986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Two and a Half Men (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50147)

heliguy 01-03-2014 02:41 PM

Two and a Half Men

I was watching an old show tonight and Alan somehow bought a Boxster. I had to listen to them crack jokes for the entire show about how it's a girls car.

Charlie "You bought the girls version of a Porsche."

Cab driver "My sister drives one."

Charlie's mother "You Aunt Silvia has one."

There was a police chase on the news at the end when someone stole the car and the reporter kept referring to the driver as "she".

Female reporter "We can't see inside, how do you know that it's a female driver?"

Male reporter "We are just assuming that it's a girl based on the type of car."

It was the only joke they could come up with for the only show.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1388792330.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1388792388.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1388792447.jpg

Perfectlap 01-03-2014 02:52 PM

wait a minute... they did two shows about the Boxster? The one I recall featured a blue Boxster, I think it was 987.

Some writer for that show must have had a woodie for the water-cooled Carreras apparently (typical LA status driver derp).
Only a pseudo car guy/poser would come up with that premise for a comedy. The average person on main street doesn't know that 996 Cab and 986 are two different cars. Hollywood is not Main Street of course...

P.S.
that's a 2000 S. Probably faster and better handling than 90+% of all Porsches made before that year. Which is why I bought one!
It looks like they slapped on standard 16" wheels from an older Boxster to make it look less appealing, along with the bra.
http://www.imcdb.org/i147317.jpg

cfos 01-03-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 379457)
Some writer for that show must have had a woodie for the water-cooled Carreras apparently (typical LA status driver derp).
Only a pseudo car guy/poser would come up with that premise for a comedy. The average person on main street doesn't know that 996 Cab and 986 are two different cars. Hollywood is not Main Street of course...

P.S.
that's a 2000 S. Probably faster and better handling than 90+% of all Porsches made before that year. Which is why I bought one!
It looks like they slapped on standard 16" wheels from an older Boxster to make it look less appealing, along with the bra.
http://www.imcdb.org/i147317.jpg

Or maybe it was just a joke? I think having a "bra" also lends itself to being used in a "girl" joke (not that I fashion myself as a screen writer, but there is a clear connection).

Not all shows are consistently funny, just look at the first season of Seinfeld when it was on Wednesdays. I don't normally watch the Men show, but a quick search states that the episode was from 2005, and yet it is still being broadcast. :confused: Guess enough people think it is.

Personally, I really don't think too deeply about "enthusiast" versus "non", nor do I really value one's opinion over the other versus what makes me happy/satisfied. I think too much time is spent worrying about what other people might think. And if you are into that, I highly recommend going to the styleforum.net site and posting something positive about any brand of shoe other than Allen Edmonds. You'll be sure to find several enthusiasts o'er there to talk about that kind of stuff with the same lack of levity and authoritarian opinions as to what is right and what everyone is thinking, where they are mistaken, and what they should do instead (buying used AEs on eBay seems to top the list of alternatives for not buying AEs new, for those scoring at home).

Johnny Danger 01-03-2014 05:07 PM

Charlie Sheen isn't a wacko though. :rolleyes:

coreseller 01-03-2014 05:36 PM

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...psb657eaad.jpg

BIGJake111 01-03-2014 08:44 PM

Driving my boxster to what can be a hillbilly hell hole highschool in rural South Carolina I exspected to have tons of "girl car" comments.. Rather the people that have anything negative to say simply call it a stupid rich city boy douchebag car despite most their trucks costing upwards of triple my boxster.. The girls do like the car but hey whats to complain with that.

coreseller 01-04-2014 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfos (Post 379470)
Or maybe it was just a joke?

Bingo....We have a Winner!!!!

It can be both amusing and embarrassing to witness some peoples' obsession of what others think.

Nine8Six 01-04-2014 06:35 AM

I've sorted this 'girl car' thing by adding four nasty looking concave 5 spoke black wheels and a set of aftermarket rocker panels to the Boxster.

The wife refuses to drive it ever since I've done those mods ;) Plan worked flawlessly!

2003S 01-04-2014 07:14 AM

Dammit! I sold my TT because it was a girls car, now I have to sell my Boxster? :P

Nine8Six 01-04-2014 07:52 AM

There are a "lot" of cars here designated for women only, but I rarely heard of any "real men" car yet. No muscle car culture... sedans rules here!

Funny but true fact; (married) Chinese men are NOT allowed to own a sport car here in China. Okay by law however both families could disgrace him for being associated to the playboy type.

In the men Porsche category, only Cayenne sadly. Very rarely you will see a guy driving a Boxster 1-on-25 maybe, only women (and me!) drives Boxsters, Crocs or 911s here

BIGJake111 01-04-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 379519)
only women (and me!) drives Boxsters, Crocs or 911s here

I'm moving to china haha.. I'd take a 7 over a 10 if she was in a (non SUV) porsche.

Nine8Six 01-04-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGJake111 (Post 379539)
I'm moving to china haha.. I'd take a 7 over a 10 if she was in a (non SUV) porsche.

No luck, they are pretty much all taken already. It is fashion to equip your mistress with a Porsche car... especially when you are a rich busy man and the owner of a Porsche Cayenne already ;)

PS. No 7 here mate, all #10. it's Shanghai, not Beijing!

Perfectlap 01-04-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 379519)
There are a "lot" of cars here designated for women only, but I rarely heard of any "real men" car yet. No muscle car culture... sedans rules here!

Funny but true fact; (married) Chinese men are NOT allowed to own a sport car here in China. Okay by law however both families could disgrace him for being associated to the playboy type.

In the men Porsche category, only Cayenne sadly. Very rarely you will see a guy driving a Boxster 1-on-25 maybe, only women (and me!) drives Boxsters, Crocs or 911s here

Now THAT is ironic. The average Boxster owner here in the U.S. is a middle-aged to senior citizen male. One whose playboying days are well behind him. Younger drivers in their 20's really don't have the discretionary income to purchase or maintain an impractical car like the Boxster. Once they move up the income ladder in their 30's and early 40's and are starting families the Boxster's lack of a back seat make buying a Carrera the more acceptable option for the wife as you can at least fit a couple of kids in the back. So at the end of the day most Porsches are owned by pretty traditional family men. And by and large the average American woman avoids a manual transmission car and opts for an automatic transmission SUV, a Range Rover being her dream car.

Timco 01-04-2014 10:57 AM

I thought it was more about the passenger...

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6sew8tn4.jpg

cfos 01-04-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 379549)
...and are starting families the Boxster's lack of a back seat make buying a Carrera the more acceptable option for the wife as you can at least fit a couple of kids in the back.

Uh... have you ever tried it? "Fit" is relative in the 911 and you are limited in car seat options. And before anyone questions this, I'm speaking as someone who did for 3+ years; it ain't easy. To begin, if you opt for the Britax, you generally have to remove the base. Also, many opt to remove the seat backs for the extra space. Then, as you kids move up to the forward-facing [I had not found a rear-facing seat that could fit in the back (though I had the 997.2)], you still have to dig out the chair locks from the rear, because until the 991, there were not clasps in the back seats -- best innovation, IMO, with the 991 was exposing the seat locks...

Now, if 2 kids are involved, you can put both in the passenger side of the car, leaving it nearly impossible for 2 adults to fit in the car -- assuming one kid is in a rear facing. Once one of the kids begins to grow (and if you are putting the rear-facing in the passenger side), you need to move the bigger child behind the driver. Now, I'm not a tall person at 5'9", but you do need to really push the seat forward to fit the kid in the back (convenient only if you have the programmable option), and it was uncomfortable.

However, once both kids are in rear-facing seats, it is possible to have 2 adults in the car... but it is cramped even if both people are on the shorter side and kids like to kick. Also, it really only leaves the frunk as the only place to put things, so it's not like you'd take the car out for a family trip anywhere (Edit: We did once drive, with one child, to NV from UT and it was only accomplished by driving during the child's sleeping cycle as it was a 5-6 hr drive).

So, let's all put the above aside, as it is still a "choice" and I made the choice to have a 911 when we had our second kid. Having said that, it isn't easy getting the kids in-n-out, and buckled. Even once in, it isn't easy to do the buckling. I know -- for sure -- my Wife NEVER put the kid in the back, and only maybe checked if the buckles were secure a few times. For those that haven't tried this, handling a 20+ lbs child that is moving isn't as easy as it sounds, especially when they don't "want" to be in the car seat (which is usually most of the time when they are young and awake). Now imagine it when it is raining or snowing...

In summary, while I don't dispute that there are enthusiast Wives out there that opt for the 911 with 2 kids, the way you frame your statement above implies that the husband is doing the car purchasing for the wife (meaning to me, that the Wife likely isn't an enthusiast) and, as such, likely WILL NOT go through the trouble of driving a 911 as the primary, secondary, or even tertiary car. Likewise, I seriously doubt any husband would put up with all the complaining about the inconvenience. I mean, how are the 911 soccer moms going to fit all the kids gear in a 911 with one or two kids?

As a background note, I did get my first boxster on my first wedding anniversary prior to having kids (pre-starting a family) and drove it through the first kid before getting the 911 with the 2nd kid. So, to quote Ringo, "I'm warning you with Peace and Love..." don't do it. ;)

P.S. Does the Average American Woman actually dream of cars? Personally, my Wife doesn't talk about them and is happy with the Mini brand. She doesn't much care to drive the X3 as it is "too big" so, I'm pretty confident that she doesn't want the RR. Guess I got an outlier. :)

Jamesp 01-04-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 379554)

why is there an AK47 in this Porsche? You'd expect at least and AR15...

TeamOxford 01-04-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGJake111 (Post 379495)
Driving my Boxster to what can be a hillbilly hell hole high school in rural South Carolina I expected to have tons of "girl car" comments.. Rather the people that have anything negative to say simply call it a stupid rich city boy douchebag car despite most their trucks costing upwards of triple my Boxster.

Hey, if you want to fit in with the redneck monster truck crowd, just strap on a set of these on your exhaust pipe:"

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01/Nuts1388876766.jpg

If you decide to do this, let us know how it all turns out. :D

TO

TeamOxford 01-04-2014 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 379512)
I've sorted this 'girl car' thing by adding four nasty looking concave 5 spoke black wheels and a set of aftermarket rocker panels to the Boxster.

No way could your 986 be viewed as a "girl car" mate. It's one of the nicest looking Boxsters I've even seen (if not THE best), and it absolutely exudes testosterone.

And every married Chinese male must be envious as all hell when they see your car.

TO

coreseller 01-04-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamOxford (Post 379575)
No way could your 986 be viewed as a "girl car" mate. It's one of the nicest looking Boxsters I've even seen (if not THE best), and it absolutely exudes testosterone.

And every married Chinese male must be envious as all hell when they see your car.

TO

Agreed. Nine8Six's Box and Johnny Danger's Box (Gotta give the nod to JD's) are the two best looking Boxsters on this board IMHO........:cheers:

coreseller 01-04-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 379554)

Your boy just died over the Holidays.............

Mikhail Kalashnikov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm a fan of the AR's also but if thrown in the bush and the muck, I'd prefer to have an AK.