Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
Registered User
 
mountainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Switzerland, north carolina
Posts: 551
Garage
Macan problem

Just made the mistake of driving a Macan turbo and the wife and I agree that there has to be one in our future. Awesome vehicle that would be great on trips (and we take a lot) and is no real compromise in the handling department.
My problem is that we already have too many vehicles and have already thought about downsizing, but what should go? I have a Toyota Tacoma pickup with 22K miles, an 04 996 C4 with 79K miles ( new installed engine at 46K miles), an 04 boxster S LE with 77K miles (recent ISB, RMS,AOS and DOF), and an 08 Boxster S with 35K miles.
I figure the Macan can replace the C4 and one boxster for sure which would still give me a boxster for my top down fix. And maybe with a small trailer for the Macan I could do without the truck We have vacation rental cabins along the blue ridge parkway and I have to make periodic trips to the recycling center, lowes, etc. Getting down to 2 vehicles would be great. Huge savings on insurance, license, tax, etc. Just can't decide which boxster gets the ax.
If you haven't driven a Macan, don't. You will want one.

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Fintro11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 893
Get rid of the truck a Porsche family is a happy family
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,708
Why are you ruling out a second hand Cayenne Turbo?
I'd get one of those until the Macans had a bit more mileage under them.
If I were to hold onto a 987 it would have to be 2009 or newer.
The mileage of the 996 is probably ripe for a sale, plenty of other issues aside from engine.
If such a thing exists, would rent a truck for the trailer on a need to use basis.

My perfect garage:
964 RS
Boxster GT4 (assuming they make one)
Tesla Model S P85D 416 HP
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-04-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
Registered User
 
happygilmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilbraham, ma
Posts: 65
You should dump the '04… in my driveway!!
__________________
_________________
1999 BOXSTER
happygilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Giller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Listowel, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,120
I haven't seen a bad review of the Macan and while I haven't driven one, they are absolutely beautiful and comfortable based on my brief time in one at a Porsche showroom. If you can make it work, get it. Reviews certainly favour the Macan over the Cayenne. Little smaller, more nimble, quicker, yet just as comfy and awesome.

Maybe you could get a nice package deal. Trade in the 996 and the two Boxes and get a Macan and an 09+ Box (or sell all privately to max out your return). You could probably do away with the truck with a trailer added on, although trucks can be pretty handy.

Anyways, that's my .02 cents. I'm not worried about the Macan's history. Lots of new cars have been rolled out and have not had a bit of trouble.
__________________
2011 Boxster 987.2 Arctic silver / Black leather, PDK with Sports Chrono Package Plus
Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
Registered User
 
mountainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Switzerland, north carolina
Posts: 551
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Why are you ruling out a second hand Cayenne Turbo?
I'd get one of those until the Macans had a bit more mileage under them.
If I were to hold onto a 987 it would have to be 2009 or newer.
The mileage of the 996 is probably ripe for a sale, plenty of other issues aside from engine.
If such a thing exists, would rent a truck for the trailer on a need to use basis.

My perfect garage:
964 RS
Boxster GT4 (assuming they make one)
Tesla Model S P85D 416 HP
I drove both the Macan and the Cayenne and there is no comparison. The cayenne is just another SUV in my opinion. A very nice one, but I was not impressed with it handling wise. On the other hand, the Macan, while not a sportscar, handles much more like one than the cayenne. Just my opinion.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,411
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I drove both the Macan and the Cayenne and there is no comparison. The cayenne is just another SUV in my opinion. A very nice one, but I was not impressed with it handling wise. On the other hand, the Macan, while not a sportscar, handles much more like one than the cayenne. Just my opinion.
I agree, Cayenne handling is very impressive for a SUV, Macan Handling is impressive period. I would love to have one if cost was not an issue. Be aware they are still in short supply as they sell on average 10 days after arriving at a dealer.
__________________
Jerk that is constantly criticzing new forum members and overly advertising my rebuilt engine for sale for a highly inflating price along with other miscellaneous parts accumulated over my 20 years of ownership.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 524
My son in law has a turbo. Had to wait six months to get it. Before this he had a Vette Stingray. He actually said it was more fun then his stingray.
__________________
2008 Boxster S PDE2
02 Boxster S Blk on Blk(Stock for the Wife)
88 turbo S (My Toy) slightly modified
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I drove both the Macan and the Cayenne and there is no comparison. The cayenne is just another SUV in my opinion. A very nice one, but I was not impressed with it handling wise. On the other hand, the Macan, while not a sportscar, handles much more like one than the cayenne. Just my opinion.
isn't kind of small inside? I've seen a few zipping around here and in NYC and I kind of don't get it. Sure you get the handling, but you're giving up space. For an urban driver I don't get it at all. You're not going to be able to go very fast anywhere to appreciate the handling. It seems like a very niche car, for the "Town and Country" driver who lives in a city and needs to get out to their muddy/snowy estate on the weekend. If your a suburban driver, typically you have a car for each season where you can get out in the open and really rave about the handling of your go fast car, or the clearance/utility of your winter car. Seems redundant to have the hybrid of both while also having the go fast car and the winter car.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:44 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
isn't kind of small inside? I've seen a few zipping around here and in NYC and I kind of don't get it. Sure you get the handling, but you're giving up space. For an urban driver I don't get it at all. You're not going to be able to go very fast anywhere to appreciate the handling. It seems like a very niche car, for the "Town and Country" driver who lives in a city and needs to get out to their muddy/snowy estate on the weekend. If your a suburban driver, typically you have a car for each season where you can get out in the open and really rave about the handling of your go fast car, or the clearance/utility of your winter car. Seems redundant to have the hybrid of both while also having the go fast car and the winter car.
I saw a caravan of Macans doing what appeared to be a rally, they had the rally stickers pasted everywhere, when I was travelling east last fall. About 8 or 10 Macans were with us for a while on and off. We would stop and see them at rest stops, gas stations, etc. I talked to one of the guys driving and he loved his.
I agree about having to get one at some point. Used for me. So it will be while.
__________________
2002 Boxster S Polar Silver Metallic, Hard Top
2016 4Runner TEP
Muzzle of Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,240
I think the bigger and more important question is this:

Is your retirement account fully funded? And if it is, would putting the Macan money with it make for less concern in your golden years?

When you're 80 and you can no longer work you won't care what kind of car you spoiled yourself with when you were much younger. It will be long gone and just a faded memory. You'll just wish you'd saved more, invested it safely, and held on to it for the days when it matters most.

Now if you're already retired mountain man and you have wads of extra cash you don't need for long term care, I would highly recommend a Macan Turbo sooner than later. I will be moving to NC in a few years for retirement and we can go driving around in our Pcars!!!!!
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 06-05-2015 at 10:04 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
isn't kind of small inside? I've seen a few zipping around here and in NYC and I kind of don't get it. Sure you get the handling, but you're giving up space. For an urban driver I don't get it at all. You're not going to be able to go very fast anywhere to appreciate the handling. It seems like a very niche car, for the "Town and Country" driver who lives in a city and needs to get out to their muddy/snowy estate on the weekend. If your a suburban driver, typically you have a car for each season where you can get out in the open and really rave about the handling of your go fast car, or the clearance/utility of your winter car. Seems redundant to have the hybrid of both while also having the go fast car and the winter car.
Along the same lines as your reply to my post in the GT3 thread where you objected to my meme based on a set of criteria... can't someone just like something and not have a thought out rationale? Hmmm?

Anyway, I love the Macans. Would have seriously considered one if it was available on 1/2013. But, having since been released, I don't know that it would work for me. This space isn't enough and would like something more retractable that the flip-up panel.

__________________
2k13 Boxster Amaranth Red/Black
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In the garage...
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
Along the same lines as your reply to my post in the GT3 thread where you objected to my meme based on a set of criteria... can't someone just like something and not have a thought out rationale? Hmmm?

Anyway, I love the Macans. Would have seriously considered one if it was available on 1/2013. But, having since been released, I don't know that it would work for me. This space isn't enough and would like something more retractable that the flip-up panel.

Come on, cfos, you've been 'round here long enough to be more than very familiar w/ PL's soapbox...

In any event, the Macan is a great vehicle. Have had one in the stable since about this time LY (ordered right after seeing in person at Detroit 2014 show). Handling is amazing - and especially so for a 4400# vehicle. Plenty of space and damn fun to drive. Rear hatch could be limiting for larger items but flip panel easily pops out should you need. Personally haven't run into that issue b/c if I need to haul something that big I'll just take our SUV
__________________
"Cool Prius!"
- Nobody
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #14
Registered User
 
mountainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Switzerland, north carolina
Posts: 551
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I think the bigger and more important question is this:

Is your retirement account fully funded? And if it is, would putting the Macan money with it make for less concern in your golden years?

When you're 80 and you can no longer work you won't care what kind of car you spoiled yourself with when you were much younger. It will be long gone and just a faded memory. You'll just wish you'd saved more, invested it safely, and held on to it for the days when it matters most.

Now if you're already retired mountain man and you have wads of extra cash you don't need for long term care, I would highly recommend a Macan Turbo sooner than later. I will be moving to NC in a few years for retirement and we can go driving around in our Pcars!!!!!
These are the golden years. Been retired for 11 years. If you get to be 72 years old and can't afford to live where you want and drive what you want, you made some bad decisions somewhere along the way. Come to NC soon because I am getting older by the minute. I already have all the good roads mapped out and ready. Drove about 200 miles of them today with the top down and 60 music on the xm.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Come on, cfos, you've been 'round here long enough to be more than very familiar w/ PL's soapbox...


True, true.



Seriously though, for what I need it for and my current family status... sadly, I'm likely sticking with an X3. I am jealous of those that are able to do the Macan. Drive them in good health, and remember:

__________________
2k13 Boxster Amaranth Red/Black

Last edited by cfos; 06-05-2015 at 02:01 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 67
Garage
I'm thinking of upgrading a Mazda CX-5 (not a bad car, but I hate the seats and lack of power) to a Macan S. Common sense says don't buy the Turbo, and if I did, I would probably talk myself into selling the Boxster... not going to happen. I need a standard in my life. Wifey is suggesting a test drive next weekend, with some friends from Europe. I asked "Are you kidding? Taking the car nut guy with us is like taking a cheer leading squad along". She may already be planning a European visit with them next year involving a German destination.
TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTrophy View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading a Mazda CX-5 (not a bad car, but I hate the seats and lack of power) to a Macan S. Common sense says don't buy the Turbo, and if I did, I would probably talk myself into selling the Boxster... not going to happen. I need a standard in my life. Wifey is suggesting a test drive next weekend, with some friends from Europe. I asked "Are you kidding? Taking the car nut guy with us is like taking a cheer leading squad along". She may already be planning a European visit with them next year involving a German destination.
You are aware that the Macan S is also a turbo right?
__________________
2008 Boxster S PDE2
02 Boxster S Blk on Blk(Stock for the Wife)
88 turbo S (My Toy) slightly modified
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 67
Garage
Every bit aware it has a turbo charged engine, but it is not THE Turbo. Common sense says the S is fast enough, and both are likely slower than my bike. I am still debating about waiting to see if they actually spring the diesel here.
TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:50 AM   #19
Registered User
 
mountainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Switzerland, north carolina
Posts: 551
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTrophy View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading a Mazda CX-5 (not a bad car, but I hate the seats and lack of power) to a Macan S. Common sense says don't buy the Turbo, and if I did, I would probably talk myself into selling the Boxster... not going to happen. I need a standard in my life. Wifey is suggesting a test drive next weekend, with some friends from Europe. I asked "Are you kidding? Taking the car nut guy with us is like taking a cheer leading squad along". She may already be planning a European visit with them next year involving a German destination.
Before getting serious about a macan, better check with your insurance company. I have cars with hagarty and also with farm bureau where I also have our homeowners and vacation rental cabins. Hagarty will not insure the macan as of now. Farm bureau will, but if I end up with just a boxster and a macan ( which is where I want to be ) then my insurance rate quadruples because both are porsches and considered "hot" cars. If I take the autos away from farm bureau in favor of a more reasonable company then I lose the discount on my homeowners that I get for having the autos with them which is substancial. I had anticipated that dealing with the dealer on the new macan would be the hard part, but it turns out that it isn't, insurance is. Looks like I have to switch all my insurance to make it work.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:52 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
These are the golden years. Been retired for 11 years. If you get to be 72 years old and can't afford to live where you want and drive what you want, you made some bad decisions somewhere along the way. Come to NC soon because I am getting older by the minute. I already have all the good roads mapped out and ready. Drove about 200 miles of them today with the top down and 60 music on the xm.
72 and you have a stable of Porsches?! Good for you. If you have can swing it financially and are still sharp behind the wheel in retirement then should drive whatever in the world you like. My father had to give up his driving privileges by 70 but he was so not a car guy that he never splurged on a new car so he was happy to be able to take naps in the passenger seat.

__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page