Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 01:08 AM   #21

Thank you so much guys!
I've looked at those Saabs and those seats do look comfortable. Crazy the low prices you can get them for!
I also have always loved the big BMW sedans and one crosses my mind every once in awhile when I've contemplated getting a more practical, yet still sexy car. It might be time to look at them again.
My car actually did have the 12-way memory heated lumbar seat but when it fell apart from age and neglect I replaced it with a standard seat because I happened to have a set available. Looking at replacement seats to see what's out there, but man, they are pricy! (Not as much as changing cars I admit....)
Also I do have the sport seats in the weekender Boxster and I've noticed they have more back support as well as more support in every other direction. . However, it's a manual so I can't drive it yet and wouldn't want to drive it for my work since it's so punishing on a car.
I really appreciate all the support and suggestions!

Old 12-06-2015, 01:10 AM   #22

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 12-06-2015 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Phone is trying to lock up on me.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #23
Certified Boxster Addict

MODIFY THE SEAT!!!

I have had horrible back problems for nearly 10 years including weeks where I couldn't stand up or walk. About 6 years ago I had the injections directly into the spine which reduced the inflammation to the point where I could live with it.

Every car that I drive is modified with a back insert that molds the seat to my exact perferences for comfort (including the race seat in my Spec Boxster). The easiest way to start is with towels. Buy a stack of the cheap ones at Walmart in differing sizes and start placing them where you need support. Once you get the towels at the right places and in the right thickness, then have an upholstery shop make an insert in the same shape and thickness.

Good luck and I (used to) feel your pain!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-06-2015 at 04:05 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #24

Garage
There are some smoking deals to be had on the bmw 7 series and lots of Mercedes. A guy did an article on one of the v12 Mercedes sedans he bought for peanuts. He bought the Mercedes scan tool and fixed the small issues it had and was off. You own Porsches so you're already familiar with the work needed...you may enjoy one.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:27 AM   #25

Thank you!
I've driven for three days trying to adjust the amount of back support for the seat and I think I'm just about there.
Fortunately we are having a spell of warm weather so I'm also keeping the top down which is helping a lot in this last stage of recovery. Improvement has been rapid the last couple of days.
I've also looked at the big BMW and Mercedes sedans in the 2002-2006 year range and I'm just shocked the amount of car you can get for the money!
At the moment I'm just going to use proper lumbar support in the Boxster and see how it goes. I've ridden in many different sedans the past few days and it doesn't appear to make a huge difference other than ducking my head more to get in the Boxster with the top up. Stepping over the sill in a taller car is just as difficult.
Starting my back strengthening and stretching excersizes this week. Man, I'll never take my back for granted again!
I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate the suggestions and well-wishes through this difficult time, and my deepest sympathy and respect for anyone who has to go through the same thing.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #26

I have back issues as well. Diet and weight have a very big role in these. Inflamatory foods, basically anything processed... processed grains, processed meats, processed sugars (aka typical modern American diet) cause inflammation that wreak havoc on all the nerves down there. Another inflamattion issue is eating too many foods slathered in cheap vegetable oil. These have Omega 6 levels that are off the charts and must be balanced out by eating cold water fish (King Oscar sardines and vitalchoice Sockeye canned salmon for me) all very high Omega 3. Freshly ground flax helps too but it's not ready made Omega 3 like found in fish and you have to eat a metric tone of flax seed oil. If your Omega 6 is very high without any Omega 3, your body is ripe for inflammation. You also have to avoid carbonated beverages. Another is getting enough sun light, Vitamin D is actually a hormone that is vital in every system of the body. Not enough vitamin D, and you open the door to onset of a long list of diseases that bring chronic pain. Believe me all of this helps. I went off the program for a month because of frequent travel and foolishness, and had a severe lower back spasm with constant pain that took nearly two months to get over. I believe some spine doctors are now working with nutritionists to identify which foods the patient is sensitive to. The root cause of the spine issue is another matter that is addressed separately, but the wrong diet just magnifies the pain aspect.

I don't think the Boxster causes me any back issues. Getting in and out reminds me when my core strength is slipping. If my ride is harsh, the suspension is worn or the tire pressures needs attention.
Oddly enough I had the GT3 seats on for a few seasons (I used to take out in winter) and although the seats did not recline (made parallel parking tricky) it kept my back upright so slouching was tough. But core strength was really important, if those abs get weak you won't be happy getting in and out.
That being said there are obviously much more comfortable cars. I think a lightly driven Lexus coupe is the best deal going.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-08-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #27

Stay away from 6-9 year old BMWs unless you want to own the best driving sedan with the most horrid repair record on history. I had a 5 year love/hate relationship with a 2007 550i... fastest car I've ever owned with a jaw dropping stereo system, but the bad coil packs (all 8 were replaced), THREE oil leaks, shot suspension, and cooling system issued that developed from 55k-63k miles was expensive.

My DD is now a F150 supercrew. 2010 Platinum edition. I LOVE IT. Heated/AC seats, no backaches, great sound system, and I can haul crap around if I need to.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #28

Garage
I know what you mean about bad back. I threw out my back the day I bought my Boxster playing golf and wound up picking the car two weeks later and drove it for 450 KM. It's now parked for winter and have a 2013 Santa Fe XL Limited for a DD a lot softer ride and better seat for the back.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:31 AM   #29

Funny, i had just on a whim started looking at Lexus LS sedans yesterday as an alternative, especially after reading consumer reviews and looking up parts lists online for the BMWs and Mercedes. It would probably be the perfect choice, if I could get past the generic factor. It's still on my list though.
I tried to shoot a job without my assistant yesterday and ended up with a back spasm. It was a bit difficult getting in the Boxster, but once I settled in and drove a few miles with that lumbar cushion I was fine again. For a sports car, I find Porsches perfectly comfortable and even with a decent ride. My thinking is focusing on just how much I drive in them. Around 4,000 miles per month can really magnify any minor issues that normally wouldn't be a factor. I may be overthinking it, but it's still in the back of my mind, so I'm still looking at various sedans just for fun.
Diet has been touched on as well as the stretching and strengthening routines by my doctor.
I wish I liked seafood, but I've never been able to eat it, unfortunately. I have cut out soft drinks and junk food altogether though. Snacks during the day are fruit, water, granola bars, and jasmine green tea. My meals have always been healthy, but my snacking habits horrible! I've avoided vegetable oils and anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup as much as possible. It's amazing how many foods have that stuff, including supposed health foods. I try to pick up organic versions of things when available.
Many thanks for all the input everyone!

Last edited by Retroman1969; 12-09-2015 at 04:40 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote