986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Best brand behind Porsche (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50630)

BIGJake111 02-05-2014 05:13 PM

Best brand behind Porsche

aside from Porsche what brand do you most care for, i like Mercedes and jaguar.

litespeedp 02-05-2014 05:19 PM

27 years driving Alfa Romeo's. Don't know how the new one's will be once they arrive USA.

BIGJake111 02-05-2014 05:25 PM

I love Alfa Romeos and if it wouldn't have been a huge ordeal to maintain I looked at both 914 Porsches and old Alfa spiders before settiling for the modern equivalent of a boxster... As long as they don't drop a dodge engine into an Alfa or anything they ought to be good!

jmatta 02-05-2014 05:45 PM

My two other prevalent daily drivers have been Audi and BMW; but not for pleasure...always Porsche.

Timco 02-05-2014 05:48 PM

My Ford Ranger has 210k and only minor engine sensors. Very reliable. I've beaten the hell out of it.

Our Touareg is a great vehicle. VW is a very solid brand. Well built.

Need to get the MG back on the road!!

pothole 02-05-2014 05:52 PM

I think it really depends on when, as well.

To be frank, I'm not interested in almost anything currently being made. But I have a big soft spot for:

Late 80s to mid 90s Mercedes and BMW.
70s, 80s and early 90s Ferrari.
Late 60s, early 70s Alfa.

And that's about it bar the odd Jag and a few other isolated examples - a few Lambos, etc.

But if I had to pick a single brand, it would still be Porsche. Certain Porsches come closest to my ideal of what a driver's car should be. Late 80s / early 90s Mercedes a close second, but for a different kind of car - the car a pure transport and supremely engineered and fit for purpose.

I like the purity of concept and engineering integrity of certain BMWs, too.

But pretty much all of this is gone now, for me. The current stuff lacks the purity and integrity of old.

lkchris 02-05-2014 06:23 PM

Mercedes is the inventor of the automobile and has led the category since.

recycledsixtie 02-05-2014 06:30 PM

Intriguing thread BiGJake. Being raised in the UK there are several cars that caught my fancy but I trust many I spotted before most of you were borne.

The following I spotted in the 1950's:
Bristol (----?)
Early MG's td, tf etc.
Austin (Supermarine?)
I rode in Austin A30, A35
Sunbeam Talbot
Ford Zephyr, Ford Zodiac
Morris Minor

1960's
Jensen Interceptor - I liked the way it looked and I think it had a big Chrysler engine.
VW bugs.I owned 3
Lotus Super 7. Never had a ride in.
Owned a Triumph TR3 and an MGB
Austin Healy 3000 - test drove a used one but too rusty and too much $$$

I enjoyed looking at or riding in or owning at the time because I was young. I liked all things mechanical but to own any of them now would be a nightmare - rust issues, parts etc.

Happy with the Boxster but would like a newer Cayman with a warranty. Well I can always dream!:)

nieuwhzn 02-05-2014 07:06 PM

Saab....turbo rush!

jdlmodelt 02-05-2014 07:30 PM

Honda, hands down for my family, Own 5 right now and have owned 4 others as well that were given away and sold and still on the road except for one that was T boned. The next oldest I gave to my sister and her husband, a 95, still on the road, gets over 50mpg since he coasts on his way down the hill...

BIGJake111 02-05-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieuwhzn (Post 384881)
Saab....turbo rush!

a viggen! really wish spyker did something nice with saab

RawleyD 02-05-2014 08:17 PM

My Subaru Legacy is my workhorse. the AWD is great, ride is smooth, and a piece of cake to maintain.
You can go ANYWHERE in under 7" of snow.
Looking to get another soon, mine was bought new in 2002 and now has 160k miles.

coreseller 02-06-2014 02:28 AM

I'm boring.....Company vehicles / trucks for myself; Chevrolet, comfy (they are all LTZ's), dependable and get the job done.

Purchasing vehicles for wife / kids; Honda for the same reasons as above, tack on bulletproof reliability and decent resale value.

Currently modding a clean low mile Miata for me and kids to thrash at local SCCA events, trying to keep it civil enough for the wifey to occasionally enjoy driving with the top down.

schnellman 02-06-2014 04:01 AM

Subaru. Currently we have three in the family and have owned a total of seven. Not only have they saved us a lot of problems on winter highways, but they run forever. I must admit that part of our attraction is the local dealer. Not a sexy brand, but a real workhorse.

Mark_T 02-06-2014 05:18 AM

If I get tired of my Boxster I think I would really like a 308 or 328 (or even a Mera!)

Timco - we seem to have similar taste in vehicles. My other car is a Mazda B4000, which is a re-badged Ranger, and I've been looking at Touregs lately. (You can keep the MG and its Lucas electrics though)

recycledsixtie 02-06-2014 05:39 AM

On rereading the question(history of my auto experience above is redundant!) I will try this again. Second choice has to have some excitement. So I would go with either a BMW or Audi sedan/coupe. It might have to have 4 wd for the snow and if I pass on then auto transmission for the wife heaven forbid! And it would have to have some warranty left on it.

G.

BYprodriver 02-06-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdlmodelt (Post 384884)
Honda, hands down for my family, Own 5 right now and have owned 4 others as well that were given away and sold and still on the road except for one that was T boned. The next oldest I gave to my sister and her husband, a 95, still on the road, gets over 50mpg since he coasts on his way down the hill...

Honda was always my recomendation for quality vehicles at a good price. I'm not sure that is still true. Do you have experience with 2007 & newer?

BYprodriver 02-06-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 384919)
If I get tired of my Boxster I think I would really like a 308 or 328 (or even a Mera!)

Timco - we seem to have similar taste in vehicles. My other car is a Mazda B4000, which is a re-badged Ranger, and I've been looking at Touregs lately. (You can keep the MG and its Lucas electrics though)

In 1986 I rented a 308 GTI for a day, I was not impressed in the least although it was an enjoyable PPI.

BYprodriver 02-06-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGJake111 (Post 384892)
a viggen! really wish spyker did something nice with saab

2002 viggen I drove has the quickest throttle response of any vehicle I've tested. Also most intriguing suspension. Good thread topic Jake!

Perfectlap 02-06-2014 08:50 AM

Lamborghini. There is nothing in the world like a V12. Everything else to me is just a car.
Everyone that rolls off the line is a work of art made by the hands of a true artisan.
If I had the means I would drive an Aventador everywhere, each and every day.
No stick shift but at least its not DCT, it's the real deal.