Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #1

Garage
Anyone traded up from a 986 to a 996?

Edit: sorry, posted in wrong section by accident. I reposted in the Boxster discussion forum. If a mod wants to delete, please do so.

Just wondering if anyone as made the move from a 986 to a 996 and have any regrets. I love my car, a 2000 986S and am thinking of making the move. It's not for more power or prestige or anything, but simply to gain back seats. My son is currently 15 months old and we are working on giving him a sibling. As it is, my time is limited that I get to spend in the car due to the fact I cannot take him with me, as well as I cannot take my wife in the car as she is watching our son if I'm not. Basically want to enjoy the car with my family, which is the reason for thinking of this move. I know the back seats are small but have spoken to many who do have their kids in the back and thoroughly enjoy it. I know the Boxster is said to be a better drivers car, and I don't doubt it, but I don't track the car and just enjoy nice, fun leisurely drives. So wondering if others have made the move for whatever reasom, what their thoughts are after making the jump.

Last edited by Goldenzrule; 02-11-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Goldenzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:35 PM   #2

I have both, and they are two totally different vehicles in many respects, but I love them both for their individual strengths. As for the back seats, space is fine for an infant, but once they start school it will be a tight fit.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:29 PM   #3

When I was in your boat, with a second child in 1995, I owned a '90 Miata and an '84 Alfa Spider. I solved the issue by selling the Miata and buying a '94 Mustang GT convertible. Problem solved!

I moved from a 2000S to a 2003 996 cab almost three years ago. I don't track my car or drive it that hard our roads are pretty straight and flat. I like the 996 just fine and am glad I bought it. I can't really say its more fun than the Box. More power, yes but not overwhelmingly so. Everything else about it feels very similar.

Don't get me wrong, I was looking at 996's every night and I feel I got a great one. I do think decent 996's are at a pretty good spot on the depreciation curve so it was worth trying it out.

Thing is during my nightly car searches, I seem to look at Boxster's and Caymans, neither of which solve your problem but that's where I'm at!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:34 PM   #4

Garage
Had a 2004 40th Anniversary, and miss that car... but not for the rear seats.

Drive a Cayenne Turbo S which not only has full size rear seats, but they are heated... and the pepper is AWD, very safe . And Cayennes are so cheap (like Boxsters) so if your small passengers spill something, it's not like they are endangering a future classic. You can add to your stable and then save the 911 for later.

First Boxster, not first Porsche
litesonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:56 AM   #5
Who's askin'?

I'm not convinced that's a "trade up"?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #6

I have both as well. As people said they are two different types of car. The 986 base is a true sports car. It drives on rails, can be thrown around and has pep but not over powered. The 996.2 C4S is more GT & Track because it's a super refined car. It cost almost twice as much and it shows. It's powerful with a larger engine but you cruise down the highway at 85 and it's easy. In the turns the 996 is good especially compared to other cars but the 986 is just built for that. If you want a more family type car that still is a p-car the 996 is a great choice. If you want a true sports car keep your 986 and get a sedan.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:03 AM   #7

I'm in the get both camp. These are mine. IF you squint there is a '77 924 too.

2001 986
2002 996

Last edited by 2ata; 03-11-2021 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
IntlJoe

I did as well, but it was because I was cramped for room in the boxster. The 996.2 suits my 6'4" frame much better.
They're both great cars but I prefer the 996 for everyday practicality - esp the rear seat for tossing stuff in the back instead of popping the trunk/hood.
anupaminsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesonic View Post
Had a 2004 40th Anniversary, and miss that car... but not for the rear seats.

Drive a Cayenne Turbo S which not only has full size rear seats, but they are heated... and the pepper is AWD, very safe . And Cayennes are so cheap (like Boxsters) so if your small passengers spill something, it's not like they are endangering a future classic. You can add to your stable and then save the 911 for later.
Bought my wife a 955 turbo S for her birthday and WOW! What a great vehicle! Imported it from Canada (PITA) but it had only 85k miles on the clock. 520HP, two turbos, wicked powerful, super comfortable... and we just returned from a 2500+ mile trip through the southwest. Loved every mile! I think the Cayenne turbo (and turbo S, if you can find them) is the best bargain out there right now.

Also have a 2004 986S Boxster and have started the search for a 996 C4S or Turbo/S to add to the stable. But I suspect we'll have the Box and the pepper for the long haul.
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:11 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
Bought my wife a 955 turbo S for her birthday and WOW! What a great vehicle! Imported it from Canada (PITA) but it had only 85k miles on the clock. 520HP, two turbos, wicked powerful, super comfortable... and we just returned from a 2500+ mile trip through the southwest. Loved every mile! I think the Cayenne turbo (and turbo S, if you can find them) is the best bargain out there right now.

Also have a 2004 986S Boxster and have started the search for a 996 C4S or Turbo/S to add to the stable. But I suspect we'll have the Box and the pepper for the long haul.
I have a stage 1 Audi S6 as well, and we have the wife's SUV. The Porsche is just a fun car to have, but would like to enjoy that fun with the family as well. I'm fine with giving up some of the nimbleness, as I don't whip it around like a rag doll all that often. The ability to have my family with me would make it both a more usable car, and plain more fun for me.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:47 PM   #11

I went through this same dilemma with my family and i came to a conclusion...my wife wouldn't let me drive my sportscar the way it's meant to be driven with the kids in it and i sort of didnt want to either. I upgraded my 986 to a 981 and now appreciate a great deal the days the grandparents come over to watch the kids and the wife and i take the Boxster out for a cruise with NO kids along for the ride.

true "the grass is always greener scenario" I do think when the 981 is paid off i get a sports sedan that i can use with the family that wont be a daily driver and has performance over comfort with 4 doors. I'd keep my Honda Ridgeline for utilitarian general purpose duties but i'm convinced my ideal set up is a 3 car solution...1st world problems!!
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:27 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9515 View Post
I went through this same dilemma with my family and i came to a conclusion...my wife wouldn't let me drive my sportscar the way it's meant to be driven with the kids in it and i sort of didnt want to either. I upgraded my 986 to a 981 and now appreciate a great deal the days the grandparents come over to watch the kids and the wife and i take the Boxster out for a cruise with NO kids along for the ride.

true "the grass is always greener scenario" I do think when the 981 is paid off i get a sports sedan that i can use with the family that wont be a daily driver and has performance over comfort with 4 doors. I'd keep my Honda Ridgeline for utilitarian general purpose duties but i'm convinced my ideal set up is a 3 car solution...1st world problems!!
We, unfortunately, don't have any family help. His grandparents are physically incapable of watching him at this point, and we live an hour away from any family (grandparents included).

Last edited by Goldenzrule; 04-10-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:25 AM   #13

I have both although my Boxster is no longer a road car but it was stock for years. I expected my 996 to be very similar to the Boxster but they are worlds apart. My Boxster is a 97 and my 996 is a 2003 so that may be part of the reason but the 996 feels far more like a real car and the Boxster has always felt like a toy. The difference is in the space, the lack of mid-engine noises and vibrations, the security and low noise levels of an actual roof etc.

I bought my 911 when my wife was pregnant for the same reason you're thinking of getting one and well...I'm not sure it will ever be the family car I wanted it to be. Sure I'll be be able to pile the family in on an occasion or two but it really isn't big enough. I hate to say this but you might want to look into an e90/92 M3....
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
I have both although my Boxster is no longer a road car but it was stock for years. I expected my 996 to be very similar to the Boxster but they are worlds apart. My Boxster is a 97 and my 996 is a 2003 so that may be part of the reason but the 996 feels far more like a real car and the Boxster has always felt like a toy. The difference is in the space, the lack of mid-engine noises and vibrations, the security and low noise levels of an actual roof etc.

I bought my 911 when my wife was pregnant for the same reason you're thinking of getting one and well...I'm not sure it will ever be the family car I wanted it to be. Sure I'll be be able to pile the family in on an occasion or two but it really isn't big enough. I hate to say this but you might want to look into an e90/92 M3....

Why is it no one is reading what I wrote? Where ever I ask this? I don't want a FAMILY CAR. I want a FUN car my family can go with me in. We have an SUV. I have a almost 600 HP sedan with big trunk. I don't need any of the other suggestions. I just want to know how a 996 fits a family for the occasional drive.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:02 PM   #15
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenzrule View Post
Why is it no one is reading what I wrote? Where ever I ask this? I don't want a FAMILY CAR. I want a FUN car my family can go with me in. We have an SUV. I have a almost 600 HP sedan with big trunk. I don't need any of the other suggestions. I just want to know how a 996 fits a family for the occasional drive.
You asked in early February. It's now into April and you are waiting for a precise answer? People write what they want. If you want a better answer, ask a more direct question with a title like, "Does a 996 fit a family with two small children?"
...and ask it on Rennlist.

I say +1 to the Turbo Cayenne.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:20 AM   #16
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenzrule View Post
I just want to know how a 996 fits a family for the occasional drive.
Put simply, it doesn’t. A 911 backseat is strictly cosmetic, a place to throw an overnight bag. You want a ‘family’ Porsche that isn’t an SUV? Get a Panamera. It has an actual backseat unlike a 911 that only handles people with no legs. Even children are too large for a 911. If you are able to wedge a child or 2 back there they won’t see out the windows anyway so what is the point of taking them for a drive.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote