bit. Just an FYI.