View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #15
cfos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
...and are starting families the Boxster's lack of a back seat make buying a Carrera the more acceptable option for the wife as you can at least fit a couple of kids in the back.
Uh... have you ever tried it? "Fit" is relative in the 911 and you are limited in car seat options. And before anyone questions this, I'm speaking as someone who did for 3+ years; it ain't easy. To begin, if you opt for the Britax, you generally have to remove the base. Also, many opt to remove the seat backs for the extra space. Then, as you kids move up to the forward-facing [I had not found a rear-facing seat that could fit in the back (though I had the 997.2)], you still have to dig out the chair locks from the rear, because until the 991, there were not clasps in the back seats -- best innovation, IMO, with the 991 was exposing the seat locks...

Now, if 2 kids are involved, you can put both in the passenger side of the car, leaving it nearly impossible for 2 adults to fit in the car -- assuming one kid is in a rear facing. Once one of the kids begins to grow (and if you are putting the rear-facing in the passenger side), you need to move the bigger child behind the driver. Now, I'm not a tall person at 5'9", but you do need to really push the seat forward to fit the kid in the back (convenient only if you have the programmable option), and it was uncomfortable.

However, once both kids are in rear-facing seats, it is possible to have 2 adults in the car... but it is cramped even if both people are on the shorter side and kids like to kick. Also, it really only leaves the frunk as the only place to put things, so it's not like you'd take the car out for a family trip anywhere (Edit: We did once drive, with one child, to NV from UT and it was only accomplished by driving during the child's sleeping cycle as it was a 5-6 hr drive).

So, let's all put the above aside, as it is still a "choice" and I made the choice to have a 911 when we had our second kid. Having said that, it isn't easy getting the kids in-n-out, and buckled. Even once in, it isn't easy to do the buckling. I know -- for sure -- my Wife NEVER put the kid in the back, and only maybe checked if the buckles were secure a few times. For those that haven't tried this, handling a 20+ lbs child that is moving isn't as easy as it sounds, especially when they don't "want" to be in the car seat (which is usually most of the time when they are young and awake). Now imagine it when it is raining or snowing...

In summary, while I don't dispute that there are enthusiast Wives out there that opt for the 911 with 2 kids, the way you frame your statement above implies that the husband is doing the car purchasing for the wife (meaning to me, that the Wife likely isn't an enthusiast) and, as such, likely WILL NOT go through the trouble of driving a 911 as the primary, secondary, or even tertiary car. Likewise, I seriously doubt any husband would put up with all the complaining about the inconvenience. I mean, how are the 911 soccer moms going to fit all the kids gear in a 911 with one or two kids?

As a background note, I did get my first boxster on my first wedding anniversary prior to having kids (pre-starting a family) and drove it through the first kid before getting the 911 with the 2nd kid. So, to quote Ringo, "I'm warning you with Peace and Love..." don't do it.

P.S. Does the Average American Woman actually dream of cars? Personally, my Wife doesn't talk about them and is happy with the Mini brand. She doesn't much care to drive the X3 as it is "too big" so, I'm pretty confident that she doesn't want the RR. Guess I got an outlier.

Last edited by cfos; 01-04-2014 at 12:09 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote