Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

Two and a Half Men

I was watching an old show tonight and Alan somehow bought a Boxster. I had to listen to them crack jokes for the entire show about how it's a girls car.

Charlie "You bought the girls version of a Porsche."

Cab driver "My sister drives one."

Charlie's mother "You Aunt Silvia has one."

There was a police chase on the news at the end when someone stole the car and the reporter kept referring to the driver as "she".

Female reporter "We can't see inside, how do you know that it's a female driver?"

Male reporter "We are just assuming that it's a girl based on the type of car."

It was the only joke they could come up with for the only show.

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #2

wait a minute... they did two shows about the Boxster? The one I recall featured a blue Boxster, I think it was 987.

Some writer for that show must have had a woodie for the water-cooled Carreras apparently (typical LA status driver derp).
Only a pseudo car guy/poser would come up with that premise for a comedy. The average person on main street doesn't know that 996 Cab and 986 are two different cars. Hollywood is not Main Street of course...

P.S.
that's a 2000 S. Probably faster and better handling than 90+% of all Porsches made before that year. Which is why I bought one!
It looks like they slapped on standard 16" wheels from an older Boxster to make it look less appealing, along with the bra.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-03-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Some writer for that show must have had a woodie for the water-cooled Carreras apparently (typical LA status driver derp).
Only a pseudo car guy/poser would come up with that premise for a comedy. The average person on main street doesn't know that 996 Cab and 986 are two different cars. Hollywood is not Main Street of course...

P.S.
that's a 2000 S. Probably faster and better handling than 90+% of all Porsches made before that year. Which is why I bought one!
It looks like they slapped on standard 16" wheels from an older Boxster to make it look less appealing, along with the bra.
Or maybe it was just a joke? I think having a "bra" also lends itself to being used in a "girl" joke (not that I fashion myself as a screen writer, but there is a clear connection).

Not all shows are consistently funny, just look at the first season of Seinfeld when it was on Wednesdays. I don't normally watch the Men show, but a quick search states that the episode was from 2005, and yet it is still being broadcast. Guess enough people think it is.

Personally, I really don't think too deeply about "enthusiast" versus "non", nor do I really value one's opinion over the other versus what makes me happy/satisfied. I think too much time is spent worrying about what other people might think. And if you are into that, I highly recommend going to the styleforum.net site and posting something positive about any brand of shoe other than Allen Edmonds. You'll be sure to find several enthusiasts o'er there to talk about that kind of stuff with the same lack of levity and authoritarian opinions as to what is right and what everyone is thinking, where they are mistaken, and what they should do instead (buying used AEs on eBay seems to top the list of alternatives for not buying AEs new, for those scoring at home).

Last edited by cfos; 01-03-2014 at 04:29 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #4

Garage
Charlie Sheen isn't a wacko though.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #5

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #6

Garage
Driving my boxster to what can be a hillbilly hell hole highschool in rural South Carolina I exspected to have tons of "girl car" comments.. Rather the people that have anything negative to say simply call it a stupid rich city boy douchebag car despite most their trucks costing upwards of triple my boxster.. The girls do like the car but hey whats to complain with that.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
Or maybe it was just a joke?
Bingo....We have a Winner!!!!

It can be both amusing and embarrassing to witness some peoples' obsession of what others think.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #8

I've sorted this 'girl car' thing by adding four nasty looking concave 5 spoke black wheels and a set of aftermarket rocker panels to the Boxster.

The wife refuses to drive it ever since I've done those mods Plan worked flawlessly!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #9

Garage
Dammit! I sold my TT because it was a girls car, now I have to sell my Boxster? :P
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #10

There are a "lot" of cars here designated for women only, but I rarely heard of any "real men" car yet. No muscle car culture... sedans rules here!

Funny but true fact; (married) Chinese men are NOT allowed to own a sport car here in China. Okay by law however both families could disgrace him for being associated to the playboy type.

In the men Porsche category, only Cayenne sadly. Very rarely you will see a guy driving a Boxster 1-on-25 maybe, only women (and me!) drives Boxsters, Crocs or 911s here
Old 01-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
only women (and me!) drives Boxsters, Crocs or 911s here
I'm moving to china haha.. I'd take a 7 over a 10 if she was in a (non SUV) porsche.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I'm moving to china haha.. I'd take a 7 over a 10 if she was in a (non SUV) porsche.
No luck, they are pretty much all taken already. It is fashion to equip your mistress with a Porsche car... especially when you are a rich busy man and the owner of a Porsche Cayenne already

PS. No 7 here mate, all #10. it's Shanghai, not Beijing!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #13

Quote:
There are a "lot" of cars here designated for women only, but I rarely heard of any "real men" car yet. No muscle car culture... sedans rules here!

Funny but true fact; (married) Chinese men are NOT allowed to own a sport car here in China. Okay by law however both families could disgrace him for being associated to the playboy type.

In the men Porsche category, only Cayenne sadly. Very rarely you will see a guy driving a Boxster 1-on-25 maybe, only women (and me!) drives Boxsters, Crocs or 911s here
Now THAT is ironic. The average Boxster owner here in the U.S. is a middle-aged to senior citizen male. One whose playboying days are well behind him. Younger drivers in their 20's really don't have the discretionary income to purchase or maintain an impractical car like the Boxster. Once they move up the income ladder in their 30's and early 40's and are starting families the Boxster's lack of a back seat make buying a Carrera the more acceptable option for the wife as you can at least fit a couple of kids in the back. So at the end of the day most Porsches are owned by pretty traditional family men. And by and large the average American woman avoids a manual transmission car and opts for an automatic transmission SUV, a Range Rover being her dream car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

I thought it was more about the passenger...

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
...and are starting families the Boxster's lack of a back seat make buying a Carrera the more acceptable option for the wife as you can at least fit a couple of kids in the back.
Uh... have you ever tried it? "Fit" is relative in the 911 and you are limited in car seat options. And before anyone questions this, I'm speaking as someone who did for 3+ years; it ain't easy. To begin, if you opt for the Britax, you generally have to remove the base. Also, many opt to remove the seat backs for the extra space. Then, as you kids move up to the forward-facing [I had not found a rear-facing seat that could fit in the back (though I had the 997.2)], you still have to dig out the chair locks from the rear, because until the 991, there were not clasps in the back seats -- best innovation, IMO, with the 991 was exposing the seat locks...

Now, if 2 kids are involved, you can put both in the passenger side of the car, leaving it nearly impossible for 2 adults to fit in the car -- assuming one kid is in a rear facing. Once one of the kids begins to grow (and if you are putting the rear-facing in the passenger side), you need to move the bigger child behind the driver. Now, I'm not a tall person at 5'9", but you do need to really push the seat forward to fit the kid in the back (convenient only if you have the programmable option), and it was uncomfortable.

However, once both kids are in rear-facing seats, it is possible to have 2 adults in the car... but it is cramped even if both people are on the shorter side and kids like to kick. Also, it really only leaves the frunk as the only place to put things, so it's not like you'd take the car out for a family trip anywhere (Edit: We did once drive, with one child, to NV from UT and it was only accomplished by driving during the child's sleeping cycle as it was a 5-6 hr drive).

So, let's all put the above aside, as it is still a "choice" and I made the choice to have a 911 when we had our second kid. Having said that, it isn't easy getting the kids in-n-out, and buckled. Even once in, it isn't easy to do the buckling. I know -- for sure -- my Wife NEVER put the kid in the back, and only maybe checked if the buckles were secure a few times. For those that haven't tried this, handling a 20+ lbs child that is moving isn't as easy as it sounds, especially when they don't "want" to be in the car seat (which is usually most of the time when they are young and awake). Now imagine it when it is raining or snowing...

In summary, while I don't dispute that there are enthusiast Wives out there that opt for the 911 with 2 kids, the way you frame your statement above implies that the husband is doing the car purchasing for the wife (meaning to me, that the Wife likely isn't an enthusiast) and, as such, likely WILL NOT go through the trouble of driving a 911 as the primary, secondary, or even tertiary car. Likewise, I seriously doubt any husband would put up with all the complaining about the inconvenience. I mean, how are the 911 soccer moms going to fit all the kids gear in a 911 with one or two kids?

As a background note, I did get my first boxster on my first wedding anniversary prior to having kids (pre-starting a family) and drove it through the first kid before getting the 911 with the 2nd kid. So, to quote Ringo, "I'm warning you with Peace and Love..." don't do it.

P.S. Does the Average American Woman actually dream of cars? Personally, my Wife doesn't talk about them and is happy with the Mini brand. She doesn't much care to drive the X3 as it is "too big" so, I'm pretty confident that she doesn't want the RR. Guess I got an outlier.

Last edited by cfos; 01-04-2014 at 12:09 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #16
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post

why is there an AK47 in this Porsche? You'd expect at least and AR15...
Old 01-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #17
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Driving my Boxster to what can be a hillbilly hell hole high school in rural South Carolina I expected to have tons of "girl car" comments.. Rather the people that have anything negative to say simply call it a stupid rich city boy douchebag car despite most their trucks costing upwards of triple my Boxster.
Hey, if you want to fit in with the redneck monster truck crowd, just strap on a set of these on your exhaust pipe:"

If you decide to do this, let us know how it all turns out.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #18
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
I've sorted this 'girl car' thing by adding four nasty looking concave 5 spoke black wheels and a set of aftermarket rocker panels to the Boxster.
No way could your 986 be viewed as a "girl car" mate. It's one of the nicest looking Boxsters I've even seen (if not THE best), and it absolutely exudes testosterone.

And every married Chinese male must be envious as all hell when they see your car.

TO
Attached Images

Last edited by TeamOxford; 01-04-2014 at 02:34 PM.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
No way could your 986 be viewed as a "girl car" mate. It's one of the nicest looking Boxsters I've even seen (if not THE best), and it absolutely exudes testosterone.

And every married Chinese male must be envious as all hell when they see your car.

TO
Agreed. Nine8Six's Box and Johnny Danger's Box (Gotta give the nod to JD's) are the two best looking Boxsters on this board IMHO........
Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post

Your boy just died over the Holidays.............

Mikhail Kalashnikov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm a fan of the AR's also but if thrown in the bush and the muck, I'd prefer to have an AK.