Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #81

Intake port design / manufacturing optimization.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Good job! It`s interesting that the valves are not symetrically distributed.
Yeah, I do like that about the LS motors, Chevy dropped that shared port thing.

Unfortunately, all that is available for the 4.3 are just factory Vortec heads. I forgot the flow rate, but it boils down to a max of about 50hp per cylinder with stock heads N/A. Not too bad, but that exhaust is definitely a restriction. I just look at the glass half full and say it saves my transmission some heart ache

FWIW my cam is just large enough (212 duration at 450 lift) to give me optimal air flow without being a burden on excessive lift. I should be able to hit a good 7k RPM and still make power.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #83

OOOH boy the shiz is getting real.

I got my block back from the machine shop. Just need pistons .060 over; this ain't no 4.3 its a 4.4. lol I round up.

Of course rustoleum black.

AND I added a second pane to the back glass. I was not satisfied with the sound/heat deadening that a single 1/4" piece of plexiglass can provide. I also put about 15 pounds of sound deadener to the firewall under the carpet.

I also re-did the window tint. While the pre-cut stuff is easy to use; it was short. Like half a cm short on the bottom so when the window closed all the way (door closed) there was a strip of non tint on the bottom.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:40 PM   #84

Garage
Very nice. I guess nothing really can go wrong on such a classic OHV V6. Unless you blow it with a big charger Btw, what happened to the original motor?
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #85

Quote:
Very nice. I guess nothing really can go wrong on such a classic OHV V6. Unless you blow it with a big charger Btw, what happened to the original motor?
I wouldn't say the M90 is too big. Its no Detroit blower after all. I'm hopping to get about 6 or 7 pounds of pressure.

No idea about the original motor. Guy I bought it from said that it was an IMS failure, but IDK about that guy, same guy used a rag to adjust the headlight... I honestly didn't really care enough to check it.

Pistons should be pressed in tomorrow.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #86

The Box is all like "Please be gentle good sir" and that Chevy is like "HELL NA; I'MA RAM IT DOWN!"

But seriously I'm so close gotta get longer push rods and figure out a correct belt length... then its just a matter of sliding this bad boy in that purty gurl.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #87

O M G... Everybody talks up Kennedy engineering.. Oh man Kennedy is the bomb digity. Oh Kennedy makes some sharp shiz. BUT Dagnabit (I'm using softer words) I was gonna do some real hatting on Kennedy the other night.

I went to put in my trans on the KEP adaptor plate. I had previously (as seen on this thread) mocked the engine and trans up in the car. No problems right??? But when I went to put the trans back in for real this time I ran into a big snafu. One of the bellhousing bolts for the SBC is in the same spot as the Porsche bellhousing. I know thats not necessarily KEP's fault, but at least they could have not made a hole there or made some kind of note about it. SO I took the trans back out (what a pain). Cut a chunk out of the Porsche bellhousing.

THE Next attempt at re-installing the trans... I had it all bolted up with all the bellhousing bolts in place. And I went to put the starter motor in. CLUNK I hit the Porsche bellhousing. Apparently you have to cut out another chunk of the Porsche bellhousing to get their starter to fit. OH man I was cursing when I took the trans back out.

ANYWHO, alls well that ends well. I cut my chunks out and re-installed the trans.

^^^ Thats the area in question that anyone following me (I doubt there are those as crazy as I***) can use as reference on where to cut.

Here is the old girl sitting all pretty in that engine bay.... I just wanna cry its so beautiful.

So I asked on FB and someone politely responded to my inquiry, but I'm retarded and even more so when it comes to electricity. What color wires, or which pins do I need to make wires go to to make this sensor work. I feel like this is a VSS which is something I want and I accidently hacked it off. Does anybody have a wiring diagram I can follow the VSS wire to a source or know off the top of their heads which pin on what I need to make a wire to make this work?

***Or just touched in the head??

Old 10-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #88

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
O M G... Everybody talks up Kennedy engineering.. Oh man Kennedy is the bomb digity. Oh Kennedy makes some sharp shiz. BUT Dagnabit (I'm using softer words) I was gonna do some real hatting on Kennedy the other night.

I went to put in my trans on the KEP adaptor plate. I had previously (as seen on this thread) mocked the engine and trans up in the car. No problems right??? But when I went to put the trans back in for real this time I ran into a big snafu. One of the bellhousing bolts for the SBC is in the same spot as the Porsche bellhousing. I know thats not necessarily KEP's fault, but at least they could have not made a hole there or made some kind of note about it. SO I took the trans back out (what a pain). Cut a chunk out of the Porsche bellhousing.

THE Next attempt at re-installing the trans... I had it all bolted up with all the bellhousing bolts in place. And I went to put the starter motor in. CLUNK I hit the Porsche bellhousing. Apparently you have to cut out another chunk of the Porsche bellhousing to get their starter to fit. OH man I was cursing when I took the trans back out.

ANYWHO, alls well that ends well. I cut my chunks out and re-installed the trans.

^^^ Thats the area in question that anyone following me (I doubt there are those as crazy as I***) can use as reference on where to cut.

Here is the old girl sitting all pretty in that engine bay.... I just wanna cry its so beautiful.

So I asked on FB and someone politely responded to my inquiry, but I'm retarded and even more so when it comes to electricity. What color wires, or which pins do I need to make wires go to to make this sensor work. I feel like this is a VSS which is something I want and I accidently hacked it off. Does anybody have a wiring diagram I can follow the VSS wire to a source or know off the top of their heads which pin on what I need to make a wire to make this work?

***Or just touched in the head??
Not sure if that helps you any way, but on my car this connector is blank, wasn`t used and capped off. The only cable that comes from the tranny is the reverse gear switch. Perhaps it`s optional and the speed signal for the speedometer is coming from the ABS sensors?
Old 10-16-2020, 11:31 PM   #89
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
The connectors on the trans is/are either the neutral safety switch, and/or the reverse lights switch. The speed comes off the ABS reluctor on the hubs.

Badass project. I love the supercharger sticking up. I can't wait to hear it shriek.

Instagram: @squonkwerkzgarage
WizardSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #90

Quote:
Not sure if that helps you any way, but on my car this connector is blank, wasn`t used and capped off. The only cable that comes from the tranny is the reverse gear switch. Perhaps it`s optional and the speed signal for the speedometer is coming from the ABS sensors?
I guess you guys are right. Its not like me to just toss out a connector; especially not one that came off the trans.

Shriek it will, soon enough.

I got all the coolant things sorted. I have the coolant temp sender in the heads. I don't know what kinda temps thats gonna read; I might move it to the intake manifold as thats the OE location on the Chevy truck.

Looks like I'm just held up by a clutch slave cylinder. Then I just have to re-assemble the exhaust, drop the car off the jack stands, and wire it up.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:06 PM   #91

It sounds good... Just like a well muffled truck. Just what I wanted. If you're in a parking lot and I'm idling you'd be looking for the S10. LOL

I did unfortunately blow out like all of my intake manifold gaskets with backfire... Might have something to do with my nitwit plug wiring, but that gives me time to make some new ones. Also, gives me some time to trim the UIM down a little to allow for better timing control (the big distributer can't do a full 360).

All the wiring is done; just have to wrap it and tuck it. To give a tentative timeline I'd say a week or two and I'll be on the ground ready to tune the old edelbrock.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #92

Garage
Wow, you are not wasting your time for sure. Post a video if you have one, looking forward to seeing how it runs!

What`s that gauge on the charger? For measuring boost pressure?

Quote:
It sounds good... Just like a well muffled truck. Just what I wanted. If you're in a parking lot and I'm idling you'd be looking for the S10. LOL

I did unfortunately blow out like all of my intake manifold gaskets with backfire... Might have something to do with my nitwit plug wiring, but that gives me time to make some new ones. Also, gives me some time to trim the UIM down a little to allow for better timing control (the big distributer can't do a full 360).

All the wiring is done; just have to wrap it and tuck it. To give a tentative timeline I'd say a week or two and I'll be on the ground ready to tune the old edelbrock.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #93

Quote:
Wow, you are not wasting your time for sure. Post a video if you have one, looking forward to seeing how it runs!

What`s that gauge on the charger? For measuring boost pressure?
Its just an oil pressure gauge. I have the Porsche low oil pressure light hooked up for the dash, but I knida needed something to "plug the hole". Figured a gauge would be nice. I was gonna put it facing forward so I could see it in my rear view mirror, but the tint is so dark.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #94

Garage
You could use an MSD distributor like the link below which would give more clearance and a timing box which would improve performance and look really good doing it.

https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/distributors/chevrolet/parts/8597
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
You could use an MSD distributor like the link below which would give more clearance and a timing box which would improve performance and look really good doing it.

https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/distributors/chevrolet/parts/8597
I got a skinny one... But I kinda LOVE the clean look of the single wire distributer. I mean the 12+ wire hides under the lip in the back so you can't see it; then the 6 plug wires just come out. SUPER clean.

Its just a little grinding anyways.

I found my coolant leak; dunno if I mentioned that. Apparently I broke some kind of outlet or something on the overflow reservoir. Well it isn't used in my application anyway so I sealed it off.

With proper wiring it fires up every time, just as a SBC should. I'm tickled pink every time I fire it up. But cause I destroyed the adaptor plate gasket it doesn't run for long. I'm gonna have to take the SC off and re-make the gaskets.

As soon as Amazon delivers my super cool Mr. Gasket heavy duty gasket paper I'll be able to let it idle and play "find a wire" with the tachometer. Figure thats the simplest way to figure out how to get the tac working. Just strip the wires from the harness and plug in the tac signal.

I can't get a video to upload here... IDK why. Maybe I can try a link from FB?? oh well.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:08 AM   #96

Garage
Quote:
...I'll be able to let it idle and play "find a wire" with the tachometer. Figure thats the simplest way to figure out how to get the tac working. Just strip the wires from the harness and plug in the tac signal.

Careful. I cooked a Chevy diesel truck tac I got at auction doing it that way.
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:28 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Careful. I cooked a Chevy diesel truck tac I got at auction doing it that way.
I can't think of any other way to get tac signal to the gauge cluster. Like every tac information out there is how to put a silly aftermarket tachometer in a car... nobody wants to use the oem tachometer with an aftermarket engine.

I got the tac to blip once when I was testing the wires coming out of the DME. So I figured one of them if energized will make the tachometer move as it should. After all I have 6 pulses for every 360 degrees... just like an H6.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #98

Garage
I grabbed a wire with stronger output than my tac could handle.
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I grabbed a wire with stronger output than my tac could handle.
Ah, I see. Na, I am trying to get the tac signal from the distributer and send it to the Porsche gauge cluster. I would hope that the signal from the GM distributer is pretty light, but IDK.

When I was testing the wires a few months ago some of them, when put to ground through the multimeter (just testing for voltage) would give a blip on the tacho. ME THINKS that means if I give some of those wires a blip from a tac signal off the distributer they will make the little Porsche tac come to life.

This is what happens when you have the plug wires in the wrong spot and your engine says "CHECK YOUR TIMING" and you are like "F YOU I'm gonna pour more gas in the carb". Oh well I really shoulda clear coated that adaptor plate anyway.

And I picked up a piece of garbage on the side of the road today... then I put it on my car.

Well, I was thinking that air, being a fluid, would find the vacancy in the engine bay of my car the path of least resistance... then slap a Z-art top over that vacancy and I'll get all kinds of rumblings that I don't want. SO I wanted to make a belly pan of sorts (to keep that naughty air going out the back of the car). I found a washer machine on the side of the road near my house and I picked it up. Fits pretty well, I just need to do some trimming and paint. BUT I think its gonna do well back there. It fits under the OEM plastic trans tunnel (??) panel; so I don't think any excessive air is gonna really find its way into the engine bay.

BUT at the end of the day I know its just gonna look like I have a washer machine under my car. ROTFLMAO

Old 11-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #100

https://www.facebook.com/james.dallis/videos/10158000595343732

Dunno if that will work for you guys...

She's on the ground and I charged up the A/C. Now its just a matter of fixing a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse before I can back the boxsterado out of the garage. My wife's car warped the head and is currently blocking me in; gotta fix that first.

It looks so mean when its off the jack stands.