Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
Forum Contributor

Ebay Scammers

I've seen too many car scams in forums and on ebay that I've decided to take action. Please READ.

I've actually seen a guy steal pictures out of the members rides section of 7thgencivic and then post the car for sale on ebay.

SO, I thought I would post up the site that a buddy of mine has been working on with me. We're hoping that car clubs, or whatever will post up some scams they find in the forums to help people out. We ended up catching 3 cars illegally being sold on ebay the week after the civic one. So we decided to start up a forum where they could try to trace them down.

www.scamboards.com

The site really can't be found right now in search engines, but we're planning on getting the site "live" in like a week.

There is still a lot more that has to be added, but I'd love for people to check it out and be so kind as to register. Hopefully if the number or people grows some, we can really put a dent in the scum on ebay.

That's really what we're hoping for here.

AND... my final request. If you find or hear of any shady stuff going down on ebay.... POST IT or let me know. We want to let people to know that there is a lot of bad stuff going down on ebay as well as the internet in general

Just Register, and Notify the board if anything crazy would shop up. We'll take it from there and try to remove them from ebay and whatnot.

I appreciate it a lot.

If you belong to any other car threads or forums, please spread the word. I've seen 2 car problems within the last month on other car forums. So I know it's all over the place.

If the people who run this site would want to put a sticky somewhere or something about scamboards, It might help? I'm just not sure what they think about it.

I'd apprecaite any feedback or remarks.

kmanscam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
Forum Contributor

anyone have any feedback? positive or negative......
Old 12-15-2004, 10:41 PM   #3

Here is one for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7941895146&fromMakeTrack=true
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:16 AM   #4

Here are some tips on how you can spot the scam.

1. Seller has no feedback on EBAY. Obviously, this is a bogus name.

2. Price is absurd, not even close.

3. No VIN number to check out the car's background on line.

4.No location

5. Free shipping of a car?

6. 3 day listing

This is too bad as I advertise real Porsches on EBAY. This guy is not even a good scam artist. However, it does show how easy it is to attract greedy buyers.

I have sent Jay an email and will make a "bid" on this car. Perhaps I can help EBAY catch him and throw him off the service.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:45 AM   #5

Did you email the guy to get on the pre-approved bidders list?
Old 12-16-2004, 06:09 AM   #6

Yes, no response as of yet!

Old 12-16-2004, 08:00 AM   #7

You mean you can't buy a 2003 996 Cabriolet for $15,000?

Well, the scammers need money for Christmas.

I thought this auction would have been pulled by now.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:57 AM   #8
Forum Contributor

this is exactly what I'm talking about. Although you are right.... he's not exactly a good scam artist. I put up a link to the auction.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:43 PM   #9
Forum Contributor

We're going to hit 17k page views today! Thanks to everyone that has helped!
Old 12-16-2004, 04:11 PM   #10

I just got a canned email from this guy. Send him the dough, the car is in Rome and he will pay shipping.

Histerical!

Old 12-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #11
Forum Contributor

will you send the email to me? PM it to me.... I'll post it up on the site.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:16 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
I sent the email too, it was pretty funny. The car is in Italy...here's the gist of the email I got, maybe you got something different, Brucelee!

"Hello,
The car is still available for sale and ready to be shipped.
I'm very glad that you like my car and I can only say that you have good taste about cars!This car was never crushed, droped or raced,no scathches,no dents and also it has a clear title. I took care of it like it was my own baby and now is in the same condition as it was when I bought it - even better!
The price is $ 15,000 including shipping to your home address.
Shipping will be done via Lufthansa Air Cargo from Rome,Italy and it will take no more then 4 days for the car to arrive at the delivery location.I am in the Military and Lufthansa will manage me a low price for shipping and if you will pay the money transfer taxes,I will pay for the shipping fees.I will arrange for you not to pay any dutyes when the car will pass through customs.In this way the car can be delivered to your home address.
Also,you have nothing to worry about this deal because will be done it in a secure way.The most important thing in all my activities, is that I am affiliated at eBay Square Trade and I have a Purchase Protection Account for USD $20,000 and I assume you know what this means.If you did not hear about Square Trade here are their terms:
1) If you will not receive the car not as advertised,Square Trade will refund you the whole amount which you paid me(100 %).In case that you will not receive the car,they will refund you the money back from my account.
2) You can send the money to my name and address but you will not provide me the details of the payment.You will provide the details to Square Trade.They will verify the payment and if is ok,and the money are availble under my name they will notify me to procede with the shipping.After you receive and see that the car is the one you want,you just notify Square Trade to forward me the payment details in order for me to pick up my money.
Let me know if this is ok with you,so that we can go forward with this deal!About the payment Square Trade will manage in my place the financial details.
Regardes!
p.s. If you have the money ready and you want to buy my baby I need your full name and shipping address in order to contact Square Trade to start the deal. "

Jeeze, for 15K I could turn around and make a pretty decent profit...

-Kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:20 PM   #13
Forum Contributor

I posted that email up on the site. Tell me you're going to give him info. This is the sort of thing that needs to be followed. For the last guy I even photo chopped a fake check for him to prove how interested I was. He might have a fake "square trade" website ready to go.

please give me updates so I can post them up. This could get really good.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #14

This sounds a lot like those

"helo i aM a prinse from Turkmensitan and mi countre is curentl . . . . ect ect ect. . . . please send me $10K so that I can get my fortune out of some bank and I will split it with you" fishing email scams.

People like this are ruining eBay and the internet in general. Good luck, kmanscam.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:12 PM   #15
Forum Contributor

thanks for the positive feedback
Old 12-16-2004, 08:44 PM   #16

Never mind. It is finally gone.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:27 AM   #17

Drat. There go my dreams of a 15K 2003 Carrera.

:-(

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Old 12-17-2004, 07:07 AM   #18
Forum Contributor

anyone have the guys email addy? I never got it
Old 12-17-2004, 09:59 AM   #19

PM Sent

Old 12-17-2004, 11:23 AM   #20

The car was off ebay when I tried to look it up. I guessing from the posts he was suppossedly "selling" a 03 911 for 15K in mint!! hahaha. Definately one of those to good to be true deals.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote