View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #14
Retroman1969

Thank you guys for all the great suggestions!
And I certainly sympathize with all those who know first hand.
I drove for the first time in 7 days today! I didn't realize how badly I was going through Porsche withdrawal, LOL!
Getting in and out took a minute, but it was easier than I thought. Stepping down instead of lifting my legs up over a tall sill helped. Plenty to grab onto. I purchased a memory foam back support that was recommended by the doctor, and although it was bulky and ugly, it does the trick. Driving was perfectly comfortable, although I had to hang on because the cusion is keeping me out of the side bolsters.

I'm going to check with handicap and specialty suppliers to see if there is a lower profile back support.
My concern is with long term, but the measures I'm taking might negate any potential issues with driving this car so much.
I had originally planned on my next driver being a 2009 987, and might still be if I end up sticking with it.
And I agree, that several of the cars I was looking at above are going to likely be more problematic. In particular I've had a Land Rover and an older Jag in the past and literally couldn't keep them on the road. My mechanic put more miles on them than I did.
I will still contemplate a Cayenne and look at the Saabs should it become necessary.
Thank you again! I welcome any more suggestions and advice.