Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2015, 05:07 AM   #21

Technically you only need to switch out the transponder inside the key, immobilizer under the seat and the DME in the trunk. For test purposes, I switch out the ignition cylinder because it only takes a few seconds. I've never had a chance to see if a tip DME will run in a manual car or vice versa. A 3.2 manual DME/im/key will work in a 2.7 manual for 2000-02. A 3.4 DME/im/key in a 3.2 car will only run for a few seconds and then die. I believe 2003-07 use the same DME, but they switched immobilizers in 05. I've only learned by taking these things apart and reading up on threads. I tell people all the time, "I'm an expert at taking them apart but not working on them". That's one of the reasons I started this thread. There will be points on this build where I'm over my head and will need some help from you guys. Mostly when it comes to the stereo and what engine I end up getting for it.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:48 PM   #22

I had one last thing to save off this before I put it over in the "buzzard yard". I thought it had the S M030 suspension. I don't have the hood anymore to confirm what I think I remember. It measures 24.0mm but so does every other S sway bar I measure. Even the sway bar on my S measures 24mm. My car didn't come with the M030 package from the factory. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a S sway bar and a S M030 sway bar besides measuring the diameter? The one I think is a S M030 has no part numbers and only has a green paint dot on it.

Got my radiators cleaned out and back on. Decided to throw a GT3 bumper and skirt on it to see how much prep work I would have to do to them. Surprisingly they fit pretty good and won't need much work before painting. They're duraflex brand or something like that. They're fiberglass ,but flex better than other fiberglass products I've had before. I'll use them if I don't come across a factory polyurethane kit before I paint.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 11-15-2015 at 07:57 PM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:39 AM   #23

That's gonna be a nice looking ride with all the added goodies!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:37 AM   #24

Concerning the sway bar -

I bought a 2002 Boxster S M030 front sway, which also has a green dot. I was hoping the mounting hardware would be different and lead to some clues, but it appears to be the same for non-M030.

I did find this on renntech, courtesy of Topless a few years ago:
(996-343-701-23 vs -21)
21= Base M030 (*and S non-M030 per Pelican parts*) 23.6mm 3.5mm
23= Box S M030 24.0mm 3.8mm

So it should be very slightly thicker, or maybe you'll see a slight weight difference if you have a very accurate scale...
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #25

Garage
Great project! I love Arena Red!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #26
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Woody, your car looks great even with no headlights and black bumper. That thing is gonna look bad ass when you get done
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #27

DAMN! The car is looking amazing with the bumper/skirts and those rims.
martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
That's gonna be a nice looking ride with all the added goodies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
Great project! I love Arena Red!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Woody, your car looks great even with no headlights and black bumper. That thing is gonna look bad ass when you get done
Quote:
Originally Posted by martsink View Post
DAMN! The car is looking amazing with the bumper/skirts and those rims.
Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Concerning the sway bar -

I bought a 2002 Boxster S M030 front sway, which also has a green dot. I was hoping the mounting hardware would be different and lead to some clues, but it appears to be the same for non-M030.

I did find this on renntech, courtesy of Topless a few years ago:
(996-343-701-23 vs -21)
21= Base M030 (*and S non-M030 per Pelican parts*) 23.6mm 3.5mm
23= Box S M030 24.0mm 3.8mm

So it should be very slightly thicker, or maybe you'll see a slight weight difference if you have a very accurate scale...
I plan on starting a thread one of these days about springs and sway bars. What I'm finding on these cars isn't coordinating with what books/internet is telling me should be on these cars.

Started on the interior today and first up was the easy stuff. I swapped the stock speakers with the Bose speakers. I really liked the Bose system and it's more than enough for me. Those days of 15 inch subs are long gone along with some of my hearing. Here's a pic of the stock HAES speakers next to the Bose. Some HAES speakers come with tweeters and some don't, but you cant tell the difference between any of them from the top side.

The door speakers interchange with no problems, but the sound insulation is different.

While I was there I also decided to switch out the window for some darker tint. The sun down here is brutal on interior.

I've been saving the 996 leather door panels for awhile now and I really prefer them over the 986 door panels. Both 996 door panels need to be reupholstered, so i'm going to keep the 986 panels on it for now.

This shifter was a great surprise to find on a car. There's no markings on it to track down what manufacture made it.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 11-19-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #29

Garage
Adustable track arms Pros/Cons? experiences?

Any thoughts on those adjustable arms? I am planning on rebuilding my suspension one of these days and have seen them. What are the Pros/Cons? I have no intention of racing or tracking the car. Also, I have my alignements done by a shop.

???

Last edited by mikesz; 11-20-2015 at 09:24 AM.
mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Any thoughts on those adjustable arms? I am planning on rebuilding my suspension one of these days and have seen them. What are the Pros/Cons? I have no intention of racing or tracking the car. Also, I have my alignements done by a shop.

???
It's funny you ask. A friend called me up after reading this thread warning me about those arms. He said his broke at the same place and suggested I drill and weld on the backside too. I can't remember if he said he switched them out or still uses them. They're on his SCCA Boxster S and get a workout being on his car. From what I could find out searching the interenet. They're made in china and sold by a few companies. I'm confident in my welding and the welds on the other end, but I wouldn't buy them new. I was told you need them if you lower your car and run coilovers.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #31

Adding to what Woody, commented above as the previous owner of his adjustable control arms, they're heavy compared to factory parts or performance versions from more reputable shops... but the price of the performance shops on these arms is pricey!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #32

Dang - who made these control arms? I'll be buying some (hopefully) soon, and would rather pony up to avoid a potential wreck...
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:37 AM   #33

Here's a link to GOOD QUALITY suspension parts...
986/987/981 Control Arms

The part that broke on Woody's bench was the thrust arm. Tarrett sells them for $350 each.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 11-21-2015 at 02:41 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:02 AM   #34

Garage
thanks for the info but pricey. I think I will stick to stock parts. I plan on putting bilstein HD and lowering springs on the car.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #35

Installed some 03-04 side vents on today. I wasn't sure how I would like the color difference before I did it, but I'm really digging the black vents now. I need to restore the wheels at some point and was thinking about powder coating them gloss black. I think going with gloss black wheels and vents will tie into the dark tinted windows and light tinted tail/side lights. I plan on going with projector headlights at some point. I can't decide if I should go body color, gloss black, or flat black for the headlights. Particlewave had a thread where he painted the insides of his. I need to go search up that thread again.

Vents can be finicky sometimes. Sometimes they slide right out and other times they can be a major PIA. The ones on my 00 were the hardest ones to ever get out. I destroyed the black plastic slats on the left side. I tried for 20 minutes to get it out without breaking it, but I got impatient. When you get impatient you break one of two things. Either the attaching fingers on the black plastic or the corner retainer on the painted part. Look at the bottom right corner of each vent. That holds the vent onto the body on the leading edge of the vent

Last edited by itsnotanova; 11-24-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #36

Garage
so what is the difference between the 1st gen and 03-04 side vents? they look like they sit more flush with the body?
Old 11-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Technically you only need to switch out the transponder inside the key, immobilizer under the seat and the DME in the trunk. For test purposes, I switch out the ignition cylinder because it only takes a few seconds. I've never had a chance to see if a tip DME will run in a manual car or vice versa. A 3.2 manual DME/im/key will work in a 2.7 manual for 2000-02. A 3.4 DME/im/key in a 3.2 car will only run for a few seconds and then die. I believe 2003-07 use the same DME, but they switched immobilizers in 05. I've only learned by taking these things apart and reading up on threads. I tell people all the time, "I'm an expert at taking them apart but not working on them". That's one of the reasons I started this thread. There will be points on this build where I'm over my head and will need some help from you guys. Mostly when it comes to the stereo and what engine I end up getting for it.
I think I forgot to say thank you for the reply - so thanks!
TrumpyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #38

Quote:
so what is the difference between the 1st gen and 03-04 side vents? they look like they sit more flush with the body?
The slats are molded into the vent on the 03-04 and stick about 3-4 inches farther out. The 97-02 slats are part of the black plastic part that holds the vent to the body.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:16 AM   #39

Garage
Thanks! I checked and saw pics. I have a set on order already. Cannot believe that is one mod I overlooked!
Old 11-25-2015, 03:56 AM   #40
Project Addicted

That nose looks quite a bit like the one we picked up. Haven't tried to paint it yet, Too damn cold already here in NY, 20 this morning....

1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote