View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #15
TimAustinW

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco
Hi, I really like the leather on the lower door panels looks great, was always wanting to do that mod, can you give a brief explanation of how it's done.

Thanks

I've only done one door so far. When I do the other door I'll take the time to document the process. It's actually fairly simple to do. The door panel was the first part of the car I did with leather and I had never done anything like that before. So if I can do it anyone can.

Getting the door panel off was a little tricky but there are plenty of write ups on how to do that. Getting the carpet off was the biggest pain. When you pull the carpet off (at least on mine) most of what comes off is the carpet mesh leaving the majority of the fibers still glued onto the door. I wasted an hour or so plucking the fibers from the door panel before breaking out a spoon and was able to simply scrape them off. The leather I got off of Ebay. Just do a search for Upholstery Leather. I bought 6 sq feet for about $100. If you are only doing your door panels you could get away with buying less. It's probably safer to get more because if you run out and have to buy more there's no guarantee that it will match the first batch. I bought a can of 3M spray adhesive from Lowes to adhere it and took my time starting from the center out.

It might be a few weeks before I get to the other panel but when I do I'll take photos and post a DIY.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote