Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2014, 03:27 AM   #21
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzl210 View Post
Every car group has the smart ass that has nothing to add except for a snide useless comment.

I do kind of like that Cayman spoiler, some type of "whale tale" addition to the factory one would be nice.

I don't want some flashy aftermarket Fast and Furious crap, I'm just trying to find something subtle that basically looks factory. To me the proportions of the Boxster are kind of off, the front and back are basically the same.
I like to think I add what I can, when I can, and do my best to help, thanks.

An "opinion on spoilers" thread and you whine about a small joke? You must be a joy to live with.....not sure the pics of the mega spoilers helped either, but I laughed..

Snide? Really? I never said he would never find one that looked good. I'm watching this thread myself, thanks.

Last edited by Timco; 12-29-2014 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Call out old geezer with no sense of humor.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #22

I actually like the RWB spoiler.... Screw me right?
ルーカス is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #23

You will have to balance a large spoiler with some kind of front equivalent in order to maintain handling at speed so add that to the cost and weight you will be adding. Weight robs performance but to each his own. One of the main reasons I like the Boxster design is the smooth rounded lines un- encumbered by "spoilers" etc. I am delighted that the rear 'air dam' comes up only when needed then tucks away out of sight. Just my dos centavos but then I am an old guy and what do I know. Fashion can be a cruel master.....

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #24

Is something like this more in line with what we are looking for?

Porsche 1997 2004 Boxster 986 Retractable Lift Rear Wing Trunk Spoiler | eBay

Attached Images

pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Every car group has the smart ass that has nothing to add except for a snide useless comment.

I do kind of like that Cayman spoiler, some type of "whale tale" addition to the factory one would be nice.

I don't want some flashy aftermarket Fast and Furious crap, I'm just trying to find something subtle that basically looks factory. To me the proportions of the Boxster are kind of off, the front and back are basically the same.
Is it hard to walk or sit down with your undies in such a large, tight wad? Just curious
Old 12-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #26
Living in the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
I like to think I add what I can, when I can, and do my best to help, thanks.

An "opinion on spoilers" thread and you whine about a small joke? You must be a joy to live with.....not sure the pics of the mega spoilers helped either, but I laughed..

Snide? Really? I never said he would never find one that looked good. I'm watching this thread myself, thanks.
Actually, nobody asked for your opinion, you just assumed that. The thread title is "Rear spoiler ideas". You know, actual ideas? Not just the same old dudes posting the same lame-ass opinions and idiotic pictures.

It sure would be nice to have a valid spoiler thread that wasn't always ruined by the same useless crap.

Oh, and while we are on the subject of dumb-assery, this "he" you refer to (the OP) is the same person you were addressing in that reply. Do you always address the person you are talking to by "he" or "she"? "You" is more appropriate in those situations
Reading is haaaaard!

Last edited by tonichristi; 12-29-2014 at 09:02 AM.
tonichristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony13ca View Post
Is something like this more in line with what we are looking for?

Porsche 1997 2004 Boxster 986 Retractable Lift Rear Wing Trunk Spoiler | eBay

Yes that is along the lines of what I would want. I'm curious if this could be modified to fit onto the top of the OEM blade ? I wounder why it was designed to remove the original and replace it vs. be added to it ?
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #28

Quote:

Who say's it was a useless comment? I thought it was rather funny and therefore, added value to my reading of this thread, just like the giant spoilers...and yes, even the miata pic.

Humour seems to be a lost art these days.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Yes that is along the lines of what I would want. I'm curious if this could be modified to fit onto the top of the OEM blade ? I wounder why it was designed to remove the original and replace it vs. be added to it ?
when Porsche went to the cayman they removed the dam andadded the spoiler lip. the 987 boxster keeps a spoiler similar to the 986. uncertain if the fastback has different airflow characteristics than the roadster, or if the fastback had different aesthetic requirements than the roadster. probably a bit of both.

you can buy the ebay product to convert the 986 to cayman style, or actually use a cayman rear spoiler (required modification of the rear bumper cover as per cheetah). fluid987 make some really nice exaggerated cayman style spoilers, but none that work for the 986:

otherwise, if you want to retain the 986 style spoiler but add a lip to the top of it, there was a product out (by I think a Swedish company) that did something like that but can't find a pic anywhere anymore so most likely no longer available.

edit!!! found it:

http://www.auto-gruppen.se/webshop/styling_eng/produkter/bilstyling-exterior/kjolpaket-kaross/porsche/boxster/vingar.html

Last edited by The Radium King; 12-29-2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: found it!!
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #30
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Actually, nobody asked for your opinion, you just assumed that. The thread title is "Rear spoiler ideas". You know, actual ideas? Not just the same old dudes posting the same lame-ass opinions and idiotic pictures.
I'm an old dude, maybe a couple years older than Timco. I wasn't personally offended when the OP said that the back of my Boxsters are ugly:

Quote:
The back of the Boxster IMO is kind of lacking...
I was amused that he didn't like most of the modified ones either:

Quote:
...but many of the results on Google were disgusting.
No offense if that car is anyone here, just not my taste at all.
Early on it was easy to see this would be a good thread to watch. A good mix of the absurd and practicality with a sprinkle of narcissistic outrage.

Clearly there is an opening for a well engineered, light weight, and good looking mod for the back end of the 986s. Maybe some day Nine8six will get that DIY thread going?
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonichristi View Post
Not just the same old dudes posting the same lame-ass opinions and idiotic pictures.
While I'm sure you can be more offensive, this is right up there.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #32

+1.

I see that the OP is fairly new here and judging by his reaction/comments, he probably does not understand the kind of camaraderie on this forum (yet). Timco is as nice and helpful as they come - I will vouch for him personally as I am sure also will a lot of other members on here. As far as his comment goes, I certainly enjoy a little humor thrown into the mix so I see nothing wrong with it. I understand that not everyone finds the same things funny, but it does't hurt to play nice fellas! Now back to the topic and lets all focus on the joy of owning a Boxster and discussing our opinions and ideas in an open forum.

Happy Boxstering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Who say's it was a useless comment? I thought it was rather funny and therefore, added value to my reading of this thread, just like the giant spoilers...and yes, even the miata pic.

Humour seems to be a lost art these days.
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #33

Love is in the air at the this glorious time of the year.

Ding Dong Ding Dong, Christmas bells are ringing!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #34

Garage
If you remove the air dam how are you gonna confuse people when you pass them with things like this:
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #35

Garage

Sometimes a sticker is all you need! Keep the well functioning spoiler but slap a sticker on.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #36
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Great, so now its a "show us your @ss thread".

I'm in:

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #37
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonichristi View Post

It sure would be nice to have a valid spoiler thread that wasn't always ruined by the same useless crap.

Oh, and while we are on the subject of dumb-assery, this "he" you refer to (the OP) is the same person you were addressing in that reply. Do you always address the person you are talking to by "he" or "she"? "You" is more appropriate in those situations
Reading is haaaaard!
Very classless. Sorry my posts fall short of your expectations. Feel free to look for me in the next thread, though.

"A valid spoiler thread." [lol]

And 43 is NOT old.......

Last edited by Timco; 12-29-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #38

Aerokit 1 is the best 986 spoiler mixed with aerokit 2 bumper and skirts.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Clearly there is an opening for a well engineered, light weight, and good looking mod for the back end of the 986s. Maybe some day Nine8six will get that DIY thread going?
I won't lie, it came to mind. Some here had excellent ideas by pointing out the fact that someone should make use of the existing mechanism for a revolutionary spoiler system for both the Boxsters and Cayman. Something retractable that when deployed... it unfold itself a-la-panamera spoiler. Might be a bit "Transformer-age" dunno but digging the idea anyway. Carbon fiber, aluminum mechanism, TI gears/pivots....

Room for something cool indeed. I'll see if I can pull off a few sketches beg on 2015. Of course I'll check with you guys before and refine the idea using the forum community brains
Old 12-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #40

^ something in the line of.... but better (of course lol)