Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #1

Garage
Macan problem

Just made the mistake of driving a Macan turbo and the wife and I agree that there has to be one in our future. Awesome vehicle that would be great on trips (and we take a lot) and is no real compromise in the handling department.
My problem is that we already have too many vehicles and have already thought about downsizing, but what should go? I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup with 22K miles, an 04 996 C4 with 79K miles ( new installed engine at 46K miles), an 04 boxster S LE with 77K miles (recent ISB, RMS,AOS and DOF), and an 08 Boxster S with 35K miles.
I figure the Macan can replace the C4 and one boxster for sure which would still give me a boxster for my top down fix. And maybe with a small trailer for the Macan I could do without the truck We have vacation rental cabins along the blue ridge parkway and I have to make periodic trips to the recycling center, lowes, etc. Getting down to 2 vehicles would be great. Huge savings on insurance, license, tax, etc. Just can't decide which boxster gets the ax.
If you haven't driven a Macan, don't. You will want one.

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #2

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Get rid of the truck a Porsche family is a happy family
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #3

Why are you ruling out a second hand Cayenne Turbo?
I'd get one of those until the Macans had a bit more mileage under them.
If I were to hold onto a 987 it would have to be 2009 or newer.
The mileage of the 996 is probably ripe for a sale, plenty of other issues aside from engine.
If such a thing exists, would rent a truck for the trailer on a need to use basis.

My perfect garage:
964 RS
Boxster GT4 (assuming they make one)
Tesla Model S P85D 416 HP
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-04-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #4

You should dump the '04… in my driveway!!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #5

I haven't seen a bad review of the Macan and while I haven't driven one, they are absolutely beautiful and comfortable based on my brief time in one at a Porsche showroom. If you can make it work, get it. Reviews certainly favour the Macan over the Cayenne. Little smaller, more nimble, quicker, yet just as comfy and awesome.

Maybe you could get a nice package deal. Trade in the 996 and the two Boxes and get a Macan and an 09+ Box (or sell all privately to max out your return). You could probably do away with the truck with a trailer added on, although trucks can be pretty handy.

Anyways, that's my .02 cents. I'm not worried about the Macan's history. Lots of new cars have been rolled out and have not had a bit of trouble.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Why are you ruling out a second hand Cayenne Turbo?
I'd get one of those until the Macans had a bit more mileage under them.
If I were to hold onto a 987 it would have to be 2009 or newer.
The mileage of the 996 is probably ripe for a sale, plenty of other issues aside from engine.
If such a thing exists, would rent a truck for the trailer on a need to use basis.

My perfect garage:
964 RS
Boxster GT4 (assuming they make one)
Tesla Model S P85D 416 HP
I drove both the Macan and the Cayenne and there is no comparison. The cayenne is just another SUV in my opinion. A very nice one, but I was not impressed with it handling wise. On the other hand, the Macan, while not a sportscar, handles much more like one than the cayenne. Just my opinion.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I drove both the Macan and the Cayenne and there is no comparison. The cayenne is just another SUV in my opinion. A very nice one, but I was not impressed with it handling wise. On the other hand, the Macan, while not a sportscar, handles much more like one than the cayenne. Just my opinion.
I agree, Cayenne handling is very impressive for a SUV, Macan Handling is impressive period. I would love to have one if cost was not an issue. Be aware they are still in short supply as they sell on average 10 days after arriving at a dealer.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #8

My son in law has a turbo. Had to wait six months to get it. Before this he had a Vette Stingray. He actually said it was more fun then his stingray.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #9

Quote:
isn't kind of small inside? I've seen a few zipping around here and in NYC and I kind of don't get it. Sure you get the handling, but you're giving up space. For an urban driver I don't get it at all. You're not going to be able to go very fast anywhere to appreciate the handling. It seems like a very niche car, for the "Town and Country" driver who lives in a city and needs to get out to their muddy/snowy estate on the weekend. If your a suburban driver, typically you have a car for each season where you can get out in the open and really rave about the handling of your go fast car, or the clearance/utility of your winter car. Seems redundant to have the hybrid of both while also having the go fast car and the winter car.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:44 AM   #10

Quote:
isn't kind of small inside? I've seen a few zipping around here and in NYC and I kind of don't get it. Sure you get the handling, but you're giving up space. For an urban driver I don't get it at all. You're not going to be able to go very fast anywhere to appreciate the handling. It seems like a very niche car, for the "Town and Country" driver who lives in a city and needs to get out to their muddy/snowy estate on the weekend. If your a suburban driver, typically you have a car for each season where you can get out in the open and really rave about the handling of your go fast car, or the clearance/utility of your winter car. Seems redundant to have the hybrid of both while also having the go fast car and the winter car.
I saw a caravan of Macans doing what appeared to be a rally, they had the rally stickers pasted everywhere, when I was travelling east last fall. About 8 or 10 Macans were with us for a while on and off. We would stop and see them at rest stops, gas stations, etc. I talked to one of the guys driving and he loved his.
I agree about having to get one at some point. Used for me. So it will be while.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #11

I think the bigger and more important question is this:

Is your retirement account fully funded? And if it is, would putting the Macan money with it make for less concern in your golden years?

When you're 80 and you can no longer work you won't care what kind of car you spoiled yourself with when you were much younger. It will be long gone and just a faded memory. You'll just wish you'd saved more, invested it safely, and held on to it for the days when it matters most.

Now if you're already retired mountain man and you have wads of extra cash you don't need for long term care, I would highly recommend a Macan Turbo sooner than later. I will be moving to NC in a few years for retirement and we can go driving around in our Pcars!!!!!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 06-05-2015 at 10:04 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Along the same lines as your reply to my post in the GT3 thread where you objected to my meme based on a set of criteria... can't someone just like something and not have a thought out rationale? Hmmm?

Anyway, I love the Macans. Would have seriously considered one if it was available on 1/2013. But, having since been released, I don't know that it would work for me. This space isn't enough and would like something more retractable that the flip-up panel.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
Along the same lines as your reply to my post in the GT3 thread where you objected to my meme based on a set of criteria... can't someone just like something and not have a thought out rationale? Hmmm?

Anyway, I love the Macans. Would have seriously considered one if it was available on 1/2013. But, having since been released, I don't know that it would work for me. This space isn't enough and would like something more retractable that the flip-up panel.

Come on, cfos, you've been 'round here long enough to be more than very familiar w/ PL's soapbox...

In any event, the Macan is a great vehicle. Have had one in the stable since about this time LY (ordered right after seeing in person at Detroit 2014 show). Handling is amazing - and especially so for a 4400# vehicle. Plenty of space and damn fun to drive. Rear hatch could be limiting for larger items but flip panel easily pops out should you need. Personally haven't run into that issue b/c if I need to haul something that big I'll just take our SUV
Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I think the bigger and more important question is this:

Is your retirement account fully funded? And if it is, would putting the Macan money with it make for less concern in your golden years?

When you're 80 and you can no longer work you won't care what kind of car you spoiled yourself with when you were much younger. It will be long gone and just a faded memory. You'll just wish you'd saved more, invested it safely, and held on to it for the days when it matters most.

Now if you're already retired mountain man and you have wads of extra cash you don't need for long term care, I would highly recommend a Macan Turbo sooner than later. I will be moving to NC in a few years for retirement and we can go driving around in our Pcars!!!!!
These are the golden years. Been retired for 11 years. If you get to be 72 years old and can't afford to live where you want and drive what you want, you made some bad decisions somewhere along the way. Come to NC soon because I am getting older by the minute. I already have all the good roads mapped out and ready. Drove about 200 miles of them today with the top down and 60 music on the xm.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Come on, cfos, you've been 'round here long enough to be more than very familiar w/ PL's soapbox...

True, true.

Seriously though, for what I need it for and my current family status... sadly, I'm likely sticking with an X3. I am jealous of those that are able to do the Macan. Drive them in good health, and remember:

Last edited by cfos; 06-05-2015 at 02:01 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #16

Garage
I'm thinking of upgrading a Mazda CX-5 (not a bad car, but I hate the seats and lack of power) to a Macan S. Common sense says don't buy the Turbo, and if I did, I would probably talk myself into selling the Boxster... not going to happen. I need a standard in my life. Wifey is suggesting a test drive next weekend, with some friends from Europe. I asked "Are you kidding? Taking the car nut guy with us is like taking a cheer leading squad along". She may already be planning a European visit with them next year involving a German destination.
TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTrophy View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading a Mazda CX-5 (not a bad car, but I hate the seats and lack of power) to a Macan S. Common sense says don't buy the Turbo, and if I did, I would probably talk myself into selling the Boxster... not going to happen. I need a standard in my life. Wifey is suggesting a test drive next weekend, with some friends from Europe. I asked "Are you kidding? Taking the car nut guy with us is like taking a cheer leading squad along". She may already be planning a European visit with them next year involving a German destination.
You are aware that the Macan S is also a turbo right?
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #18

Garage
Every bit aware it has a turbo charged engine, but it is not THE Turbo. Common sense says the S is fast enough, and both are likely slower than my bike. I am still debating about waiting to see if they actually spring the diesel here.
TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:50 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTrophy View Post
Before getting serious about a macan, better check with your insurance company. I have cars with hagarty and also with farm bureau where I also have our homeowners and vacation rental cabins. Hagarty will not insure the macan as of now. Farm bureau will, but if I end up with just a boxster and a macan ( which is where I want to be ) then my insurance rate quadruples because both are porsches and considered "hot" cars. If I take the autos away from farm bureau in favor of a more reasonable company then I lose the discount on my homeowners that I get for having the autos with them which is substancial. I had anticipated that dealing with the dealer on the new macan would be the hard part, but it turns out that it isn't, insurance is. Looks like I have to switch all my insurance to make it work.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:52 AM   #20

Quote:
These are the golden years. Been retired for 11 years. If you get to be 72 years old and can't afford to live where you want and drive what you want, you made some bad decisions somewhere along the way. Come to NC soon because I am getting older by the minute. I already have all the good roads mapped out and ready. Drove about 200 miles of them today with the top down and 60 music on the xm.
72 and you have a stable of Porsches?! Good for you. If you have can swing it financially and are still sharp behind the wheel in retirement then should drive whatever in the world you like. My father had to give up his driving privileges by 70 but he was so not a car guy that he never splurged on a new car so he was happy to be able to take naps in the passenger seat.