Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 04:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
So cool that I have to own one myself. Not using those parts though. DIY, scalable, part-time, so fun
Care to share with the rest of the class, Fred? I’m enough of a gadget nerd that I’d be willing to try to throw something together, too.

thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguychad View Post
Care to share with the rest of the class, Fred? I’m enough of a gadget nerd that I’d be willing to try to throw something together, too.
Nope. TOP SECRET stuff sorry. I would never share with anyone how to DIY a Infotainment for Porsche Cars, ever never dever I'd do that.

Half way there already tough... can't wait to show off the beast when its ready to install and being self managed

Great idea for the DIY section one day! Hang on... you do visit the DIY section of 986forum right? Cool stuff going on there too
Old 07-04-2017, 01:33 AM   #23

Hey, thatguychad!
I saw in your previous reply that you've attached a dash cam to your unit. Care to share which model?
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
Hey, thatguychad!
I saw in your previous reply that you've attached a dash cam to your unit. Care to share which model?
I got a USB cam on eBay. Auction title was "New R0003 L2 Waterproof Camera for Car Android GPS Unit with USB DVR function sz".

It's average, at best, but as with these units don't have your expectations too high (especially for bluetooth call quality, which is near-unusable.) The cam resolution is 640x480, I believe. It's acceptable, but not what I'd call good, especially if you have experience with any of the 1080p or better dedicated dash cams. Mine looks like this and I rather like the mount. I have mine tucked up behind the rear view mirror and nobody notices it.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Nope. TOP SECRET stuff sorry. I would never share with anyone how to DIY a Infotainment for Porsche Cars, ever never dever I'd do that.

Half way there already tough... can't wait to show off the beast when its ready to install and being self managed

Great idea for the DIY section one day! Hang on... you do visit the DIY section of 986forum right? Cool stuff going on there too
Well I can't wait to see it. I wish the pre-fab Android units could get their act together on bluetooth call quality. The ROM I'm running on my head unit now is great and the MP3 player app I use is also great. Sound quality is acceptable, though it's probably my speakers that are the weak link there.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #26

Quote:
I got a USB cam on eBay. Auction title was "New R0003 L2 Waterproof Camera for Car Android GPS Unit with USB DVR function sz".

It's average, at best, but as with these units don't have your expectations too high (especially for bluetooth call quality, which is near-unusable.) The cam resolution is 640x480, I believe. It's acceptable, but not what I'd call good, especially if you have experience with any of the 1080p or better dedicated dash cams. Mine looks like this and I rather like the mount. I have mine tucked up behind the rear view mirror and nobody notices it.
Thanks for the info! I'll probably look for something with a bit higher resolution.
Now that you're here, though... Did you use your factory amp or did you use the one built into your head unit?
I'm currently planning on using the old Haes 4x40, but wonder about the wiring...
Old 07-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I'll probably look for something with a bit higher resolution.
Now that you're here, though... Did you use your factory amp or did you use the one built into your head unit?
I'm currently planning on using the old Haes 4x40, but wonder about the wiring...
At the time, there were no higher resolution cameras, that seems to have changed, but it's hard to tell.

I used my factory amp (the Haes 4x40) though I did acquire a 6x40 from a 911 Cab, just haven't used it. For my girlfriends car (which had a 2-DIN MOST head unit with CD-based Navigation), I installed an inexpensive Kenwood KAC-M3004 Class-D amplifier in the factory location with a homemade adapter (salvaged from a Haes 4x40 amp) for plug-and-play action on the speaker wiring. I had to run 2 RCA cables and a remote wire from the head unit to the frunk, but that was no big deal.

If I were to do it again, I'd go the route I went with the girlfriends car and use that Kenwood (or similar) amplifier. They're nice and compact, but have fantastic sound.

Last edited by thatguychad; 07-07-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #28

Quote:
At the time, there were no higher resolution cameras, that seems to have changed, but it's hard to tell.

I used my factory amp (the Haes 4x40) though I did acquire a 6x40 from a 911 Cab, just haven't used it. For my girlfriends car (which had a 2-DIN MOST head unit with CD-based Navigation), I installed an inexpensive Kenwood KAC-M3004 Class-D amplifier in the factory location with a homemade adapter (salvaged from a Haes 4x40 amp) for plug-and-play action on the speaker wiring. I had to run 2 RCA cables and a remote wire from the head unit to the frunk, but that was no big deal.

If I were to do it again, I'd go the route I went with the girlfriends car and use that Kenwood (or similar) amplifier. They're nice and compact, but have fantastic sound.
Great! Thanks again.
The head unit is in Sweden now, so I'll probably get it next week. I'll write here when I start working on it.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #29

Hey Chad,
I have another question.
Where did you put the GPS unit?
Old 07-08-2017, 04:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Hey Chad,
I have another question.
Where did you put the GPS unit?
They're magnetic, so I stuck it to the top of the radio cage and it works great.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Great! Thanks again.

The head unit is in Sweden now, so I'll probably get it next week. I'll write here when I start working on it.

Did you go with a single or double DIN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymkmkrz View Post
Did you go with a single or double DIN?

From pictures further back in the thread, it's a 2-DIN like mine.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:21 AM   #33

Yes, it's a 2-DIN. It's easier to replace the PCM 1 this way, since it's already a 2-DIN unit.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Yes, it's a 2-DIN. It's easier to replace the PCM 1 this way, since it's already a 2-DIN unit.

I went from the single Din CDR radio to a double DIN head unit and would like to go back before selling the car. I figured they just cut the plastic in my upper console frame when they did install, so was wondering how you went about it. I expect I will need to get a frame first.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #35

Amazing...
It went from China to Sweden in absolutely no time. And now it's been in Sweden for a week and somehow, according to the Swedish Post, it's not going to be delivered. Because they've managed to lose the package...
Un-************************-believable...
Old 07-20-2017, 03:58 AM   #36

Aaaaand the Swedish Post is not to blame. The seller mixed up the tracking numbers and didn't send my package. He has promised to correct this.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #37

Of course, the seller never corrected this. At least I got my money back.
A new unit has been bought, though. It has also been delivered, so now I only need to find the time to install it.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:23 AM   #38

So, I'm trying to connect it. I've managed to start it up, but I can't get the factory amp to start up. :P
It seems that the ISO connectors that are fitted to the head unit aren't wired up the same way, even if they look the same as the ones on the PCM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #39

Can you post a picture of your harness? I don’t recall if my unit had an ISO connector...I think I had to use an adapter, and even still, I had to re-pin one of the connectors (mine may have been an Audi adapter that I had laying around for a TT deal that never happened.)

My girlfriends HU may have had ISO connectors, but I believe I only used the one for power since she had a MOST amp and I just installed a new amp (which sounds amazing...much better than mine.)

Last edited by thatguychad; 09-23-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:19 PM   #40

I'll take pictures when I have the time. The problem lies, I think, with the low level output as well as the switched 12V that should go to the yellow part of the third ISO plug. I discovered that I had bought an Audi adaptor harness, that seems to be working for the power. I'll search for more documentation and check if I actually get the amplifier power-on signal, so perhaps it'll work out.