Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #61

Woody, I have an '03 bumper mounted right onto my '97, I didnt notice anything odd.

Are there any differences for the front?

I put both on about 5 years ago and since I couldnt compare with an '03 I assumed it was fine

GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #62

There is a duck tail out there...I'll try and find a link for you tonight. The company making them was doing a limited run, but they were still for sale earlier this year.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #63

That guy is crazy wanting $650. I think you can get those brand new for less. It's been awhile since I've looked though. I only paid $100 for my whale tail off of CL last year. Maybe my modified wing will grow on me. The ducktail I'm looking for would be similar to the red wing on this boxster.
http://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/601664d1327413515-gt3-rs-wing-on-986-boxster-img_1666.jpg
But farther down on the trunk right where the factory spoiler would be and wrapped around the trunk. Much like the aero kit but ducktail instead. Seems easy enough?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20 View Post
Woody, I have an '03 bumper mounted right onto my '97, I didnt notice anything odd.

Are there any differences for the front?

I put both on about 5 years ago and since I couldnt compare with an '03 I assumed it was fine
I didn't notice there was a different on them until I went to put the 03 on. The 03/04 sits a little lower where it mounts behind the spoiler.
Don't think there's a difference on the front and how it mounts

Vlad, I really liked what you did with your door panels. I'm not sure about how you would disable the airbag without getting a code though?

Last edited by itsnotanova; 12-08-2015 at 06:53 PM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
That guy is crazy wanting $650. I think you can get those brand new for less. It's been awhile since I've looked though. I only paid $100 for my whale tail off of CL last year. Maybe my modified wing will grow on me. The ducktail I'm looking for would be similar to the red wing on this boxster.
http://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/601664d1327413515-gt3-rs-wing-on-986-boxster-img_1666.jpg
But farther down on the trunk right where the factory spoiler would be and wrapped around the trunk. Much like the aero kit but ducktail instead. Seems easy enough?!

I didn't notice there was a different on them until I went to put the 03 on. The 03/04 sits a little lower where it mounts behind the spoiler.

Vlad, I really liked what you did with your door panels. I'm not sure about how you would disable the airbag without getting a code though?
Yeah.... about that! I still have the airbags, but now they are in a box in my parents basement. If there's an airbag light, I think I just removed it from the dash. Do the airbags give you a code through OBD?
martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:43 AM   #65

Garage
I checked the company doing the ducktails is out of business. I guess a guy was doing it on the side and couldn't keep up so he sold the company to another doing it on the side and couldn't keep up. they were carbon fiber, a really nice wing too! but just found this one

http://www.panjo.com/buy/boxster-cayman-987-carbon-spoiler-ducktail-234989
Old 12-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #66
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
No guarantee, but from what I have read you can put a 3.3 Ohm (at least 1/4 watt) resistor in place of a deleted airbag. I haven't tried it, but search results are pretty consistent.
*let us know if it works on a test car without blowing anything up

No Radio Shack near me, but eBay & Amazon. BE SURE YOU BUY 3.3 NOT 3.3K
Old 12-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #67

Here's most of everything I took out. The insulation inside the engine bay came out in chunks and didn't make it into the picture. I weighed everything that I took out. The engine bay insulation and everything you see in the picture roughly weighs 75lbs. I couldn't weigh the insulation I took off the back of the interior carpets because of how I removed it. So what I did was I took my modified pieces and compared them to interior carpet that still had the foam attached. I removed 16.5lbs of foam for a grand total of 91.5 lbs lost.

I had hoped for more of a weight lost because I'm probably going to add most of that back. Those suspension pieces were probably twice as heavy as the factory ones and I still have an accusump to put on. The side airbags and stereo better not piss me off or they might get the guillotine too.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #68

That's a decent amount of weight. That's like adding about 8 hp plus the benefits to braking and handling.

I assume you aren't putting the A/C system into the car when you install the motor so factor in the weight from that too. How about the top? A tounneau cover in it's place for when she's parked could work.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #69

there's a lot of weight to be found in seats and wheels (and exhaust). check out the bimarco seats on ebay for inexpensive fia certified racing buckets.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #70

I have to keep the A/C. It's brutal down here in the summertime. I'll be searching for some seats on CL now though. I think I read somewhere that the seats are 60lbs each. After seeing how much I didn't lose, I think I want to go farther. I'm also thinking about changing my mind about the stereo. I was all gung ho about the stereo just a few hours ago but that would also be another way to lose easy weight. You guys also have me thinking about loosing the airbags too. Right now the deciding factor is if I can make some RSR looking door panels that look like something the factory would build. I think I can but need to go look back at Vlad's build for inspiration. Here's some weight of parts I weighed today.
Leather door panel=7.5lbs
door speaker with the big sound box=4.1
door airbag=2.7
stock muffler=33bs
Dansk muffler=30lbs
I've been holding onto the dansk for a long time but decided to get rid of it because it's not that much lighter or louder than the stock muffler.
I'm pretty sure I can make something lighter and there's all kind of room back there to experiment.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:22 AM   #71

Garage
I like e ducktail too but not for $650 and I don't like carbon fiber either. I put a ebay cheapo on mine for now. I replaced the 99 rear bumper with a 03-04 and put a 996 front bumper on.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #72

Well ditching the airbags and speakers in the doors has become closer to reality. Vlad's RS door panels has me inspired to try and build my own. I'll go into more detail later if I mount them. I practiced on a junk door and this was just an afternoon of me goofing around. They're a long way from being done. The door handle is from a 944 and it's actually the wrong side for the door. It's the left handle on a right door. The handle is just for mock-up and I will be using the correct handle when time comes. The correct handle would have the space to pull on top. I'll be painting the handle body color along with some other interior parts. I plan on wrapping the door panel in leather, but I can't decide if I should add something. I'm thinking about adding some padding to the area about that line. Still not sure what I want yet
Old 12-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Well ditching the airbags and speakers in the doors has become closer to reality. Vlad's RS door panels has me inspired to try and build my own. I'll go into more detail later if I mount them. I practiced on a junk door and this was just an afternoon of me goofing around. They're a long way from being done. The door handle is from a 944 and it's actually the wrong side for the door. It's the left handle on a right door. The handle is just for mock-up and I will be using the correct handle when time comes. The correct handle would have the space to pull on top. I'll be painting the handle body color along with some other interior parts. I plan on wrapping the door panel in leather, but I can't decide if I should add something. I'm thinking about adding some padding to the area about that line. Still not sure what I want yet
I see you've made some progress on this. What did you do about the top part that protrudes? Did you cut it out and weld in a flat seet?

I just found a better pic of the door card on my phone. Like I mentioned, the top trim still needs some work.

martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #74

[QUOTE=martsink;476525]I see you've made some progress on this. What did you do about the top part that protrudes? Did you cut it out and weld in a flat seet?
QUOTE]

On the door in the pic, I took a hammer to that area that sticks out on top and beat it down like a caveman. That door is junk. I'm thinking on the good door, I'll make a cut across the high spot, hammer it down so the two pieces kind of fold down on themselves and then lap weld that part of the door. I might have another door to test that theory on. Where did you get the strap for your door? A proper RS door should have a strap but the 944 handle fits perfectly. I'm on the fence between the two.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #75

so much easy:

Genuine Porsche 986 Boxster Black Vinyl Interior Door Cards - Pair Of | eBay

and, if you want

Black Leather 2X Door Card Trim Skin Covers Fits Porsche 986 Boxster 96 04 | eBay
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #76

I gave up on the idea of RS door panels. I like the concept but changed my mind when I sat in the passenger seat. The factory door panel is very comfortable to hold on to during spirited driving and matches the style of the car better than anything I could make. I still plan on switching to 996 panel some day though.

This is the time of the year where we get to brag about the weather down here in Texas. It was in the upper 60's lower 70"s and perfect weather for painting. We had some rain last night that kept the dust down too. I saw the forecast a few days ago and got ready for today. It was a long time coming but it felt great to get these parts painted.

I was really nervous about the color not matching but the new paint is identical to the old in the shade. I still need to see both in direct sun light before I make a final judgment. In the pic they look a little different, but they're the same. I'm really happy how the roll bar turned out. I usually don't care about something so small as how a weld looks, but the factory welds looked sloppy to me. I'll be shocked if someone ever notices it. Heck, I'd probably walk past a boxster and not even notice if someone smoothed out the welds. I have a lot going on this weekend but I should be getting the interior back in soon'

Old 01-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #77

Looks great! I have so much envy for your workspace...
Old 01-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #78

The painted parts look awesome! I hear that painting is pretty fun too...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
I checked the company doing the ducktails is out of business. I guess a guy was doing it on the side and couldn't keep up so he sold the company to another doing it on the side and couldn't keep up. they were carbon fiber, a really nice wing too! but just found this one

For Sale Boxster/Cayman 987 carbon spoiler ducktail | Panjo
Suncoast has some 981 ducktails for sale with a warning that they are for street driving only and not for ultra high speed driving due to aero changes. It did look really good though.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
Looks great! I have so much envy for your workspace...
Thanks, but shop space is like horsepower. You never have enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
The painted parts look awesome! I hear that painting is pretty fun too...
It's awesome when everything goes right!

The paint isn't a 100% match,but I can live with it for awhile. More pics.