986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Would this fix be acceptable to you? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48481)

Timco 09-20-2013 04:35 AM

Would this fix be acceptable to you?

Update, need light replacement advise. They will buy a set or single but want to see any aftermarket? Needs to be the Litronic Xeon.

I got my car back, finally. A month later.

New headlight driver's side, old light passenger. The passenger side used to actually look better than the driver's!

I have sent an email stating I will be needing both replace, because both matched before she backed into me. They did the pro sand & refinish thing, but no way. New is $2800 I was told.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1379680532.jpg
http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps63da254e.jpg

KRAM36 09-20-2013 04:40 AM

That light looks good to me. What's the problem?

Timco 09-20-2013 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRAM36 (Post 364064)
That light looks good to me. What's the problem?

Sorry. Could not add an attachment. Had to save another way.Puts out two different colors of light at night, and looks really stupid.

KRAM36 09-20-2013 04:46 AM

I see now. Yeah I would see if they would fix this.

steved0x 09-20-2013 05:19 AM

I have been seeing Bosch and Hella Litronics on Amazon for ~$750 a light, without corner pieces.

Here is the Bosch:
Amazon.com: Bosch 302473374 Headlight Assembly: Automotive

Here is the Hella:
HELLA 010054041 Porsche 911/Boxster Passenger Side Headlight Assembly : Amazon.com : Automotive

These seem like a pretty good deal compared to what they seem to run new from other places.

Is there a catch to these somewhere? I was looking to buy these but I found a pair of OEM Litronics for $999 so I got those instead, including corner pieces.

Steve

PorscheBound 09-20-2013 05:46 AM

So are you wanting the other light replaced simply because one is more clear than the other?

haz 09-20-2013 05:53 AM

Don't forget it looks stupid at night.

2003S 09-20-2013 05:53 AM

I'd give it a real good cleaning / polishing, and see if that would take care of it -- look for headlight cleaning kits, it'll take some time, but I bet you can get it back in shape...

Timco 09-20-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003S (Post 364084)
I'd give it a real good cleaning / polishing, and see if that would take care of it -- look for headlight cleaning kits, it'll take some time, but I bet you can get it back in shape...

I used the 3M kit and they sent that light out for resurface. It's been done twice.

I guess my issue is that they matched before. Now it's like the stuff my dogs leave on my lawn.

Meat Head 09-20-2013 06:42 AM

I think you guys are missing the point. His headlights matched before someone backed into him. Why should he have to deal with his car looking goofy because the headlights don't match??? He shouldn't have to waste his time and money purchasing products and buffing out the existing headlight either. He did not cause the problem. It should be made to look as good or better than it did before the incident.

My opinion......That is ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

PorscheBound 09-20-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Head (Post 364090)
I think you guys are missing the point. His headlights matched before someone backed into him. Why should he have to deal with his car looking goofy because the headlights don't match??? He shouldn't have to waste his time and money purchasing products and buffing out the existing headlight either. He did not cause the problem. It should be made to look as good or better than it did before the incident.

My opinion......That is ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

I work at a bodyshop and deal with complaints like this all the time. The common sense answer is yes the insurance company should make your car match. Unfortunatley the insurance company will not replace the other headlight if it was not damaged in the accident. They only fix what was damaged. They have no control over a faded headlight. Reality of it is, you can buff that passenger headlight back to new. We do it everyday here. We take 1500 grit sandpaper to it to get rid of all the oxidation, follow it up with rubbing compound, then plastic polish. Looks like new everytime. It will however come back overtime. Just letting you know that unless you get into the upper management of which ever insurance company you are dealing with, you probably will not get your other headlight replaced. Just basing my opinion on what I deal with on a daily basis. Hopefully you are a lucky one and get it approved.

texomawaves 09-20-2013 07:29 AM

This is good to know. If I ever have front end damage, I'll make sure i take a hammer to the other headlight before anyone takes a look at it... OR have the lady back into it again to make sure BOTH headlights are busted :)

PorscheBound 09-20-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texomawaves (Post 364098)
This is good to know. If I ever have front end damage, I'll make sure i take a hammer to the other headlight before anyone takes a look at it... OR have the lady back into it again to make sure BOTH headlights are busted :)

Haha im sure it has been done.

2003S 09-20-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 364086)
I used the 3M kit and they sent that light out for resurface. It's been done twice.

I guess my issue is that they matched before. Now it's like the stuff my dogs leave on my lawn.

Yeah, I wouldn't accept that. They should have replaced both if they couldn't find an old, cloudy one to match ;)

tonycarreon 09-20-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorscheBound (Post 364093)
I work at a bodyshop and deal with complaints like this all the time. Reality of it is, you can buff that passenger headlight back to new. We do it everyday here.

where in MD? my passenger light was replaced a few years ago, and the driver's side is a little more hazy now. i've tried to do it myself, but since i don't have the patience, would rather someone "professional" take care of it.

PorscheBound 09-20-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonycarreon (Post 364107)
where in MD? my passenger light was replaced a few years ago, and the driver's side is a little more hazy now. i've tried to do it myself, but since i don't have the patience, would rather someone "professional" take care of it.

We are right here in Frederick. Zamora's Autobody. I see you are from Frederick so it shouldnt be too bad for you. We are off of English Muffin Way which is in the industrial area of Frederick.

Edit: Just make sure the haze is on the outside. If it seems to be on the inside then we cant really do anything about that.

particlewave 09-20-2013 09:31 AM

Unfortunately, the insurance company won't do anything about that.

I would buy this set, and then sell your existing set. You can buy these, then sell yours individually(ds, ps) and maybe even make a profit. ;)

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/48484-fs-litronic-headlights.html

Trey T 09-20-2013 10:38 AM

The passenger just need to be sanded and polished. That's a simple task.

Is that it?

Wret 09-20-2013 10:53 AM

I be worried that they would want to dull the new one to match the old one!

RandallNeighbour 09-20-2013 10:54 AM

You'd be surprised how the Meguire's headlight restoration kit works on cloudy yellow lamp housings... makes them look brand new. Give it a try before you spend big money on a replacement unit.