Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #1

Goof Off Pro Strength....be very very careful

My wife purchased some of this at Lowe's recently, I removed my old Boxster badge with dental floss. I thought this would be good to get the adhesive off left behind.....I decided to try it on an inside corner of my trunk first. With almost no pressure on a moistened cotton terry cloth it removed the paint instantly. If I had tried this on my trunk I would have been devastated.

Be very careful with this stuff

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1 on the Pro. I used it to strip wax off of some adobe pavers in our entryway. Worked like a champ. Fumes gave me a headache even with proper ventilation. Nasty stuff. Good on ya for testing it first.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Good move on testing first! (something that I have had to learn the hard way!)
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Try Goo Gone. It's a citrus-based adhesive remover, comes in a little spray bottle. Does a sufficient job removing emblem tape.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:47 PM   #5

http://www.goofoffproducts.com//uploads/general/FG650_SDS-2410.4.pdf

Looks like it's got acetone, xylene, ethylbenzene, and methanol. Sounds roughly comparable to me as carburetor cleaner, brake parts cleaner, or lacquer thinner.

Last edited by jakeru; 08-26-2016 at 06:02 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I usually use WD-40 or Jet Fuel/Kerosene/Diesel fuel to remove adhesive/gum from auto paint. Wash with soap and water when done.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:55 AM   #7

I used that Goof Off Pro to remove some registration sticker adhesive on my license plate... it took license plate paint off down to the metal!!! I put that can promptly at the back of the shelf...
dijinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #8

Best stuff for removing adhesive residue is 3M adhesive remover. It's about $30 a quart.

Second best is plain old Naptha paint thinner. About $3 a quart.

Sometimes, you can even use 90% strength isopropyl alcohol. About $2 at Walmart. I use it as a solvent for everything else. lol

Last edited by FauxDiablo; 08-27-2016 at 07:15 PM. Reason: r-tard
FauxDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:33 AM   #9

Many years ago I debadged a 944S that also had thin vinyl pin stripes I wanted to remove. At the local NAPA I found an " eraser pad " that you chucked into an electric hand drill . The eraser pad was a light brown/tan color and was quite soft. You just pulled the trigger on the drill, slowly worked the eraser pad into what you were removing and it took the vinyl tape and badge adhesive right off with no damage to the paint. Followed up with polishing compound and everything was gone . As long as you don't dwell in one spot too long ( heat build up ) it was pretty much stupid proof .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #10

For that I would use Ronsonol Lighter fluid in the yellow plastic bottle.

Great for removing adhesive left behind from stickers. Contains Naphtha.

Also works great for removing tar. Won't harm your paint.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Many years ago I debadged a 944S that also had thin vinyl pin stripes I wanted to remove. At the local NAPA I found an " eraser pad " that you chucked into an electric hand drill . The eraser pad was a light brown/tan color and was quite soft. You just pulled the trigger on the drill, slowly worked the eraser pad into what you were removing and it took the vinyl tape and badge adhesive right off with no damage to the paint. Followed up with polishing compound and everything was gone . As long as you don't dwell in one spot too long ( heat build up ) it was pretty much stupid proof .
If you cannot get a hold of an "eraser style" vinyl remover, it's almost easier to heat the vinyl with a heat gun (on low setting) and just peel it off...usually leaves no residue.

FauxDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote