Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
LOTUS = Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Porsche M96 engine =22 design flaws usually fatal.

jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:46 AM   #62

I have a 1998 BMW 323IS that has been bullet proof, aside from a cooling system refurb the car has been almost super reliable
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #63

I would not say the best brand is Porsche. Porsche is a fun car but I would not title it as best overall. Porsche for best performance, I would say YES! Not overall though!

I believe Toyota is the best brand all around with performance (boring compare to P-car), reliability, styling, and interior/exterior features. The thing that stands out with Toyota is their electronic systems from 80s to now and it hasn't change much (except for communication type).

I used to install mobile security (alarm, remote start, etc...) since high school and through out college and I found that Toyota has the most consistent electronic system from 90s to now. The way that Toyota design their electronic features reminds me of Apple products, very minimal and structured.

Not to mention, Toyota is the most innovative company regards to hybrid (elec/gas) and every single company out there is using their technologies (besides the hybrid patent expired in 2012).

Last edited by Trey T; 02-18-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #64

Thumbs up

Ford F-250 diesel truck. 220,000 miles and still running reliably strong !
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #65

^ I think Porsche has the best brand image. But after 10 years of ownership I would not say they are the best at making sports cars. I'm not sure I would give that title to any German car company for that matter. I tell my friends that these are cars are precise, well-thought out, reliable but far from being durable. But for the steep premium one pays to get in and to service and maintain, they are not that much better at many of these than some Japanese sports cars. If you were to remove all the romanticism behind Porsche and looked at it coldly and objectively on feedback and performance you quickly realize that Porsche are successful largely because rich people are successful. And they rarely drive their cars very much before trading the in for the newest thing that the Porsche is offering.
And frankly, American sports cars should be a lot closer to Porsche than they are now. They've got the first car in the C7 that somewhat starts to bridge the gap for a very low cost relative to even a Cayman, but with fully warranty for track use. If GM could make a Cayman-like version of the Stingray, ditto for Ford, things would change quickly. And Both those U.S. brands have a long a history of winning at LeMans like Porsche and are frankly better suited for sprint racing than a rear-engine only racing program like Porsche's.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-18-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #66

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Ford F-250 diesel truck. 220,000 miles and still running reliably strong !
I do think ford gets wrongly grouped with other American cars, they have great reliability from my family's personal experiences.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #67

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
^ I think Porsche has the best brand image. But after 10 years of ownership I would not say they are the best at making sports cars. I'm not sure I would give that title to any German car company for that matter. I tell my friends that these are cars are precise, well-thought out, reliable but far from being durable. But for the steep premium one pays to get in and to service and maintain, they are not that much better at many of these than some Japanese sports cars. If you were to remove all the romanticism behind Porsche and looked at it coldly and objectively on feedback and performance you quickly realize that Porsche are successful largely because rich people are successful. And they rarely drive their cars very much before trading the in for the newest thing that the Porsche is offering.
And frankly, American sports cars should be a lot closer to Porsche than they are now. They've got the first car in the C7 that somewhat starts to bridge the gap for a very low cost relative to even a Cayman, but with fully warranty for track use. If GM could make a Cayman-like version of the Stingray, ditto for Ford, things would change quickly. And Both those U.S. brands have a long a history of winning at LeMans like Porsche and are frankly better suited for sprint racing than a rear-engine only racing program like Porsche's.
I feel the issue with American companies is the buyer and not the companies yes they have won Le Mans but many Americans have no idea what Le Mans is and no matter how good of a track car it is, it wouldn't sell. Those that do know of Le Mans and such would likely rather have a Porsche even if its a bit more money for a bit less car.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote