View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
trieullionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
That looks really good. I like your faceplate.

I installed an AVIC-D3 in my '02 BoxS last April. I ended up putting it low in the dash because of the weight.

I have a few questions for you:

How did you make the custom brackets?

What exactly did you use to make your faceplate? I must say it looks much better than mine. I used stretched black vinyl over fiberboard.

Did you install the BT and iPod adapters? I did and the Avic works great with an iPhone.
I did install the Ipod cable and have it routed to the lower storage compartment. Drilled a whole in the back of the storage unit and then slotted out a small circle to pull the cable through. As for the BT adapter, maybe down the road. I am leaning towards it though considering thats another upgrade that will add some modern amenities to the car.

In reference to the support bracket, I had it engineered based on existing mounting points on the boxster. My goal was to make sure the brackets fit tightly with the least amount of modification to the car as possible and that it would provide firm support for the back of the navigation system. The double din housing is strong enough to hold your navi upright if its not stressed but is limited in support especially over time, so the support bracket really helps keep the system from eventually sagging and loosening.

The faceplate is 3/16 thick plastic. But I had it designed to fit very snug to the system and the dash. It's a very tight fit once pushed in place, you would need to remove the left or right side covers to pull the fascia out once it is in.

Last edited by trieullionaire; 03-18-2008 at 07:26 PM.
trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote