View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #22
compinsating

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I had been commuinicating with the guy selling the Cayman tops on ebay and he said he is getting a new batch in soon and can do about $2750 delivered.

They look great but I think will need a little cleanup and careful alignment to look their best.

I went and bought a replacement top from an 03 for my 01 and its awesome being able to see out of a clear glass window again. Thanks to Woody (Itsnotanova) for that top, it went in with no issues and barely any adjustments required.

Compinsating, your process of reshaping is very interesting and I enjoy watching your progress and learning the process.

I guess since you are making molds there is a possibility that you might make some extras for other folks as well?
Ive toyed with idea of modding my top to look a little more unique but ... Life is busy and a bolt on replacement that accents the wide body just sounds easier lol and i really do like that one on ebay. How did you get ahold of him? Through ebay? Id love to get in on that price.

Making the molds the way i am would probably get some serious criticism on a body works forum as its not the best method... But for me its working just fine. I did the wide body on my vette the same way. The pros would probably say use modling clay or a dense foam. I dont like the clay, i have it but just dont like it. The dense foam most use, im allergic to so i cant go that route. That was not a fun lesson learned, missed three day of work from that experience lol.

The way im doing takes a little more work and time but the end result will look fine. Just takes a little more sanding on my part.

IF.. IF the molds come out ok, i will probably sell a few. If there two wavy ill probably keep it for just my car. I wont mind doing the work to flatten out the waves for my car but dont want to deal with complaints from selling them to someone who doesnt want to deal with it. We will see on that one.

Im getting excited, not much longer before i can do my first pop and start the install. My rims are getting delivered today as well so i will have some pics of the rim in the wheel probably tonight or tomorrow
compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote