Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2021, 11:15 AM   #1

Garage
Suspension upgrade....

Finally got the car looking more to my liking and handling more like a sports car than a cruiser. It handles like its glued to the road now. I couldn`t understand why my 330 with Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit suspension was far superior handling than the Boxster, now I`m not so sure.
New struts with lowering springs, all new hardware, mounts, etc., also new boots while everything was apart, new tires and different spacers.
Last picture is of how I secured my hardtop to the wall in case someone is looking for an easy way to store their hardtop.

986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:51 AM   #2

Garage
Looks great!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:42 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Looks great!
Thanks . I`m not much of a photographer , it looks much better in person.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:18 PM   #4

How do you like the Elminator jack? I noticed it goes on sale now and then at Canadian Tire and have been curious to pick this one up.

Nice suspension setup by the way.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:51 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
How do you like the Elminator jack? I noticed it goes on sale now and then at Canadian Tire and have been curious to pick this one up.

Nice suspension setup by the way.

Thanks . I like it, but it's a bit heavy compared to the regular 3 ton that I have. It's low profile and long reach, so it makes it a lot easier to raise a lowered car from the front and the rear. I got it last year on sale. I'm not sure how much I paid, but it was $150.00 or $200.00 off the regular price.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:52 AM   #6
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I have a ‘Michelin’ jack from Canadian Tire purchased 7 years ago that is identical to the ‘Eliminator’ sold now. I guess jacks are ‘badge’ engineered as well as cars. The low profile, long reach and amazing height are perfect for the Boxster. It is showing it’s age but has always worked well when needed for any of my three vehicles and those of my bro in laws when we do our summer to winter tire change overs on our regular vehicles as well as service on the Boxster.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #7

Garage
Yeah it does lift very high compared to a regular jack. I think it lifts up to 24 inches if I'm not mistaken, and it goes up quickly and without much effort. It's a heavy duty jack, that's why it's much heavier than a regular jack.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:44 PM   #8
esc

Is the storage bag OEM? Does it have a part number?
esc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:48 PM   #9

Garage
No it`s not OEM, it`s made by North American custom covers.
https://www.northamericancustomcovers.ca/collections/porsche/products/hs-006
https://www.northamericancustomcovers.ca/collections/porsche/products/hs-006050b

Last edited by 986 Boxster; 09-01-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:44 AM   #10
esc

Thanks 986 Boxster, I will have to look into this for wall storage.

What is your new suspension setup and spacers? It looks nice.

I have Bilstein B12 (the B8 struts with OEM RS5 springs) on my S4, the ride/handling feels right. The 986 has H&R sports and ROW struts from original owner and it's perhaps too low and harsh. Apples to oranges comparison, but I'm not sure how much of it is the choice or parts vs wearing out.

Curious how much spacer you could fit with the lowering too, not a fan of my current tucked in look.

esc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #11

Garage
You're welcome esc. Thanks, you're car looks very nice also, I love the wheels. I have Koni Special Active and H&R sport springs. For spacers I have 20mm rear and 25mm front, I had 20mm at the front but I didn't like how it looked so I changed them to 25mm. You would have to measure for spacers, your wheels could be wider than mine and your off sets also might be different. Over the years I've had all kinds of suspension set ups on my cars, currently I have B12's on my 330xi, which is basically Bilstein B8's with Eibach Pro springs (similar to what you have on your S4) and although the car handles really nice, it's not as smooth of a ride as the Konis with the H&R sport springs. The Koni Special Active are designed to go with lowering springs up to 1.5 inches drop, they are soft while cruising but they stiffen up when you need them to. Do a bit of research on them and you will see for yourself that they are very good struts for the money. Overall I am very happy with my suspension set up, the car handles like it's on rails, without sacrificing the ride quality to much. I just hope that they last. Your car looks just as low as mine, I don't think your ROW struts are not designed to go with the H&R sport springs, your struts could be wrecked by now, just for the fact that you been running them with the H&R sport springs.