Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Pics of my mods progress

Hey Guys,

Have some pics of the mods I've been doing to my Boxster. Nearly all cosmetic. I still have some stuff to do like replacing carpet with leather on the passenger door, adding leather to the two sections behind the seats that are above and below the firewall. And I still need to finish painting my calipers and adding the porsche decals. Another couple of hacks I did that aren't in the photos is a garage door button hack and the operate while moving convertible hack.

Cheers

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #2

second set
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
Old 01-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
blkboxster

Hey, here are some of my opinions,

#1- I think it would look better if you take the boxster logo out of the doors.
#2 lower the 986 emblem on the back of the car
#3 either change all of your headlights to clear not just the sides, of put the orange back on.
#4, is it me or is there a gap on the left taillight
either then that looks good

Old 01-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #4

All of the mods are well done.
I really like the leather behind the seats and the leather on the doors.
How hard would it be to put a criss cross patteren in the leather behind the seats as in the RUF?

The car is coming along very well.

Great job.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:39 AM   #5

Looks great man. Your car is great looking. I really like the boxster on the door handle.

Other than the leather behind the seats, I have done the same mods.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I agree with everything blkboxster said, except I think the logo's on the doors are sort of unique so leave them alone.
Also, why are you covering everything in leather? It is totally personal preference, but it is not factory spec. and looks a little off to me.
But overall great job with the mods. Did you do the painting yourself?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #7

leather on the lower door panels looks great.
extra boxster logo on door pulls look crooked.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
Hey, here are some of my opinions,

#1- I think it would look better if you take the boxster logo out of the doors.
#2 lower the 986 emblem on the back of the car
#3 either change all of your headlights to clear not just the sides, of put the orange back on.
#4, is it me or is there a gap on the left taillight
either then that looks good

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I appreciate the honesty.

1..I kinda questioned the boxster logo on the doors myself right after I did it. But it's kinda grown on me. Humara, they are at an angle but the angle matches that of the trim. It might just be the angle of the camera. If I did decide to redo these without the logo I'd have to sand them down and totally repaint them as the decals are under the paint.

2. I adhered the 986 in the exact same position as the original Boxster logo. You still think it would look better lower? What do you guys think about painting the 986 Seal Grey?

3. This is all work in progress. One thing at a time. So as soon as I can get clear headlights I'll do it.

4. lemme check if there's a gap in the tail light....yeah there is, dang. I'll have to take a look at that.

To answer other questions...

yeah, did all the painting myself. got the supplies and paint from expresspaint.com.

the leather...I dunno, personal preference. I always felt there was just too much carpet everywhere inside the boxster. I'd like to keep going with it so the only carpet is on the floor board. When the seats are back the leather between them on the firewall looks a lot better than the carpet...In my opinion. To do any kind of patterns would probably require more advanced upholstery/sewing skills. Not quite there yet in skills. Keeping in mind I've never done any of this kind of stuff before.

Last edited by TimAustinW; 01-06-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #9

all the mods look good to me, i did the leather on the back as well and it looks soooo much better as it does in ur car. i would say that the boxster on the door handle is cool but it looks a lil crooked...maybe its just the picture? all in all i like the mods.
now all u need to do is get rid of all of that amber and your car will be great! :-)

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #10

Smile

I guess everyone has their own opinions but I think all the mods look good. I especially like the 'boxster' on the door handles. I would have left the 'boxster' emblem on the back and put the 986 underneath it, but looks GREAT man. Nice Job !!
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #11

Tim, I'd appreciate a pictorial write-up on how to take off carpet and put on leather; and where you purchased the leather.

I would really like to clad all the faded black vinyl in my boxster with leather and do it myself to save money and have the satisfaction of doing it myself. Dash, doors, front and rear parts of the center console, console lid, etc.

Any help you could provide would be great. Sheesh. You're only 2 hours away. I should drive over and watch you do the next leather application and learn from the master first-hand!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #12

Nice job, I like the leather doors. It really puts a new look to it. I'm curious about the painting that you did, did the paint you purchase match your color well also did it require the traditional process with paint gun and compressor or was it in a spray can?
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #13

Hi, I really like the leather on the lower door panels looks great, was always wanting to do that mod, can you give a brief explanation of how it's done.

Thanks
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:34 AM   #14

Wow, nice mods! I like everything except for the Boxster logo on the door handles. I just think it's overkill. Maybe would have looked better on the center "batwing" piece. Don't paint your 986 logo. Keep it black. Nice to have it set off from the color underneath. Position looks fine to me.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco
Hi, I really like the leather on the lower door panels looks great, was always wanting to do that mod, can you give a brief explanation of how it's done.

Thanks

I've only done one door so far. When I do the other door I'll take the time to document the process. It's actually fairly simple to do. The door panel was the first part of the car I did with leather and I had never done anything like that before. So if I can do it anyone can.

Getting the door panel off was a little tricky but there are plenty of write ups on how to do that. Getting the carpet off was the biggest pain. When you pull the carpet off (at least on mine) most of what comes off is the carpet mesh leaving the majority of the fibers still glued onto the door. I wasted an hour or so plucking the fibers from the door panel before breaking out a spoon and was able to simply scrape them off. The leather I got off of Ebay. Just do a search for Upholstery Leather. I bought 6 sq feet for about $100. If you are only doing your door panels you could get away with buying less. It's probably safer to get more because if you run out and have to buy more there's no guarantee that it will match the first batch. I bought a can of 3M spray adhesive from Lowes to adhere it and took my time starting from the center out.

It might be a few weeks before I get to the other panel but when I do I'll take photos and post a DIY.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxs2000
Nice job, I like the leather doors. It really puts a new look to it. I'm curious about the painting that you did, did the paint you purchase match your color well also did it require the traditional process with paint gun and compressor or was it in a spray can?
Per suggestions from members of this site I bought my seal grey paint, primer, clear coat in spray cans from expresspaint.com. The Seal Grey I got from them in my opinion is a tad shade darker than the factory paint. I don't know if it might be due to the fact that my paint job is now 6 years old and possibly faded a bit. You can see the difference most apparently on the bumperettes. For the interior trim you don't notice because nothing butts up to the exterior paint. For the inside it's close enough.

For the trim the process was to clean the pieces well. Some pieces, like the pocket lids have a thin rubber coating that will need to be removed. Some people suggested that you put them in the dish washer and it will peel right off. I just soaked mine in really hot water and scrubbed it off with a dish sponge. Then wet sanded them down. A few light coats of primer covering the surface, a few light coats of the seal grey and then three or four coats of clear coat. I wanted my stuff glossy!

The most important thing is to BE PATIENT!!!!! Let each layer dry before the next coat and before you apply the next coat make sure to wipe each piece off with a tack cloth (get it from expresspaint) to remove dust or dirt that may have settled onto the trim. I screwed up my pocket lids this way. Ended up doing them three times.

Things I learned the hard way...

1. Be patient! You'll want to see how each piece looks against your interior and if you don't wait until they are completely dry (especially the clear coat stage) you risk finger prints, scratching, or dropping the pieces and chipping them.
2. You can't spray the paint on top of clear coat (part of my screw up phase) it beads up and leaves you with little cracks. Gotta sand it back a bit.
3. Use the tack cloth religiously so you don't end up painting over dust and dirt.
4. Find the cleanest area possible to do this with good ventilation and good light. Get some shop lights if you can.
5.When removing your panels and trim place all related screws and bolts into plastic baggies and label them. If you do all your trim at once including the center console it's quite the challenge figuring out what each screw goes to when it comes to putting it all back together. Humpty dumpty had a better chance at being put back together again.

This was all a learning process for me. I chose to do this myself for the satisfaction of saying I did it myself but also for financial reasons. If I were to buy all the pieces prepainted from a place like bumper plugs it would have cost me over $2000. To get it professionally painted at a body shop I was looking at around $1000. By doing it myself I spent about $300 altogether for the paint and supplies. Some pieces could be better.

There are more detailed write ups if you search for them.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #17

Thanks, Tim! Great info in this thread. During the dog days of summer, and finances permitting, I'll swath my entire interior with black leather.

Then I'll finally have a name for my car... "The Dominatrix"
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #18

986 emblem

Hey All,

I've wanted to swap the Boxster emblem with a "986", but I don't think the black emblem would look good on my dark blue paint (sorry I don't know the technical name for my factory color).

Anyway, I found a silver 986 emblem at www.stuttgartperformance.com and was wondering if anyone had any pictures before I bought one sight unseen?

Thanks,
-Roger
rzucchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Thanks, Tim! Great info in this thread. During the dog days of summer, and finances permitting, I'll swath my entire interior with black leather.

Then I'll finally have a name for my car... "The Dominatrix"
Haha, you could complete that Dominatrix look by swapping out the steering wheel and door handles with that made from chromed chain links, then put leather tassels hanging off the side mirrors
Old 01-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #20

[QUOTE=TimAustinW]Hey Guys,

Have some pics of the mods I've been doing to my Boxster. Nearly all cosmetic. <<<

Nice work Tim and I admire your courage to take on upholstery work.

Do change the headlights to clear as it does make a great difference (IMHO)

I like the paint work inside on the console and maybe someday I will do the same.

I have the same wheels you do and I believe they were only made for the year '01 so they are fairly scarce. I do NOT care for the turbo twist/technology type wheels and would have changed them before I did another thing. I still may get a set of the '02 Carrera Light weight 5 spoke wheels as I like them best of all.

I am in the process of replacing my side vent covers with the '03/'04 4 vane models and will be painting them Arctic Silver with a spray can then clear coat. I bought them from LA dismantlers and had to do a bit of 'repair' work on them as it looks like someone tried to first remove them with a screw driver pry but then gave up and did it the right way. I will post pics when I get this done.

The Boxster on your door handle is OK but does nothing for me personally but it is not the worst mod I have ever seen. Overall nice job and keep us posted on your progress.

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote