View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #5
thatguychad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
Ok, so I've dug a bit deeper into this. I'm not going for a CDR-22 anymore.

I've removed the handset and the navi unit. My plan is to remove the CD changer too. Then I'd like to replace the head unit with a simple 1-DIN stereo, but keep the factory amplifier, so I can keep the original cables.

I've found a 2-DIN frame and an active adapter for the sound system on eBay, so getting a 2-DIN unit and mounting it will probably not be that big a problem. But is there some way to mount a 1-DIN unit and a storage bin in a 2-DIN frame?
I suppose it's possible, but I've not done it. I'm about to replace the PCM1 unit in my gf's '03 with a 2-din Android unit. While I'm in the process of that (sometime this week), I'll check to see if it'd be possible to put the single DIN parts from my '01 in. I'm keeping my stock parts (I've already installed a 7" 2-DIN Android unit in my car), but I reckon you can find the required parts on eBay.

The reason I went with a 2-DIN unit are:

1. I'm a gadget nerd
2. Backup camera (my unit also has a dash cam that records to the head unit.)
3. Up-to-date navigation without having to stick something to my dash or windshield.
4. The ability to have a nice-looking stereo that fits all of my music on a micro SD card

My only gripe about the Android head unit is the lackluster AM reception.

Here's a horrible picture of my installation, my home screen has changed a bit since this photo.

Last edited by thatguychad; 04-12-2016 at 08:58 AM.
thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote