Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2016, 06:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by compinsating View Post
Already bought the adapter. Kennedy engineering has never been helpful to me. They never answer emails and the two actual times i got through to them, the old man was as cranky and rude as can be for just asking if they made an adapter for the motor i was building at that time. Not trying to bash them but my experience was they were flat out rude.

The adapter kit i have cost $1530 and includes everything needed.

That motor should sound awesome and make the boxster fly. I should be able to get 350hp to 370hp to the wheels easily with the set up/build im doing. I already have the boxster s tranny for the swap as well. But... But the drive train isnt happening till next winter. This winter im trying to get the body done. Still need to purchase the new top, the one that looks like the caymen on ebay for $3k my hard top is for sale if anyone is interested i will get the email/contact info and post it for the kit for anyone interested.

Thanks for the comments 👍
I had been commuinicating with the guy selling the Cayman tops on ebay and he said he is getting a new batch in soon and can do about $2750 delivered.

They look great but I think will need a little cleanup and careful alignment to look their best.

I went and bought a replacement top from an 03 for my 01 and its awesome being able to see out of a clear glass window again. Thanks to Woody (Itsnotanova) for that top, it went in with no issues and barely any adjustments required.

Compinsating, your process of reshaping is very interesting and I enjoy watching your progress and learning the process.

I guess since you are making molds there is a possibility that you might make some extras for other folks as well?

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I had been commuinicating with the guy selling the Cayman tops on ebay and he said he is getting a new batch in soon and can do about $2750 delivered.

They look great but I think will need a little cleanup and careful alignment to look their best.

I went and bought a replacement top from an 03 for my 01 and its awesome being able to see out of a clear glass window again. Thanks to Woody (Itsnotanova) for that top, it went in with no issues and barely any adjustments required.

Compinsating, your process of reshaping is very interesting and I enjoy watching your progress and learning the process.

I guess since you are making molds there is a possibility that you might make some extras for other folks as well?
Ive toyed with idea of modding my top to look a little more unique but ... Life is busy and a bolt on replacement that accents the wide body just sounds easier lol and i really do like that one on ebay. How did you get ahold of him? Through ebay? Id love to get in on that price.

Making the molds the way i am would probably get some serious criticism on a body works forum as its not the best method... But for me its working just fine. I did the wide body on my vette the same way. The pros would probably say use modling clay or a dense foam. I dont like the clay, i have it but just dont like it. The dense foam most use, im allergic to so i cant go that route. That was not a fun lesson learned, missed three day of work from that experience lol.

The way im doing takes a little more work and time but the end result will look fine. Just takes a little more sanding on my part.

IF.. IF the molds come out ok, i will probably sell a few. If there two wavy ill probably keep it for just my car. I wont mind doing the work to flatten out the waves for my car but dont want to deal with complaints from selling them to someone who doesnt want to deal with it. We will see on that one.

Im getting excited, not much longer before i can do my first pop and start the install. My rims are getting delivered today as well so i will have some pics of the rim in the wheel probably tonight or tomorrow
compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #23

As far as my knowledge goes RE molding, there are no hard written guidance as to "how to" best method etc. This to say that whatever method(s) and materials you feel comfortable with is the method you should be using.

Very interesting thread and thanks for that. Again, don't rush your work. Make it shine like no others buddy. Unique stuff... thinking out of the box... creativity, love it
Old 01-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
As far as my knowledge goes RE molding, there are no hard written guidance as to "how to" best method etc. This to say that whatever method(s) and materials you feel comfortable with is the method you should be using.

Very interesting thread and thanks for that. Again, don't rush your work. Make it shine like no others buddy. Unique stuff... thinking out of the box... creativity, love it
thanks, theirs direction followers in life and theirs make it happen people in life... both have value... the make it happen guys just have cooler looking cars lololol
Old 01-26-2016, 02:36 PM   #25

ok guys this is going to be a big post. PLEASE give me your input.. criticism .. be nice

so the rims came today and i had a chance to put them under there and see how they look. i think i need to go wider. but i don't want to get to wide and look silly. please chime in on how this is looking also any ideas on louvers, vents, body lines you think might look good on the rear quarters. please point it out.

also now that i'm adding a bit more width. any thoughts on the contour going from the top of the rear quarter to the tangent of the top of the wheel well being concaved or convexed? kind of hard to explain.... should i have the contour bubble out or in to the lip of the wheel well. this is only above the wheel that i'm talking about. i attached a pic of the wide body on my corvette i did to hopefully explain this.

one more thing. the height of the flat on the wheel well is about 1/2" right now. what do you think it should be? (i'm pointing to this in my corvette pic)

thanks for any input guys, really needed and appreciated.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:19 AM   #26

No comments = positive here ;)

Carry on

I know this will sound completely contradictory to what I've been saying lately but I'll say it anyway; can you speed up things a tad?!

Barely can wait to see how badarse that boxster car will look like when completed (in all honesty) lollll

Old 01-27-2016, 05:03 AM   #27

[QUOTE=Nine8Six;481662]Carry on

I know this will sound completely contradictory to what I've been saying lately but I'll say it anyway; can you speed up things a tad?!

Barely can wait to see how badarse that boxster car will look like when completed (in all honesty) lollllQUOTE]

chop chop... I'm on it

anyone make there own coilovers for the boxster? might get me a little more room under the wheel well... thinking... thinking ... thinking. i have a spare sleeve/spring kit laying around... maybe i can make it work.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:01 AM   #28

I like the wide look of the 82 911 Turbo and what they did with the vent.
Keeping some of that heritage in the lines is probably a good thing.

In the pic it looks pretty straight but you could refine it and make your own contours with some gentle curves.
Based on the short distance you have to blend the curve I don't know if concave could work, and the newer Porsches are using Convex curves to the wheel.

In any case it looks like you have to go out a bit farther for that tire. Not as extreme as in the 911 Picture though.
Your rims look great.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 01-27-2016 at 06:08 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I like the wide look of the 82 911 Turbo and what they did with the vent.
Keeping some of that heritage in the lines is probably a good thing.

In the pic it looks pretty straight but you could refine it and make your own contours with some gentle curves.
Based on the short distance you have to blend the curve I don't know if concave could work, and the newer Porsches are using Convex curves to the wheel.

In any case it looks like you have to go out a bit farther for that tire. Not as extreme as in the 911 Picture though.
Your rims look great.

I do plan on putting some detail in here somewhere.. just not sure where yet. I'm going to play with the side vent tonight and the lip around the wheel well i think I'm going to make it(wheel well lip) a little pronounced then concaved into the convex shape that i already have going... short transition from tangent to to tangent. hope that makes sense. pics soon i just want it to keep the classy porsche look but i want a little rebellion in there as well lol

ohhhh .... love the slant nose porsche. favorite look on a porsche to me.

rims... love em !!!! I'm so happy with the look and wow they look sharp when i stepped back to look at them last night.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #30
1999 base

Garage
if you are looking for a relay nice an clean look, this is the way to go (IMO).
was toying with this idea for awhile and almost pulled the trigger on it, before someone bought it from me, and saved it from the knife.

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #31

Maybe some inspiration. Techart Widebody: TECHART - Highlights

And there is one for sale over here in Germany: Porsche TRAUM-PORSCHE BOXSTER S WIDEBODY TechArt als Cabrio/Roadster in Schwarzenbach

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:31 PM   #32

For anybody interested in this look I may be selling a Techart rear section in the near future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Maybe some inspiration. Techart Widebody: TECHART - Highlights

And there is one for sale over here in Germany: Porsche TRAUM-PORSCHE BOXSTER S WIDEBODY TechArt als Cabrio/Roadster in Schwarzenbach

Regards, Markus
stjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoh View Post
For anybody interested in this look I may be selling a Techart rear section in the near future...
For anybody interested in the wide body im making, if molds turn out ok i may be selling some in the near future lolol sorry stjoh, i could t pass it up.. You walked into that one lolol just playing with ya.

As for my stuff. I put some more mud on it today so as soon As it drys and i can do some more shaping to what i added i will post up some pics. Its cold here in michigan so this mud is taking for ever to kick.

Thanks for the pics guys. I added a little detail to the vent area with the new mud i put on and im going to do something different with the lip around the wheel well. Update soon.

Oh hey quick question, whats everyone thoughts on air scoops on the roof? If i redo my top to emiminate the bubble look and extend it back a bit to look a little more sleek i was thinking about the scoop. Any thoughts?
Old 01-27-2016, 05:07 PM   #34

The Ruf CTR3 Clubsport has a scoop on the top.

And it's a full functional one which adds a lot of sound to the cabin, because of the pop off valve - around 14:20
https://youtu.be/1Ey83O5vZlw

If it's only fake, i woudn't like it.

Regards
Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 01-27-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
The Ruf CTR3 Clubsport has a scoop on the top.

And it's a full functional one which adds a lot of sound to the cabin, because of the pop off valve - around 14:20
https://youtu.be/1Ey83O5vZlw

If it's only fake, i woudn't like it.

Regards
Markus
Good point to consider. I do kind of like the look but not sure id want the noise.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2016, 05:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by compinsating View Post
For anybody interested in the wide body im making, if molds turn out ok i may be selling some in the near future lolol sorry stjoh, i could t pass it up.. You walked into that one lolol just playing with ya.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread... Looking forward to seeing the final look of your build.
stjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoh View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread... Looking forward to seeing the final look of your build.
Oh gosh no apology needed. I was just messing with ya im a very lighthearted humorous kind of guy. Shucks my wife tells people if i wasnt funny she would never had dated me. Short pale and pudgy apparently wasnt enough for her lol
Old 02-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #38

ok so this is the final look for the rear's. still thinking about the frt qtr panels and the hard top. really hard to show the detail with it all white right now but it is what it is. this adds 2.5' of width.

Last edited by compinsating; 02-01-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #39
Reebuck1

Garage
Very nice work !!
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #40

Looks good. What size wheels and tires are you using?