View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
trieullionaire

Smile Recent Install - DVD Navigation

I recently installed the Avic D3 Navigation with rear view camera in my 2000 Boxster. Still have a few interior upgrades to do but the navigation system install was a success and really made the interior look phenomenal and updated.

What was needed for the job:

T20 Torx Screwdriver
Phillips Screwdriver
A dremel with cutting wheel
A file to sand down rough edges
Electrical tape & Wiring Caps
Wire Stripper

Double Din Kit Includes:

Precision cut fascia (trim) piece in Piano Finish to match Pioneer System
Double Din Housing & Brackets
Double Din Custom Support Bracket for Porsche
Heat Shield, Complete Wiring Harnesses, Antenna Adapter & Radio Removal Keys

Some of the things I really like about my new system is that I know that the install is solid. One of the challenges I noticed other folks had was the weight of the system, and so they elected to have it sit low as possible on the dash. Using the custom support bracket to support the back end of the navigation, and also choosing to mount the double din housing as high up as possible, I was able to keep most of the gap below the system as oppose to the top. And to make sure my stereo stays relatively unaffected by the heat from the climate duct system, I installed a heat shield between the duct and navigation.

The other challenge was that most standard double din navigation systems are a lot smaller than the size of my boxster's opening, so regardless of what I install it was going to make the system appear smaller. Didn't like that look too much, so instead of trying to match up the fascia piece to my car, I went with the piano black fascia piece instead to match it up to the Pioneer system. I think going this route made the fascia piece look like its part of the stereo which gives the illusion that the system is a bit bigger.

Anyways, I posted some of the pics below for everyone to check out!

Last edited by trieullionaire; 03-18-2008 at 03:46 PM.
trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote