Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #221
Certified Boxster Addict

Took my car to Willow Springs Streets track yesterday and raced the heck out of it! Its always fun to pass cars like a 2010 5.0 Mustang, 2011 6.2L Camaro, and a 2010 Cayman - all of which have my base 2.5L way out powered. Sometimes, its not all about the horsepower.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #222

Drove it top down in Maine in the middle of November. Sweet!
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #223

Wow, Incredible job on the engine. Too bad its so hard to show off the flat six. It really is a piece of art.

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #224
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Put some Kenwood 4" 3-way 120 watt speakers in place of the factory dash speakers..
The new speakers handle the volume increase with no distortion..

tore the paper and cones out of the factory speakers and threw them in the trash..
Used the base of the factory speaker base to adapter the new speakers to.

I highly recommend this mod to anyone wanting improved sound..

the car is rockin' now... what a difference a new set of speakers make..!

T
Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #225

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
Can you please share your method? Did you just take time and wipe everything down going through towel after towel or did you spray it with clearner and then with water??? Looks great!
Thanks! I did a little bit of both. I sprayed on an orange cleaner from HD and let it sit for a few minutes, rinse and repeat a few more times. I used rags to work on the stubborn areas and sprayed and rinsed some more. I used very gentle water to rinse, staying away from electical connections as much as I could. I thoroughly dried as much as I could as well. I was quite pleased at how well the orange cleaner worked and I am very happy with the results! I don't think that it was ever cleaned since the day it left the factory judging from what I saw.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
Put some Kenwood 4" 3-way 120 watt speakers in place of the factory dash speakers..
The new speakers handle the volume increase with no distortion..

tore the paper and cones out of the factory speakers and threw them in the trash..
Used the base of the factory speaker base to adapter the new speakers to.

I highly recommend this mod to anyone wanting improved sound..

the car is rockin' now... what a difference a new set of speakers make..!

T
Tony,
Need a little advice. I have nice JL speakers in dash and the rear storage box. I also have 6x40 factory amp. It is the door speakers that are no good which are factory. Any recommendations for replacing those without having to modify anything?
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #227
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Tony,
Need a little advice. I have nice JL speakers in dash and the rear storage box. I also have 6x40 factory amp. It is the door speakers that are no good which are factory. Any recommendations for replacing those without having to modify anything?
Bala:
I looked at all the mod's for the door speakers and they all require modifying the door panel.
While it doesn't seem that hard, I'm getting a nice bass out of mine and have not pulled the trigger to replace them yet.
With the addition of the new speakers, the added wattage is allowing for some nice volume without distortion.

I'm so pleased with the new speakers that I have no need to upgrade the door speakers at this time.

Sorry, no recommendations on the doors.
What I have read everyone is replacing them with 5 1/4" speakers low profile.

T
Old 11-14-2012, 05:17 AM   #228

Thanks Tony. Maybe i just need a replacement of the original. Shopping time again.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
Old 11-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #229
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Took my car to Willow Springs Streets track yesterday and raced the heck out of it! Its always fun to pass cars like a 2010 5.0 Mustang, 2011 6.2L Camaro, and a 2010 Cayman - all of which have my base 2.5L way out powered. Sometimes, its not all about the horsepower.
With that kind of claim we definitely need pics, preferred would be a dash cam!Must be a lot of fun. Good on you.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #230

Garage
I've been thinking about upgrading the speakers as well as i got way too much base coming from my speakers and even when i drop the base to -5 I still got way too much... its almost like the mid-tone is completely missing (maybe my hearing is going - so the wife tells me)
I'd prefer to keep it all stock without cutting or modifying but at the same time I'd hate to buy new crappy factory speakers. I like Tony's approach in just replacing the dash ones... Tony do you have a Kennwood model # of the speakers you used available? (sorry cant make it out on the little pics), did you have to trim off the tabs on the new metal speaker case to get them to fit?
Thanks
H
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #231
recycledsixtie

Garage
Driving in the snow covered streets - packed snow that is I am impressed how well my Box handles . Have no psm. Have not tried to get it into any serious skids yet on snow. Probably could use lessons at a Porsche winter driving school. Maybe a large vacant parking lot with about an inch of snow would be a good start.....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #232
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
I've been thinking about upgrading the speakers as well as i got way too much base coming from my speakers and even when i drop the base to -5 I still got way too much... its almost like the mid-tone is completely missing (maybe my hearing is going - so the wife tells me)
I'd prefer to keep it all stock without cutting or modifying but at the same time I'd hate to buy new crappy factory speakers. I like Tony's approach in just replacing the dash ones... Tony do you have a Kennwood model # of the speakers you used available? (sorry cant make it out on the little pics), did you have to trim off the tabs on the new metal speaker case to get them to fit?
Thanks
H
Heiko:
I purchased Kenwood KFC-1064S Flush mount 3 way speakers.
4Ω 120W peak power. Kenwood - KFC-1064S
The 4" is a little smaller than the base of the old speaker, but they have bendable/break-off tabs that help with the fitment.

You will be surprise to see the stock paper cone speakers. Mine had some foam deteriorating.
You need an angled socket for the Torx screws for against the windshield.
I left the crossover tweeter in the speaker grille but left the wires disconnected.

I used a dremel to cut the old speaker out to reuse the base.
Epoxy the new speaker to the base of the old speaker..
I also used the old connector and soldered it onto the new speaker.
That way I could just simply plug them in to the factory connector.

hope that helps.
T
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Hi jb92563,

You can do it two ways, I believe:

1). Hook backup camera to the video in on your head unit and then you can use video out to send to a portable digital video camera (or a GoPro - if you have one). My portable video camera, not a GoPro, will take signal via USB or VCR-type cable.

2). If you do NOT have video out, since that is a relatively new thing to OUTPUT a signal from the head unit, you can run the backup camera (which uses standard video cable, like for your DVD at home - hopefully you used shielding or a filter in the car since you HAVE to ROUTE the cables over or around the engine) to a splitter under your unit and connect up to the Head unit AND a stand alone video camera as a line in.

….you could always ask JD….the "dangerous crowd" has had this for years I'm guessing! You just don't hear about it….until you end up on YouTube!

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing video out cables on the back of my radio. I'll have to see if the Chinglish manual gives me any clues as to how that will work.

Plan B was to have a swarm of Nano Copters guard my car.
A Swarm of Nano Quadrotors-Crazy must watch HD - YouTube

Seriously though I am building one of these and it's fascinating to tinker with.

I think Danger has one of these in his tool box.
HD FPV - Hunting Hydrogen Balloons with Fireworks - YouTube
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #234

Garage
Excellent - thank you kindly for that info. I like the idea of re-using the connectors and the old speaker mounts. When i took the Bose box appart behind the seats I noticed the old foam surrounds are starting to get a bit tacky so the foam is pretty much toast. I'm not sure why they wouldnt use poly cones with rubber surrounds as they've been around way before 2000. I guess it would cut into their profit margins Ok i'm going to see if i can source some of these Kennwoods here and try the same.
Thanks again,
Heiko

Quick update.... 69 bux shipped to my door from Crutchfield.ca (and thats in CDN dollars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
Heiko:
I purchased Kenwood KFC-1064S Flush mount 3 way speakers.
4Ω 120W peak power. Kenwood - KFC-1064S
The 4" is a little smaller than the base of the old speaker, but they have bendable/break-off tabs that help with the fitment.

You will be surprise to see the stock paper cone speakers. Mine had some foam deteriorating.
You need an angled socket for the Torx screws for against the windshield.
I left the crossover tweeter in the speaker grille but left the wires disconnected.

I used a dremel to cut the old speaker out to reuse the base.
Epoxy the new speaker to the base of the old speaker..
I also used the old connector and soldered it onto the new speaker.
That way I could just simply plug them in to the factory connector.

hope that helps.
T

Last edited by Heiko; 11-14-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #235
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Excellent - thank you kindly for that info. I like the idea of re-using the connectors and the old speaker mounts. When i took the Bose box appart behind the seats I noticed the old foam surrounds are starting to get a bit tacky so the foam is pretty much toast. I'm not sure why they wouldnt use poly cones with rubber surrounds as they've been around way before 2000. I guess it would cut into their profit margins Ok i'm going to see if i can source some of these Kennwoods here and try the same.
Thanks again,
Heiko

Quick update.... 69 bux shipped to my door from Crutchfield.ca (and thats in CDN dollars)
Here's a YouTube video of cutting the factory speaker and putting an aftermarket speaker in its place.
Porsche Boxster Speaker Replacement - YouTube

Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #236

Garage
Clear Side Markers!

Before:

After!:

The de-ambering begins
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #237

Garage
Took the Box for a short ride today just because it was sunny and warm and no salt or sand on the roads yet.... and then I took the new GT3Tek Diffuser down to the body shop for paint I think it'll look sharp when finished.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #238

I got a hardtop for my car. Waiting on spinlocks to come in mail then install!!!
SF-Rockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #239

Me got a hardtop too.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
Old 11-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #240

Garage
Quote:
Took the Box for a short ride today just because it was sunny and warm and no salt or sand on the roads yet.... and then I took the new GT3Tek Diffuser down to the body shop for paint I think it'll look sharp when finished.
Be sure to post some pictures of that diffuser once you get it installed. I have been thinking about it since it came out. Let us know if it fit without trimming/modification.

As for today, I took my daughter to school this AM in the Boxster. Top was up at 25deg, but it will be down this weekend as we are supposed to hit 50!

MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote