Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #1

2002 With 28,000 Miles - Pricing

My friend is planning to buy a 2002 with 28,000 miles for $26,000. He's having a PPI done tomorrow. Any comments about the deal? Here are the particular's:

2002 Porsche Boxster, 5 speed manual, Lapis Blue Metallic with Savanna Beige Leather interior 2.7 Liter six cylinder engine 217 hp Sports Package with 17"Wheels CD player AM/FM radio

I'm still trying to develop pricing data and get a feel for the market before I start making offers. This looks like it is in line with Kelly and Edmunds estimates.

Thanks

KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:54 AM   #2

Sounds like a good deal to me...
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:13 AM   #3

Check KBB private party values, NADA values and then the Auto Trader online for comp. values. This should give you an idea if you are in the ballpark. All values on available online.

Good luck on the buy!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:03 AM   #4

consumer reports

Does it surprise anyonev that Porsche was rated 36 of 36 ( that's last place) by comsumer reports on reliability this week.
aghfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghfella
Does it surprise anyonev that Porsche was rated 36 of 36 ( that's last place) by comsumer reports on reliability this week.
Suggest you move this to a dedicated thread and provide the data you reference.

We would love to chat about the topic sans sarcasm?

Old 03-02-2006, 09:05 AM   #6

Since when does consumer reports rank brands? I've only ever seen them rank specific vehicles or items...
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghfella
Can you show us the study?
I can show you a study...
Old 03-02-2006, 01:01 PM   #8

The original poster is silent as the grave!

Old 03-02-2006, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephidaboost
Can you show us the study?
I can show you a study...
Oh how the great and mighty MB has fallen.....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
The original poster is silent as the grave!
No I'm not - I just had a busy day.

My friend corrected me - he said the car only has 24k on the clock. It passed the PPI with flying colors, so he is closing the deal tomorrow. I hope to get off work early enough to take him to pick it up.

The car I'm considering is a 98 with 17k and a hardtop. The consensus on the price is between $18,500 and $19,000. If my friend can buy a nice 02 for $26,000, that gives me hope that I can pick up the 98 for a good price. The 02 has the upgraded interior and bigger engine after all.

I'm talking to the mechanic who replaced the engine in the 98 tonight. I need to get a better feel for the circumstances that led to the replacement.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the feedback - even if some of it was off topic.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #11

my advice to you would be hold off on this Boxster purchase.
Acrue some more capital and buy at least a 2000 S.
In two years time a low mileage 2000S - 2003S will be an outstanding deal.

I wanted three things in the following order of importance

1- S power (this cannot be over emphasized).
2. low miles (ditto, there are allot of former garage queens out there to buy)
3. my favorite color.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #12

Sorry, I mislead. I meant the fellow that posted the off topic issue on service reliability.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
No I'm not - I just had a busy day.

My friend corrected me - he said the car only has 24k on the clock. It passed the PPI with flying colors, so he is closing the deal tomorrow. I hope to get off work early enough to take him to pick it up.

The car I'm considering is a 98 with 17k and a hardtop. The consensus on the price is between $18,500 and $19,000. If my friend can buy a nice 02 for $26,000, that gives me hope that I can pick up the 98 for a good price. The 02 has the upgraded interior and bigger engine after all.

I'm talking to the mechanic who replaced the engine in the 98 tonight. I need to get a better feel for the circumstances that led to the replacement.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the feedback - even if some of it was off topic.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
my advice to you would be hold off on this Boxster purchase.
Acrue some more capital and buy at least a 2000 S.
In two years time a low mileage 2000S - 2003S will be an outstanding deal.

I wanted three things in the following order of importance

1- S power (this cannot be over emphasized).
2. low miles (ditto, there are allot of former garage queens out there to buy)
3. my favorite color.

I considered the Boxster S, and wouldn't rule it out if a nice one came along. Unfortunately the nice ones seem to be $8-10k above my price range right now. If I buy the 98, I could always sell it and buy an S later.

Here's my thinking: To buy a Boxster now, I need to sell my 94 Miata with 118k miles on it. If I buy a Boxster S in two years, I will still need to sell the Miata, and it will have depreciated more than it has now. If I buy the 98 Boxster now and decide to sell it in two years to buy the S, it will probably have depreciated about the same amount as my Miata would. So, instead of selling a 14 year old Miata in 2008, I would have to sell a 10-year old Boxster. If I drive the cars at the same rate (approximately 11k miles per year), I would be trying to sell a Boxster with 40k on it versus a Miata with 138k on it.

So, under this scenario, I would enjoy the 98 Boxster for 2 years and probably be only a little worse off financially from a depreciation standpoint. Of course, operation and maintenance costs on the Boxster are higher as well, but that comes with the territory.

While it is true that the S has more power, the 98 Boxster is significantly quicker than a 94 Miata. So, I would be experiencing a significant upgrade. If I should need more power later, I will have something to look forward to. Also, I think I might be tempted to treat an S more gingerly and not drive it as much. In my view, I would rather buy a garage queen than sell one.

Of course you guys are more experienced than me with these issues, so I am willing to modify my point of view. I haven't spent any money yet and I am still in a research mode.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:41 PM   #14

"Comsumer" Reports? I subscribe to Consumer Reports and they do rate the new Cayenne 2nd to last in the New Cars/Midsize SUV category.

In their Used Car section, here's their Best & Worst:

BEST & WORST

These 2006 models earned the highest and lowest Predicted Reliability Ratings, based on CR's 2005 reliability survey. Models marked with "(2005)" have been redesigned for 2006. Vehicles marked with "*" indicate data is based on one model year only.

Most reliable

Vehicles listed in scoring order, starting with the best score.

SMALL CARS: Toyota Echo, Honda Civic (2005), Toyota Prius, Honda Civic Hybrid (2005), Toyota Corolla, Subaru Impreza (non turbo).

SPORTY CARS/
CONVERTIBLES/COUPES:
Honda S2000, Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005), Lexus SC430, Chevrolet Monte Carlo (2005).

SEDANS: Lexus GS300/GS430*, Infiniti M35/M45*, Lexus IS300 (2005), Honda Accord Hybrid*, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord 4-cyl., Lexus LS430.

WAGONS: Toyota Matrix.

MINIVANS: No models for this category.

SMALL SUVS: Toyota RAV4 (2005), Honda CR-V, Honda Element, Subaru Forester, Mercury Mariner*, Mitsubishi Outlander.

MIDSIZED SUVS: Lexus RX400h (Hybrid)*, Toyota Highlander, Toyota 4Runner (V8), Infiniti FX35.

LARGE SUVS: Toyota Land Cruiser.

PICKUP TRUCKS: Honda Ridgeline*, Toyota Tundra.

Least reliable

Vehicles listed in scoring order, starting with the worst score.

SMALL CARS: Chevrolet Cobalt*.

SPORTY CARS/
CONVERTIBLES/COUPES:
Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible, Mercedes-Benz SL, Mercedes-Benz CLK, Ford Mustang (V6)*, Chevrolet Corvette*, Audi S4.

SEDANS: Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Saab 9-3, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 5 Series (V8), Audi A8, Chrysler 300 (V8)*, BMW 7 Series.

WAGONS: Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Volkswagen Passat (V6) (2005), Volvo V50*.

MINIVANS: Nissan Quest, Buick Terraza*, Chevrolet Uplander*, Pontiac Montana SV6*, Saturn Relay*.

SMALL SUVS: Saturn Vue (AWD), Hyundai Tucson*, Kia Sportage*.

MIDSIZED SUVS: Volkswagen Touareg, Porsche Cayenne, Land Rover LR3*, Land Rover Range Rover*, Ford Explorer (2005), Mercury Mountaineer (2005), Jeep Grand Cherokee*, Ford Freestyle (AWD)*, Cadillac SRX, Volvo XC90, Chevrolet TrailBlazer (V8), GMC Envoy (V8), BMW X5 (V8).

LARGE SUVS: Infiniti QX56, Nissan Armada, Hummer H2, Lincoln Navigator, Ford Expedition.

PICKUP TRUCKS: Nissan Titan, Chevrolet Colorado (4WD), GMC Canyon (4WD).

Here's their Used Model Overview for the Boxster:
Old 03-02-2006, 06:44 PM   #15

BTW, the red is good, the black is bad. Sorry, aghfella. Hey, wanna go quail hunting with the VP? I can hook you up!
Old 03-02-2006, 07:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogans7
BTW, the red is good, the black is bad. Sorry, aghfella. Hey, wanna go quail hunting with the VP? I can hook you up!

Leave the politics alone, we want an peaceful forum here.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #17

[QUOTE=KevinH1990]
While it is true that the S has more power, the 98 Boxster is significantly quicker than a 94 Miata. So, I would be experiencing a significant upgrade. If I should need more power later, I will have something to look forward to. Also, I think I might be tempted to treat an S more gingerly and not drive it as much. In my view, I would rather buy a garage queen than sell one.

[QUOTE]

my last convertible was also a 94 miata (lots of upgrades). The 98 Boxster is a 2.5? (I think 2000 was the first year with a 2.7 in a non-S) My Miata had some mods and it was 150 HP the 2.5 Boxster engine is not quiet 200 hp but a bigger and heavier car. For the money I think my Miata was not really a huge step down in the hanlding and acceleration department and that's comparing a 1.8 Miata to a 3.2 Boxster.

But I hear your concerns about a depreciating Miata. I made sure to make mods at bargain prices and it worked out in the end. I sold the little bullet proof autocross favorite with 110K miles for $7,000 in Nov. 2004. And had offers for more. I stole it for $5K and added another $4500 in mods after owning it for 5 years. If the S is out of your reach I would urge you to buy at least the 2.7
lots of redesign to the engine beginig in 2000 after complaints on some 2.5's.

I'm not sure how the 2nd hand s2000's are selling but I highly recommend that car to hold you over until you step into the BoxsterS. I not sure I would have ever sold the S2000 if I had. Its like the Miata: bulletproof, nice gearbox, great handling (engine sits behind the front shock mounts), and good resale.
The most knowledgeable sports car guy I know had a BoxsterS, now has a GT3 and decided to pick up an S2000 as his daily driver. He'll probably be selling the S2000 for the CaymanS.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I considered the Boxster S, and wouldn't rule it out if a nice one came along. Unfortunately the nice ones seem to be $8-10k above my price range right now. If I buy the 98, I could always sell it and buy an S later.

Here's my thinking: To buy a Boxster now, I need to sell my 94 Miata with 118k miles on it. If I buy a Boxster S in two years, I will still need to sell the Miata, and it will have depreciated more than it has now. If I buy the 98 Boxster now and decide to sell it in two years to buy the S, it will probably have depreciated about the same amount as my Miata would. So, instead of selling a 14 year old Miata in 2008, I would have to sell a 10-year old Boxster. If I drive the cars at the same rate (approximately 11k miles per year), I would be trying to sell a Boxster with 40k on it versus a Miata with 138k on it.

So, under this scenario, I would enjoy the 98 Boxster for 2 years and probably be only a little worse off financially from a depreciation standpoint. Of course, operation and maintenance costs on the Boxster are higher as well, but that comes with the territory.

Of course you guys are more experienced than me with these issues, so I am willing to modify my point of view. I haven't spent any money yet and I am still in a research mode.

I believe your logic is sound as any. I have a 98 Boxster bought used and I'm happy with it. I wanted a car that I would drive and not become too obsessed with how pretty and clean it was (okay, so I struggle with the second part.) I also wanted a fun car that I could still use to run errands that might require me to go to the not so great parts of town and not worry about it. I tried out the Toyota MR2 and Mazda Miata but for whatever reason, it just didn't get my blood boiling and visually neither are satisfying. For me, $8 to $10k is significant at this point in my life. I lay no claims to being the world's greatest driver and I don't want to fall into the trap of the poor carpenter blaming his tools. The 98 Boxster possesses the great handling of a Porsche and I need to master control of that before complaining that I don't have enough power. Sure, I'm disappointed in the launch but it's a great car in traffic, dodging oblivious SUV, minivan, and pickup drivers that dominate the roads I drive. I get a kick out of driving in 2nd or 3rd gear around town, top down, sun shining down on me. I enjoy taking it out in the country experiencing the sights and sounds. Underpowered as it is, I still find roads where I can give it enough gas to quicken my heart. The driver enjoyment is there for me right now with the 98.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
I believe your logic is sound as any. I have a 98 Boxster bought used and I'm happy with it. I wanted a car that I would drive and not become too obsessed with how pretty and clean it was (okay, so I struggle with the second part.) I also wanted a fun car that I could still use to run errands that might require me to go to the not so great parts of town and not worry about it. I tried out the Toyota MR2 and Mazda Miata but for whatever reason, it just didn't get my blood boiling and visually neither are satisfying. For me, $8 to $10k is significant at this point in my life. I lay no claims to being the world's greatest driver and I don't want to fall into the trap of the poor carpenter blaming his tools. The 98 Boxster possesses the great handling of a Porsche and I need to master control of that before complaining that I don't have enough power. Sure, I'm disappointed in the launch but it's a great car in traffic, dodging oblivious SUV, minivan, and pickup drivers that dominate the roads I drive. I get a kick out of driving in 2nd or 3rd gear around town, top down, sun shining down on me. I enjoy taking it out in the country experiencing the sights and sounds. Underpowered as it is, I still find roads where I can give it enough gas to quicken my heart. The driver enjoyment is there for me right now with the 98.
Very well said.... I have a 99, non-S and love the car.. Would I want more power, sure, do I want to pay 10K for it no ehehhe

I will probably get a new 2005/06 in a few years when they start coming off lease, but for now I am more then happy with my ride.

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #20

Kevin,

It really sounds to me like you've got a good plan and I'm sure you'll find a vehicle you will truly enjoy. I wouldn't worry too much about the S, although it would probably hold its value better.

I love my 99. I love the way it looks top up or down, the sound as you punch through 4000 RPMs, and most definately the way it handles.

More power? Sure, I suppose that'd be nice - but it wouldn't change all those things I already love about the car. If you got an S, you'd probably still want more power - or haven't you noticed all the talk about superchargers and engine swaps? That ain't just the non-S crowd!

Can't wait to see what you get!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote