Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #261

Sorry if you're waiting on me to pull parts. I needed to get this done so I can get my car out of the shop. Finished with the skid plate. I went ahead and added a rear attachment to help keep the pan from bouncing around and causing metal fatigue. It was real simple as there was already a tapped hole right there. I liked using that spot versus the side mounts as it seemed a lot more robust. I painted the pan red but it's not like anyone can see it. Overall I'm happy with the outcome because it should give me a little relief from worrying about hitting stuff. It also doesn't add much weight. It is easy to make one for yourself and all you really need is a drill, jig saw and way to bend the metal. I used a bench vice to do the bending.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 03-18-2017 at 05:14 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #262

I got some new wheels for my boxster. They came on a wrecked boxster I just picked up. Oh the joy of owning your own candy store. The tires need replacing but the wheels themselves are in great shape. I was a little disappointed to see that they're Chinese made Victor wheels but I think they'll be fine for street driving. I'm hoping to start DE'ing soon and will use the stock wheels I previously had on my car for that. These new 18 inch Victor wheels were actually quite a bit lighter than the stock 17's I took off. I'm not so sure that's a good thing with these wheels though. Good for the street but probably scary for the track.

On that note about lighter is better. I switched to a Miata battery and saved 20 lbs. I've heard of people using the Miata battery and liking it. I don't have a stereo and rarely drive at night so I think I'll be ok.

I also started the process of putting an accusump in my car. A lot of spec guys are taking them out and almost giving them away. I got what you see in the pic for $100 but I could have only paid the guy for shipping because that's all he really wanted. I felt I had to give him something more than $20.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #263

It's been awhile since my last update and a lot has happen. A few months ago I had to remove the 3.4 out because green chunks were showing up in the filter and the lifters were very loud. I then installed a 3.2 motor I pulled from a flooded boxster. The 3.2 ran great and held oil pressure the whole time I was using it. It felt as powerful as the 3.4 it replaced. With the 3.4 out, I decided to let a friend look at it and see what he finds. He calls me back and tells me the lifters were soft and the tensioner guides looked bad but that was about it. I wasn't really looking forward to spending another $2000 in parts for the 3.4. I then decided to use the tensioners (along with new guides) and lifters from the 3.2 for the 3.4. The 3.4 had a new L&N pro, water pump and clutch disc. I figure I'll get the 3.4 back in and save the 3.2 for another day when I want to build a high horsepower motor. Guess which guides have 39k and which set has 55k? One from each set is missing from the pic

The 39K are on the bottom! That's what can happen to a motor sitting around with old oil. The O-rings inside the tensioners and guides were deteriorating. The chain ramps looked fine though. I'm guessing the soft lifters had lesson the power a lot as the 3.4 feels a little stronger than before. In the process of installing the motor I had cracked the oil fill tube and had to go back and replace it. I tried from the front but quickly decided to pull the engine harness forward and get the hose clamp from that angle. It's real easy to remove from that spot versus trying to reach in the engine bay
Old 05-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #264

I also finished installing the accusump. I bought the adapter from my friend who repaired the 3.4. He has the adapter and under drive pulley I use made and sells them mostly to the racing crowd. If you want to buy either the UDP or adapter, you can reach him at Mayo Performance Specialties (817) 540-4939 and ask for Chris.

I mounted the toggle switch next to the frunk/trunk release for two reasons. It was an easy location to run wire from the front to the back and it was in an easily accessible location that also wasn't in the way or might get bumped.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #265

I also finally got a set of lightweight seats installed. I had a customer who bought a car with them installed and wanted factory seats instead. We decided to trade and we both left happy. Him more than me. They look good until you start examining them and quickly realize they're Chinese knock offs. At first I would have given them a C- but after a few days I would bump them up to a C+. The seatbelt guides were painted a cheap silver so I took them off and covered them with plastidip. I have to warn anyone over 5'10 and 170lbs, they might be too small for you as I barely fit in them. I didn't weigh them or the factory seats before I did the switch, but I'd guess I lost at least 60LBs. They'll do for now
Old 05-14-2017, 04:54 AM   #266

Looking good, I always wondered about those seats, they do look good!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #267

And from what I understand, that remote oil filter adapter does not require the LN spin on adapter, it threads directly into the OEM spot.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #268
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Wow......

Go, Woody, Go!!!!

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:26 AM   #269

I had some parts I had to deliver to COTA yesterday and on the way there is a metal recycler. I drove up on the scale and was told 2940lbs. Needless to say I was disappointed after everything I've done to lose weight. Granted I had just filled up with fuel and was carrying about 40-50lbs of parts. I'm also not sure if that was with me on the scale or not. There was a little language barrier between the Mexican scale lady and me. So if I minus the fuel(17x6.3lbs=107lbs) and the 45lbs of parts, that puts me at 2788. I was hoping for more as I had figured around 200lbs of total weight loss. In actuality it was 250 taken off and 50 put back on because of the accusump and skid plate. I'm sure hoping that was with me on the scale too as 2788 sounds about right. I'm also not sure how accurate the scale was with such a light weight vehicle on it. Those scales are usually weighing vehicles that weigh 5000-80,000lbs.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I had some parts I had to deliver to COTA yesterday and on the way there is a metal recycler. I drove up on the scale and was told 2940lbs. Needless to say I was disappointed after everything I've done to lose weight. Granted I had just filled up with fuel and was carrying about 40-50lbs of parts. I'm also not sure if that was with me on the scale or not. There was a little language barrier between the Mexican scale lady and me. So if I minus the fuel(17x6.3lbs=107lbs) and the 45lbs of parts, that puts me at 2788. I was hoping for more as I had figured around 200lbs of total weight loss. In actuality it was 250 taken off and 50 put back on because of the accusump and skid plate. I'm sure hoping that was with me on the scale too as 2788 sounds about right. I'm also not sure how accurate the scale was with such a light weight vehicle on it. Those scales are usually weighing vehicles that weigh 5000-80,000lbs.
The few scales like these that I've put both my Boxster and Carrera on where both about 125 lbs more then I expected. I last one was 3170 and 3240 respectively. The owner of one said theirs shows about 100 to 150 more then the actually weight and all they care about is the before and after weight and even this can be off +/- 5 lbs since it weighs in 10 lbs increments. I think you can probably knock off 75 lbs and have a pretty accurate number.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:48 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
The few scales like these that I've put both my Boxster and Carrera on where both about 125 lbs more then I expected. I last one was 3170 and 3240 respectively. The owner of one said theirs shows about 100 to 150 more then the actually weight and all they care about is the before and after weight and even this can be off +/- 5 lbs since it weighs in 10 lbs increments. I think you can probably knock off 75 lbs and have a pretty accurate number.
Thanks for the info. I've seen some races have tech inspection with scales set up and I'm thinking I'll try and sneak onto one when I get a chance.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:20 AM   #272

My car at the scales at Roebling was 2950'ish with around half fuel, and me not in the car, and no lightening measures. So your 2950 had to be with you in the car due to the language barrier. No way you are still at 2950 empty with all the stuff you have taken off.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #273

Build another car!
motorjon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorjon68 View Post
Build another car!
I think that's a compliment? Thanks if so. I'm still tinkering with my boxster and want to put in a lightweight flywheel next. As of right now my garage has a vehicle in it getting built that is completely different than a Porsche . 2000 Dakota with the 4.7 converted from manual to an auto. Dana 60 KP HP out of a F350 with a three link coilover suspension. Dana 70U out of a E350 van bus with stock springs and flipped shackles. Bobbed bed, rock sliders. Stock NP231 transfer case for now but planning on upgrading to a Jeep Rubicon NP241or or Atlas. Humvee double beadlock wheels with 38 inch super swampers. I plan on going rock crawling with it soon. I have so much time and $$ wasted on it. You don't get to say this very often about a Porsche, but the Porsche is a much better investment than a true offroad vehicle. I enjoy building it more than I'll probably enjoy the truck when it's done.

After the truck is done I plan on continuing with the 911 in the back ground. Mid engine 911 RSR clone with 650-700hp is the goal. I have most of the parts collected for it. just need the time.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #275

I was almost done anyway but it makes me sad that this thread was wiped clean by Photobucket. One last tidbit of info. I was at COTA today and got my boxster weighed by the official scale. 2876# in street trim, 2822# in race trim(unnecessary stuff removed, spare wheel, tool kit, that kind of stuff), and 2775 without fuel. I think with a lightweight flywheel and steering wheel that I can get below 2750#
Old 09-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #276

There's a few google Chrome plugins that can get around Photobucket's restriction - just google 'google chrome photobucket extension'.
Hopefully they work long enough for to get us through until Photobucket comes to their senses?
Old 09-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
There's a few google Chrome plugins that can get around Photobucket's restriction - just google 'google chrome photobucket extension'.
Hopefully they work long enough for to get us through until Photobucket comes to their senses?
Thanks! I guess it only works if you're using google chrome and not firefox or explorer?
Old 09-28-2017, 03:05 AM   #278

Yep, Chrome only.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:40 AM   #279

Decided to sell it to fund other racing ventures. $16,000 512-925-9171 if you're interested