Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
I did run it directly to the input so I could record trucks going off the road that are trying to follow (darn, I WISH I would have had it switched to "rearview" mode - I was making a "hands-free" call and listening to music at the same time - you can only do three things at once).
Haaa, thats funny.

We could start a new thread...."video- Cars trying to hang with a Boxster in the twisties"

I still have to install my rear camera to my double DIN. Is there a way you can hook it up to record?

Being at one end of the Ortega (Major Twisties) I have the perfect location to film cars bouncing off the new guard rails and perhaps flying off into the abyss of the ravines.

The canopy of bushes is so thick in those ravines I think the car would just land on top of a big cushion of branches.

Motor cyclists never hit the bottom either but get hung up in branches as well.

However, getting out would be another matter altogether and its likely that the mountain lions in the area would find you an easy meal in those ravines.

Just thinking out loud (with a sense of humor) and eagerly awaiting my drive home from work.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #202
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Well, after a crazy day at work I was on my way home and needed to pick up some Mobile 1 full synthetic (5.99/qt) that was on sale at Autozone and found a killer leather fitted shift knob. On a whim, I buy it and bring it home and it fits like a glove...not bad for a $20.00 gamble.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #203
Track rat

Garage
I replaced my failed ign. switch that caused my battery to go flat. Total time was about 1 hr from reviewing Pedros how-to, thru completion. Finding my good headband LED worklight, just the right screwdrivers and reading glasses smoothed the process. I didn't mind the tight space so much but I am increasingly far-sighted so I needed spectacles of the exact focal length as well.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #204

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
... and found a killer leather fitted shift knob. On a whim, I buy it and bring it home and it fits like a glove...not bad for a $20.00 gamble.
Picture of your new leather??

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #205

Garage
Made sure Boxxie was safe during Sandy, i.e. indoors.
Looks like we weathered the storm reasonably well, just half a tree in the front yard.
Lots of trees and power lines down.
Mmm, winds picking up a bit again.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #206

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Picture of your new leather??
Yeah, for real. Need to change my aging leather too!
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #207
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Haaa, thats funny.

We could start a new thread...."video- Cars trying to hang with a Boxster in the twisties"

I still have to install my rear camera to my double DIN. Is there a way you can hook it up to record?
Hi jb92563,

You can do it two ways, I believe:

1). Hook backup camera to the video in on your head unit and then you can use video out to send to a portable digital video camera (or a GoPro - if you have one). My portable video camera, not a GoPro, will take signal via USB or VCR-type cable.

2). If you do NOT have video out, since that is a relatively new thing to OUTPUT a signal from the head unit, you can run the backup camera (which uses standard video cable, like for your DVD at home - hopefully you used shielding or a filter in the car since you HAVE to ROUTE the cables over or around the engine) to a splitter under your unit and connect up to the Head unit AND a stand alone video camera as a line in.

….you could always ask JD….the "dangerous crowd" has had this for years I'm guessing! You just don't hear about it….until you end up on YouTube!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #208
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
Well, after a crazy day at work I was on my way home and needed to pick up some Mobile 1 full synthetic (5.99/qt) that was on sale at Autozone and found a killer leather fitted shift knob. On a whim, I buy it and bring it home and it fits like a glove...not bad for a $20.00 gamble.
OK, here are the pictures as promised...

Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #209
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
I became a member of the De-snorkel club.. Feels good, sounds great..

Name:  DSCN0434.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  344.6 KB
Name:  DSCN0437.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  341.1 KB
Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #210
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Way to go Tony!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #211
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
I became a member of the De-snorkel club.. Feels good, sounds great..

Attachment 16739
There are those headlights again...you like them? Worth getting?
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #212
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
There are those headlights again...you like them? Worth getting?
I love those lights, I run around with my parking lights on for DRL's..lol

The turn signals are the coolest part of them, amber when blinking but when you disengage the turn signal the white LED fades back on as DRL..
Very bright at night.

They are not as sealed as the stock lights. I'm starting to see a little haze inside one of the lens. So the jury is out right now if I would recommend them to someone else and they get ticked off at me.
I do prefer them over the dull stock ones.

Overall I think it modernizes the looks. I had people ask what year and when I tell them, they don't believe the car is a 2001.
T
Old 11-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #213

I'm going to push mine off a cliff.....seriously, I'm still trying to fix my electrical problem.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #214
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockmeister View Post
I'm going to push mine off a cliff.....seriously, I'm still trying to fix my electrical problem.
Always the hardest repair on any brand, I feel for you. My 944 had 1,500 in stereo and alarm added when I bought it. Long story short, the alarm box was draining the battery without any other indication that it was not performing correctly. Took a long time to trace it down, don't give up! Think of how you will feel when you finally succeed and keep on keepin on.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #215

Garage
Saturday Trip

We started out with breakfast at Charlie's Diner In Cleveland and drove out to Hubbard Ohio with a stop at the Hartville fleamarket before going for lunch at the Emerald Diner. Mostly two lane roads and rain all the way. Unfortunately, The Emerald diner had burned down.

rem503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #216

Garage
Can you guess what I did?

Before:

After

I also cleaned out the drain holes and of course gave the rest of the car a bath.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #217

Looks great BruceH !
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #218

Garage
I did this... well, actually, I fixed this, and the other side.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #219
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem503 View Post
We started out with breakfast at Charlie's Diner In Cleveland and drove out to Hubbard Ohio with a stop at the Hartville fleamarket before going for lunch at the Emerald Diner. Mostly two lane roads and rain all the way. Unfortunately, The Emerald diner had burned down.

I grew up and lived 5 minutes from the hartville flea market for 30 years. Great place to go!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #220
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Can you guess what I did?

Before:

After

I also cleaned out the drain holes and of course gave the rest of the car a bath.

Can you please share your method? Did you just take time and wipe everything down going through towel after towel or did you spray it with clearner and then with water??? Looks great!

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote