Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #21
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niche View Post
+100 for the color

yeah...Autobahn is a must once in a while... to blow the rust out of the pipes.

And it is exactly there, where you get the strong conviction what needs to be improved.
I am even willing to tune the DME now, after a SKODA octavia combi RS gave me a hard time passing him...A FAMILY CAR.
At 250km/h even my old 2.7l passes most other (newer & more powerful) cars...as they are restricted to 250km/h max...but not Porsche

I am ok...i am ok...oh man it was a nightmare

Old 02-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #22

I got to assist a Porsche Tech tearing down a engine...

long story short, 3 chain version of our 6 cyl. 3.X?L ...

snapped Ims shaft only 35k. (both ends)

Quote of the night...

"just like every one where they tell me they baby it."

lmao

fingers crossed he can salvage the heads.
Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #23

If we didn't want to drive them fast, we wouldn't have bought Porsches!

My favorite moments are when the PDK is cruising in 7th (some kind of gas saving thing, I think) around 40mph. Then I lift the foot off and stomp it back down. The PDK responds in a nanosecond and downshifts to 3rd, and I'm quickly at 70 mph, then 80, then 90, in 4th gear. Considering I've got 3 more gears to go, I'm not gutsy enough to top it out.

I consider it a good drive when I've scared myself a little.

Hubs loves to run the PDK in manual mode, so it's more like his 911. These cars have some amazing torque.

Honestly, I think the PDK, in manual mode, is a little quicker than a standard manual. Yup. You heard me . . .
Old 02-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #24
On the slippery slope

Garage
A PDK will shift faster than any human can shift a manual transmission
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
Honestly, I think the PDK, in manual mode, is a little quicker than a standard manual. Yup. You heard me . . .
Yup and it gets better gas mileage. Unfortunately for me the PDK offers fewer smiles per mile.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #26

I drive it... Not hard, but "with spirit". I shift between 2500 and 3500 in town, but getting onto the highway or blasting up that occasional twisty mountain back road, I stay in it to 5,000 rpm or so to really feel that steady seemingly unending pull. I dearly love those moments! I love the sound it makes beginning at 2800 rpm! But I don't race it and I don't push it very much most of the time.
I almost never use 5th in town. 4th gear feels about perfect for the 2.5 engine at town speeds.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #27

I usually take a bat to mine, you know, before we go out, so it knows I mean business. I then take my keys and scratch the *&^% out of the paint, because it thought it was better than me. I then gun the engine from a cold start. I mean, a *%$# needs to know who's boss! AmIright?

Ok... as I pull out of the driveway, I usually hit 30 mph and, no, I don't give any ^$%* if the front end bottoms out. Car needs to know who's boss. After I am going at lest 35 mph, I start lowering the top. I &$*ing love hearing the wind try to get the top to leave the car. Sometimes it does, but you know, I think the car needs to learn a few lessons every now and again - so it doesn't get all uppity.

Once I'm driving, I look for the closest street race, cuz I know better than everyone else. If no one accepts my revving challenge, I like to knock into their rear tire, you know, with my bumper. Usually, I've got their attention by that point. After that, I start huffing cats at his car. I usually keep 5-8 of them in bag when I go for a drive. I wish I could tell you how many rpms I'm at by this point, but I punched the dash after it was acting like a %^&*.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #28

I follow the advice I got when driving air cooled VWs: "Drive it like it's mine, and you hate me"
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
I usually take a bat to mine, you know, before we go out, so it knows I mean business. I then take my keys and scratch the *&^% out of the paint, because it thought it was better than me. I then gun the engine from a cold start. I mean, a *%$# needs to know who's boss! AmIright?

Ok... as I pull out of the driveway, I usually hit 30 mph and, no, I don't give any ^$%* if the front end bottoms out. Car needs to know who's boss. After I am going at lest 35 mph, I start lowering the top. I &$*ing love hearing the wind try to get the top to leave the car. Sometimes it does, but you know, I think the car needs to learn a few lessons every now and again - so it doesn't get all uppity.

Once I'm driving, I look for the closest street race, cuz I know better than everyone else. If no one accepts my revving challenge, I like to knock into their rear tire, you know, with my bumper. Usually, I've got their attention by that point. After that, I start huffing cats at his car. I usually keep 5-8 of them in bag when I go for a drive. I wish I could tell you how many rpms I'm at by this point, but I punched the dash after it was acting like a %^&*.
Freakin' hilarious! I'm still laughing.
luckyed7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #30

Agreed. Very funny
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:25 AM   #31

Moderately hard driving, not quite at full-on racing level.

When I'm first at a stop light I do high performance take offs to test the 0-60 time.

When the radar detector is going off I just do 0-(speed limit +5) and then see who breaks out of the pack behind me to give chase and as they shoot past me doing 30 over the limit I wait for the flashing lights to chase THEM. I'm evil

When cornering on a green light I usually take it right to the edge of traction loss.

If the back end hasn't unstuck now and then on my commute its probably because I'm fiddling too much with the Music selection on the Dual Din touch screen and not focusing on the drive.

Shift Revs from standing start are usually into the 6K region, and downshift into the 5k+ region when initiating passing at highway speeds while cruising.

These cars/engines can take it and enjoy a good workout, plus sound awesome with aftermarket mufflers.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:56 PM   #32

I abuse mine. That's what I bought it for!

Autocross and big track. And back-country roads.

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; '73 Porsche 914 1.7, 1974 Porsche 914 1.8; '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Porsche Boxster, '03 Porsche C2 Carrera; '07 Porsche Cayman, 2014 Porsche Cayman.
Cuda911 is offline   Reply With Quote