Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

View Poll Results: What's Your Thoughts?
Like it 96 100.00%
Hate it 0 0%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #61

can't find it on ebay

can you post a link to were i can find your product on ebay?

amke28m30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:28 AM   #62

You can alway find it on Ebay if you do a search for "porsche double din".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320250813019&ssPa geName=STRK:MESE:IT
trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #63

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I did the install last year but I put in Tri's faceplate, bracket, and heat shield in March. Here are the pics. The quality is awesome. Nice job with the kit, Tri.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #64
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Chills,

The install and car in general looks great! Seeing yours, Trieullionaire's and others Avic set-ups makes me want to attempt my own install. Especially with Tri's kit available.

Did you attempt to install the Nav. antenna out of view? I've read it can be installed under the alarm module, but looks like it would be a tight fit based on your pictures. Obviously it works better exposed.

Are you running the standard OE 4-channel amplifier?

Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #65

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Chills,

The install and car in general looks great! Seeing yours, Trieullionaire's and others Avic set-ups makes me want to attempt my own install. Especially with Tri's kit available.

Did you attempt to install the Nav. antenna out of view? I've read it can be installed under the alarm module, but looks like it would be a tight fit based on your pictures. Obviously it works better exposed.

Are you running the standard OE 4-channel amplifier?

Thanks,

ddb
Thanks ddb. I thought about trying to hide the antenna, but I didn't want to mess with the great reception I get on the dash. Plus I barely notice its there.

I have the Bose upgrade in the car and I kept the stock amp and speakers. The sound is much improved over the stock Becker HU.

With Tri's kit the install will be a snap. I didn't have his kit and I was able to do the install... and I had never done one before.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #66

DIY Camera Set Up

Had a question from Renntech, so thought I post it here too!

Step "Prestep". Raise your Spoiler, Open the trunk, and Put Your Convertible Top in Service Position
Step 1. The License Plate
a. Remove your license plate, should be a hole behind there thats about an inch in diameter or slightly bigger
b. Take the detachable wires that came with your camera and loop it from the corner of the spoiler down to the hole behind the license plate. I used a clothes hanger and taped the tip of those wires which is the plugin jack and pushed it through until I could see it located at the hole. Then I plugged in the camera.
Step 2. The Trunk
a. There is a bolt at the top left corner of the spoiler which I used for the ground wire. Ground it there, 1 less wire you have to route to the front of your car.
b. Route the remaining wires (should be the video rca cable and the positive wire to power your camera) along the outside of the trunk space. Hide it under the rubber gasket which lines the perimeter of the trunk.
Step 3. The Circular Rubber Gasket
a. Remove the rubber gasket located at the top left hand corner of your rear trunk hood.
b. Pierce a hole through it and pull your wires through it.
Step 4. Above the Engine Compartment
a. Now you should be on the engine compartment side
b. Route the wires along the side of the engine and avoid routing wires in areas where your wires may get pinched from the moving parts of the convertible top.
Step 5. The Door Area
a. Tuck your wires underneath the rubber lining that runs around the area where the door is located
Step 6.
a. Bring Video RCA plug to Avic
b. Plug in Positive wire to an available fuse

Attached are the pictures of the steps.

Last edited by trieullionaire; 06-08-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #67

GPS Antenna

Here is another option for anyone looking for options. I put my GPS antenna on the outside of the windshield. And then tucked the wires underneath the rubber seal, tuck it in far enough, the wire should sit in there perfectly and should be unnoticeable.

I have a couple pics here. 1 pic is of where I have it seated and the other pic shows how I routed in the door hinge area.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #68

I'm not sure how well this will work in the long run but I stuck my GPS antenna under the plastic cover that goes around the windshield wipers (big long plastic gray piece).

I removed the cabin air filter cover and slid the GPS antenna under the plastic cover for the wipers. It stuck to some metal and it appears to be working in the garage so I may try leaving it there for a while. The only thing blocking the GPS signal is the plastic piece and it appears to go through it ok.

I wanted a stealth look.

-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #69

For the guys that wanted to replace the stock amp, I posted some wiring information on the thread below. I'm running the Avic D3 with a cheap amp (Pyramid Artic PB1617X for $65 on ebay) to drive the dash and door subs and it rocks! I get so many comments on how cool the D3 looks and sounds! Thanks Trieu for an awesome kit!

Spend the money, it's a Porsche!

Subwoofer?
Pyramid 4 channel amp
Old 06-25-2008, 05:38 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowndad
I'm not sure how well this will work in the long run but I stuck my GPS antenna under the plastic cover that goes around the windshield wipers (big long plastic gray piece).

I removed the cabin air filter cover and slid the GPS antenna under the plastic cover for the wipers. It stuck to some metal and it appears to be working in the garage so I may try leaving it there for a while. The only thing blocking the GPS signal is the plastic piece and it appears to go through it ok.

I wanted a stealth look.

-Steve
Steve,

Good idea

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #71

work for the 996?

True (spelling?),

I think I know the answer to my question is "yes" but I wanted to ask to make sure. I have a friend that has a 1999 911 (996), does the kit and installation process work for the 996?

Thanks,

-Steve
Pyramid 4 channel amp
Old 07-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #72

http://cgi.ebay.com/97-04-Porsche-996-986-Universal-Double-Din-Kit-New_W0QQitemZ320273597184QQihZ011QQcategoryZ85806Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone know if you can put an aftermarket GPS antenna where this guy puts his (where the alarm light/sensor is near the windshield):

http://www.pcars.us/about3403.html

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg

Last edited by fragdude; 07-14-2008 at 06:59 PM.
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #73

Got it - that's what I thought!

Thanks,
-Steve
Pyramid 4 channel amp
Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowndad
True (spelling?),

I think I know the answer to my question is "yes" but I wanted to ask to make sure. I have a friend that has a 1999 911 (996), does the kit and installation process work for the 996?

Thanks,

-Steve
Yes, the kit will work.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #75

Hi, Fragdude, I just installed the GPS aqntenna under the alarm light. I find it easy to do. Some are saying that it is difficult to pop out the plastic cover... mine was really easy. I then cut the plastic surounding the light to have the wire passing. Then I passed the wire directly from there to the radio. Was easy and great looking. do not hesitate to contact me if any question. i just installed the D3 with the same kit.
quebecduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #76

Thanks for the answer!

That seems to be where the stock antenna goes. I'm not gonna be doing it anytime soon (I can think if a better way to spend a grand right now!), but if/when I do and I have questions I will

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:17 AM   #77

If you're looking for a kit

Just type in "Porsche double din kit" on Ebay's search field & you should be able to find us (or email us at cvt929@yahoo.com for more information).

Best Wishes,
Trieullionaire
Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #78
Bry

Beautiful install! I picked up the 'universal' dash kit a few weeks back on eBay in anticipation of emulating this setup, and just picked up a Kenwood DNX-8120. Is there anything else I will need before I get started?
I found the upper storage slot on Suncoast's website (I am removing the useless CD holder, and it appears the lower storage bin is not shaped correctly to be moved up), but where do I find the trim for A/C to go into the lowest slot? I'd prefer not to cut my stock trim in case I ever want to go back to stock.

I'll post pics of the install once I get started.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:05 AM   #79

Bry

Hey Bry,

You can get the trim piece for the lower ac trim from our Ebay store, stores.ebay.com/Euromotorspeed. Shoot an email over to cvt929@yahoo.com, we do offer discounts to 986forum members. The link below takes you directly to the item if you want to see what it looks like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT &viewitem=&item=220263665393&rd=1
Old 09-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #80
Bry

Anybody watching the boards today? I'm sooo close to finishing this project, but ran into a snag.
I've got my Kenwood DNX-8120 ready to mount up in the dash... but when I fired it up to test, everything works except sound. I hear absolutely nothing, from any input.
I planned to use the stock amplifier and I've followed the instructions for the AVIC install to a tee so currently I have the front and rear preouts wired to connector A.
I initially didn't have the MUTE line grounded, but do now and still hear nothing. There's still a labeled wire in the Kenwood's bundle called EXT CONT that isn't attached to anything... Should it be? what's it do??

- TIA & FINISHED PICS TO COME VERY SOON, I HOPE! -

Bry is offline   Reply With Quote