Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #41

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
If you could spend a day with both it would be no contest.
Driving the G-unit feels like you are going to tip over when turning.
Driving a Cayenne feels like... a Porsche!
Oh i know the cars a VERY diffrent the contest is weather i wan a beast off road or a track SUV, i know a guy with a cayanne GTS and he says it handles as well as his 2000 S that he used to have. But sometimes id rather have the big boxy militant style of the G Wagon and just knowing that i can mow down any off road obstacle.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #42

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
how small actually is it? would a 6ft 3 guy with size 14 feet like myself fit into the car and have room at the pedals?
You will need Jaws of life to find out!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
What no pics? you lie.
Pictures are on my computer at the office I'll post some Monday for you guys.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #44

Quote:
how small actually is it? would a 6ft 3 guy with size 14 feet like myself fit into the car and have room at the pedals?
I'm 6.2"and weigh 206 pounds my shoe size is 12, I am more then comfortable driving the car.

It did take some getting used to,getting in and out of it. there is a very helpful video on YouTube showing how to get in and out of the car easily.

The Elise is a lot smaller than the Boxster and does have a harsher ride than the Boxster as well but does handle and brake better than the Boxster.

The Elise isn't for everyone, if you look down and can't see your belt-buckle you will be uncomfortable in An Elise.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #45

Quote:
I bet if you had to choose 1 car it would be something else!
I said only one sports car, not my only car. I live in Michigan I do not drive the Boxster or the Elise during the winter months.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #46

Quote:
What no pics? you lie.
Here are my baby's

Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #47

Garage
I've never seen a boxster seem so big haha. Nice car, sure she is fun. How is the reliability in the lotus?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #48

Garage
Quote:
I've never seen a boxster seem so big haha. Nice car, sure she is fun. How is the reliability in the lotus?
Similar to a Toyota
Old 02-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #49

My interests in cars ranges from Hot Rods, to Muscle Cars and Supercars but I have to say Porsche is the only brand where I have liked every model they have ever made. There is not a single model I would not be proud to own. For me, the only other brand that comes close to that would be Ferrari.
Taipanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #50

Quote:
Similar to a Toyota
I believe you have just told a fib . . .
Old 02-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #51

Garage
well the car actually has a toyota 4 banger. i just dont know if the reliability transfers with the heart transplant
Old 02-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #52

Quote:
well the car actually has a toyota 4 banger. i just dont know if the reliability transfers with the heart transplant
That should help! I think it's mostly electrical issues with Lotus, isn't it?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #53

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
Dare I say that is a "old wives tale" only applicable to British vehicles made pre '90s:chicken:

The Elise may have the least electrical content of any mass produced car today, so paired with it's Toyota engine & ECU, I would think it's very reliable.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #54
jakesbox

Quote:
That buzz will wear off. And then you'll be in the 981S Cayman.

I just saw a black one with these gun metal wheels, tinted windows. That car looked subtle and sinister. and it had the PERFECT proportions for a Porsche. It's the driver's car in tin top form. If I had to have Pcar with a fixed roof, that would be my no-brainer.
I hope it doesn't wear off! And a Cayman S...absolutely. That would be my go to for a refined sports car! The Porsche turbo (in my case an 89 with all the turbo S upgrades from 88) is just plain cool. And for cheap (in Pcar terms or compared to a boxster maintenance program) you can build these to 400hp with very little work. I just love it...
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #55

Garage
Dream garage for me would be all the best 2 seat open roof Porsches. 550 on one end 918 on the other. Carrera gt and such in between.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
I hope it doesn't wear off! And a Cayman S...absolutely. That would be my go to for a refined sports car! The Porsche turbo (in my case an 89 with all the turbo S upgrades from 88) is just plain cool. And for cheap (in Pcar terms or compared to a boxster maintenance program) you can build these to 400hp with very little work. I just love it...
That's a cool one. Looks well-maintained. I've seen a ton of not so well maintained. In fact there's two things I can always count on seeing at my Indy's shop: Old tires in the back and a 944 in for repairs.

When I was a lot younger I always though the 944 and 928 had modern, forward-looking designs. Whereas the Carrera just seemed too VW to me, especially the round lights. The first time I saw a mettalic blue slant nose in the flesh I thought "that's it!! that's the Carrera that will never be mistaken for a Beetle! I always thought there was a little 944 spirit in it:

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-12-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #57

Quote:
so paired with it's Toyota engine & ECU, I would think it's very reliable.
It is compelling. but that bodywork and its expense to fix make it a two season car if you live where its cold now.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectly View Post
It is compelling. but that bodywork and its expense to fix make it a two season car if you live where its cold now.
Maintenance-upkeep and reliability are far better than my Boxster, somethings are a little more difficult to get to because you do have to remove the front and or rear clam to do maintenance which can be time-consuming.

Yes the fiberglass body is very fragile and can crack easily because the car has no bumpers and the Fiberglass is very thin to save weight.

I am able to drive the car a good six months out of the year but I have two sets of rims and tires,one for street use and the other for the track. The rims for the track are much lighter and I run R-compound tires.

If any of you ever get the opportunity to drive the Lotus Elise I strongly suggest you do so, you will either love it or hate it. The Boxster's handling is excellent that was one of the reasons I got a Boxster in the first place, the Elise is 10x better as far direct feel of driving goes.You can feel every imperfection and nuance in the surface of the road in which are driving,some people find this annoying I personally find it thoroughly enjoyable.

Last edited by jbs986; 02-14-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #59
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Dare I say that is a "old wives tale" only applicable to British vehicles made pre '90s:chicken:

The Elise may have the least electrical content of any mass produced car today, so paired with it's Toyota engine & ECU, I would think it's very reliable.
I had a "warm beer " vehicle, a 1972 TR6. When I bought it, the electrical system was spotty at best. I looked under the dash, and there were jumper wires everywhere! I got a mamual, removed the jumper wires, carefully refurbed all the electrics, and then gave up and re-installed all the jumper wires. Nothing like Lucas. Oh, and the dual Zenith Stromberg Carbs were a treat too.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #60
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
LOTUS = Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote