Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Head View Post
My opinion......That is ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!
May be so, but the law works differently. "One cannot benefit from the misfortune of someone else." This I learned back when I was a poor college student. I had a car with pretty oxidized paint all over. Someone backed into my front fender. Being very obvious that just painting that fender would leave the car looking pretty funny, I tried to argue for a complete paint job. The legal response was that the oxidized paint on the rest of my car was really my responsibility. Paint is a wear item and I had simply worn out the paint on my car.
The same is true bout the sheen on the passenger side headlight. The OP can certainly try, but there is no legal basis for anyone other that the owner being responsible for it. However, ask nicely and someone might be able to get you what you want as a "customer satisfaction" gesture.

seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I have been seeing Bosch and Hella Litronics on Amazon for ~$750 a light, without corner pieces.

Here is the Bosch:
Amazon.com: Bosch 302473374 Headlight Assembly: Automotive

Here is the Hella:
HELLA 010054041 Porsche 911/Boxster Passenger Side Headlight Assembly : Amazon.com : Automotive

These seem like a pretty good deal compared to what they seem to run new from other places.

Is there a catch to these somewhere? I was looking to buy these but I found a pair of OEM Litronics for $999 so I got those instead, including corner pieces.

Steve
Thanks for the links! I'm on mobile. Are these litronic Xeon? If so it looks like the ins company will buy a set. Any thoughts on what aftermarket Litronic Xeon you would want? Thanks !!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #23

I looked up the part number of the Bosch litronic and it matched with the same $$$$ ones that you get from the Porsche dealerships. (Of course I can't find it now).

The amazon description gives you almost no details but it does contain the following part numbers:

Brand Bosch
Item model number 302473374
Manufacturer Part Number 302473374
ABPA Partslink Number 0302473374

And it does say "Right -Bosch - HID"

And there is a separate entry for the clear Bosch halogen headlamp assemblies.

If I find the link that shows these headlights at the more expensive price mapping to the same part number on the Amazon page I'll share it here.

Steve

Edit: if it was me I would buy the Bosch because that is the OEM manufacturer, and especially since you are getting only one you would want it to match the other one
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I looked up the part number of the Bosch litronic and it matched with the same $$$$ ones that you get from the Porsche dealerships. (Of course I can't find it now).

The amazon description gives you almost no details but it does contain the following part numbers:

Brand Bosch
Item model number 302473374
Manufacturer Part Number 302473374
ABPA Partslink Number 0302473374

And it does say "Right -Bosch - HID"

And there is a separate entry for the clear Bosch halogen headlamp assemblies.

If I find the link that shows these headlights at the more expensive price mapping to the same part number on the Amazon page I'll share it here.

Steve

Edit: if it was me I would buy the Bosch because that is the OEM manufacturer, and especially since you are getting only one you would want it to match the other one
Agreed, as long as they are Litronic Xeon. If they have both features in a clear lense, I'll take those!! I just want matching but not less than I had.

Thanks for any help!!!!!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #25

Litronic Xenon is just a name that Porsche give to the headlight system consist of projector, HID bulb, and Hella Ballast. Hella is more legit name for those headlight than bosch. Hella is a highly reputable company in Euro that makes projector and ballast for VW, Benz, and BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Thanks for the links! I'm on mobile. Are these litronic Xeon? If so it looks like the ins company will buy a set. Any thoughts on what aftermarket Litronic Xeon you would want? Thanks !!
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #26

Send Larry Kosilla an email. He's on the Drive YouTube channel doing miracles with Porsches.

AMMO NYC | DRIVE + PROTECT

buying a new light would not be my first option. What I would do is try to get a new headlight first from the insurance, attempt to rehap the light in the interim, buy something new as last resort.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #27

Make sure you get a buffer and polish it.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #28
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Send Larry Kosilla an email. He's on the Drive YouTube channel doing miracles with Porsches.

AMMO NYC | DRIVE + PROTECT

buying a new light would not be my first option. What I would do is try to get a new headlight first from the insurance, attempt to rehap the light in the interim, buy something new as last resort.
They just asked if I can find any pair of aftermarkets. If I can find a set that has the HID (Xeon) and Litronics (moving) and the little marker light, I'll take any aftermarket set and they can have / sell their $2800 unit. If no aftermarket with the exact same features, they did not rule out a new passenger unit but I want to be reasonable.

Thanks guys!

Tim
Old 09-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
They just asked if I can find any pair of aftermarkets. If I can find a set that has the HID (Xeon) and Litronics (moving) and the little marker light, I'll take any aftermarket set and they can have / sell their $2800 unit. If no aftermarket with the exact same features, they did not rule out a new passenger unit but I want to be reasonable.

Thanks guys!

Tim
Tim,

Litronics is simply a name that Porsche chose to call it's HID/Xenon system. Any Litronics set in excellent condition will suffice. The only difference is, vehicles that came equipped from the factory with Litronics have an additional leveling feature apart from the headlight modules themselves. That being said, Litronics are Litronics.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #30
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Tim,

Litronics is simply a name that Porsche chose to call it's HID/Xenon system. Any Litronics set in excellent condition will suffice. The only difference is, vehicles that came equipped from the factory with Litronics have an additional leveling feature apart from the headlight modules themselves. That being said, Litronics are Litronics.
So, to get real Litronic movement based on the positioning arms, they must be the Porsche light? The others just self-level?

Any thoughts on what the real difference would be? I want to be reasonable.

Tim
Old 09-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Tim,

p.s. The factory equipped leveling system is not to be confused with the control module that comes with the after sale Litronics set that Porsche offers. That device simply rotates the low beams upward to assist the high beams.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
So, to get real Litronic movement based on the positioning arms, they must be the Porsche light? The others just self-level?

Any thoughts on what the real difference would be? I want to be reasonable.

Tim
If your vehicle came equipped from the factory with Litronics, then I would presume that it has the additional leveling feature that could only be installed at the factory at the time of manufacture.
Otherwise, your vehicle has an over the counter set of Litronics that were installed by the previous owner. As I mentioned, those kits came with a control module that was designed to rotate the low beams a certain degree in order to help fill in the high beams when activated. Since the net effect of this module is marginal to a lot of owners, many didn't even bother installing it. Again, the leveling system is independent of the Litronics themselves, and it had to be installed by Porsche at the time of manufacture. A set of Litroncs - is a set of Litronics.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 09-20-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #33
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
If your vehicle came equipped from the factory with Litronics, then I would presume that it has the additional leveling feature that could only be installed at the factory at the time of manufacture.
Otherwise, your vehicle has an over the counter Litronics set that was installed by the previous owner. As I mentioned, those kits came with a control module that was designed to rotate the low beams a certain degree in order to help fill in the high beams when activated. Since the net effect of this module is marginal to a lot of owners, many didn't even bother installing it.
Yeah, I've got factory Litronics. Seems like the Porsche light is the only light that will work with that feature.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I've got factory Litronics. Seems like the Porsche light is the only light that will work with that feature.
Meaning they were installed by Porsche at the time of manufacture ? Simple put, did your vehicle come from the factory equipped with Litroncs ?
Old 09-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #35
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Meaning they were installed by Porsche at the time of manufacture ? Simple put, did your vehicle come from the factory equipped with Litroncs ?
Yes. Control module and positioning arms on the suspension. It lists them on the window sticker sold with the car.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #36
I am my own mechanic....

Genuine Porsche 911 996 Boxster 986 Headlight Set Left Right Litronic Xenon New | eBay

I asked for these. Less than one!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Yes. Control module and positioning arms on the suspension. It lists them on the window sticker sold with the car.
Great. Your vehicle has the factory installed leveling system. But, you can installed any set of Porsche Litronics, because that system is independent of the headlight modules themselves. So all you need to do is either purchase a set from a dealership (or in your case just one), or find a used set (or whatever side you're looking for) in excellent condition. Make sense now ?
Old 09-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Yes, if they're wiling to break up a set. Or you can look for a used set for much less in excellent condition, and then sell off the new one you just installed. It all comes to money I guess.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #39
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Yes, if they're wiling to break up a set. Or you can look for a used set for much less in excellent condition, and then sell off the new one you just installed. It all comes to money I guess.
This all helps a lot. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure they will take their singe light back and buy the set. I'll know Monday but I'll be looking for a set online besides eBay. Since the car has factory Lit's, I'll find a Porsche set. First Bosch set I saw had huge stickers that said NOT DOT APPROVED!!

Thanks again. Live Dangerously!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #40

To me this would like getting part of the car repainted and the color did not match the rest of the car.

It would decrease the value of the car and look stupid, they would have to repaint the entire car.

I would not accept that and get them to make it right or sue them for the price of another replacement light in small claims court.

After they get their invitation to court I'd make a deal and take $2, 000 and buy your own light.

Thats rediculous to think that what they have done is ok.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote