Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #21
jakesbox

Im boring too. My wife and I have been married 17 years and have had over 30 cars...but some of those were my toys. I am a Honda guy. Daily is an 07 accord with a big v6 and my wife drives a pilot. With all my toys though, I must say...my 89 944 turbo has got to be the most enjoyable and absolutely the most comfortable ride i have ever experienced. I loved my boxsters, loved them...but this 944 turbo is really something. When my kids are older, I will buy another and use as a daily. In Florida, we can get away with that kind of thing year round!

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #22

Honda or Toyota, never had a non scheduled maintainance repair on any of them. I'll never buy another German car

Last edited by kodabear; 02-06-2014 at 09:37 AM.
kodabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #23

Garage
Honda fit is the workhorse in the family. I imagine that car will last forever, but waiting for good weather to drive the Boxster seems like an eternity.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #24
l3m

Toyota and Honda for quality and longevity. I admire Honda for their success in F1. For dream cars, I am intrigued by Pagani and Koenigsegg. If you watch the documentaries on YT, it's amazing how they design and hand build their cars.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Honda was always my recomendation for quality vehicles at a good price. I'm not sure that is still true. Do you have experience with 2007 & newer?
My mother has owned many hondas, and she had an 08 Accord when they first came out, it grinded the break rotors very shortly after we bought it, tech said its because they went to midsize but didnt change the breaks at all, it was the first of a body style though, between my two sisters they have owned 5 civics just while in high school and collage, one now has a CR-V the other ran off to jeep. but the 07 civic was great, they both had 2010s as well which drove great, the old 97 civic was reliable as could be and my cousin now owns it, my sister has had no problems out of her 2013 CRV either. My mother moved on to Toyota when the pedals were sticking though because she knew she could get one for a steal of a deal and got 36 months no interest. She often says she misses her hondas though and has always liked acuras.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #26
Certified Boxster Addict

Triumph, MG, and Austin Healey. I love an original sports car! If they were more reliable, I doubt that I'd even own a Porsche.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #27
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Definitely Mercedes. I enjoy the hell out of my '95 E320 (last year for the W124). I used to be a huge Volkswagen guy, still miss my '07 Golf GTI though. That car was a hoot.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
My mother has owned many hondas, and she had an 08 Accord when they first came out, it grinded the break rotors very shortly after we bought it, tech said its because they went to midsize but didnt change the breaks at all, it was the first of a body style though, between my two sisters they have owned 5 civics just while in high school and collage, one now has a CR-V the other ran off to jeep. but the 07 civic was great, they both had 2010s as well which drove great, the old 97 civic was reliable as could be and my cousin now owns it, my sister has had no problems out of her 2013 CRV either. My mother moved on to Toyota when the pedals were sticking though because she knew she could get one for a steal of a deal and got 36 months no interest. She often says she misses her hondas though and has always liked acuras.
For whatever reason, the wife sees cars purely as appliances to be used for a purpose. When we no longer needed a minivan we decided to sell the Honda Odyssey and buy the wifey a new smallish SUV, since we typically keep our vehicles 8 to 10 years I prefer to pay a little more for exactly what we want. I told her to visit the Acura dealer and look at the RDX then to go to Lexus and look at the RX350 and give me her opinion. She did neither, she went straight to the Honda dealership and said "I want a white CRV with tan leather, heated seats and a moonroof, the cars you told me to look at are the same exact thing but more expensive". What the hell do you say to that?

The kids get either Toyota Corollas or Honda Civics (FWIW, from my experience both great cars, Toyotas ride rougher but get better gas mileage, Hondas get ~ 5 mpg less but ride / drive much nicer) as first vehicles, generally 4 to 6 years old with 40 to 60k miles, they are safe, reliable and frugal on gas. They are mine and will be sold to them at a very favorable price after completing college if they want them. If they want something sportier it will be on their dime.

Personally, I have been very fortunate and have owned a plethora of makes / models over the years, the older I get the less I honestly care about a dailey driver. As long as it is relatively comfortable and reliable, I'd get in it, turn the key and get to where I am going. One thing I have come to notice that I've heard from my car elders that I respect and now wholeheartedly agree with.........."it's much more fun to drive a slow car fast than drive a fast car slow".

I'm getting old...............
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Mercedes is the inventor of the automobile and has led the category since.
You obviously haven't experienced some of the garbage MB started knocking out in the late 90s! MB as it once was is long, long gone.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #30

Garage
if i had to take an suv it would be a very very hard choice for me between the cayanne turbo and the G65.......... who am i kidding G65 all day... my father was a service advisor with mercades for 13 years or so and he would always complain how the g class was one of the most exspensive vehicles but also the one with the worst build quality, they had 3 2013s on the lot with leaking sunroofs.... the worst thing that happened to the g wagon was urbanizing it... the same thing thats ruined many SUVs
Old 02-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #31
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I've always had a Honda since the 70s, currently have a Pilot. As far as another car, an S model Audi Quattro is a lot of fun in the winter.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
2002 viggen I drove has the quickest throttle response of any vehicle I've tested. Also most intriguing suspension. Good thread topic Jake!
My daily driver is a 2002 Viggen. Saab managed to work some real magic with their turbo tune. The Viggen has a pretty standard single high output turbo but the turbo lag is almost non-existent. Hit the accelerator and the car turns into a torque monster immediately. Not a car for everyone, too easy to thrash. I would be surprised if more than half of the original 3000 made are still alive.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn View Post
My daily driver is a 2002 Viggen. Saab managed to work some real magic with their turbo tune. The Viggen has a pretty standard single high output turbo but the turbo lag is almost non-existent. Hit the accelerator and the car turns into a torque monster immediately. Not a car for everyone, too easy to thrash. I would be surprised if more than half of the original 3000 made are still alive.
When you drive it over bumps I swear you can feel the control arms going up & down following the bumps without losing contact with the road!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
You obviously haven't experienced some of the garbage MB started knocking out in the late 90s! MB as it once was is long, long gone.
When I was growing up just even sitting in a Merc was a big deal.
That emblem meant you were doing something right financially.

38 models later, Mercs no longer stand apart from Audi, Lexus and BMW. Porsche are heading down that same route in a hurry. Once this budget SUV comes along the brand will be just another ubiquitous luxuryn name. I'm not sure I can think of another car company that transformed itself from iconic sports car status to bloated luxury brand.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
I loved my boxsters, loved them...but this 944 turbo is really something. When my kids are older, I will buy another and use as a daily. In Florida, we can get away with that kind of thing year round!
That buzz will wear off. And then you'll be in the 981S Cayman.

I just saw a black one with these gun metal wheels, tinted windows. That car looked subtle and sinister. and it had the PERFECT proportions for a Porsche. It's the driver's car in tin top form. If I had to have Pcar with a fixed roof, that would be my no-brainer.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #36

I have to say Lotus, I have a 2006 Lotus Elise and I must-say it is the best sports car I have ever owned, don't get me wrong, I love my Boxster but to be honest if I had to choose one sports car, it would be the Elise.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs986 View Post
I have to say Lotus, I have a 2006 Lotus Elise and I must-say it is the best sports car I have ever owned, don't get me wrong, I love my Boxster but to be honest if I had to choose one sports car, it would be the Elise.
What no pics? you lie.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #38

Garage
Quote:
I bet if you had to choose 1 car it would be something else!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
if i had to take an suv it would be a very very hard choice for me between the cayanne turbo and the G65.......... who am i kidding G65 all day... my father was a service advisor with mercades for 13 years or so and he would always complain how the g class was one of the most exspensive vehicles but also the one with the worst build quality, they had 3 2013s on the lot with leaking sunroofs.... the worst thing that happened to the g wagon was urbanizing it... the same thing thats ruined many SUVs
If you could spend a day with both it would be no contest.
Driving the G-unit feels like you are going to tip over when turning.
Driving a Cayenne feels like... a Porsche!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #40

Garage
Quote:
how small actually is it? would a 6ft 3 guy with size 14 feet like myself fit into the car and have room at the pedals?