Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Painted console.

I painted my center console on my Red 2000 'S', don't think I was suppose to paint the back part though...but that part is generally hidden by the seats anyway. Ashtray was still drying.

Attached Images

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
JTP

That looks nice. What did you do to prep the surface for paint? What kind of paint, and did you clear coat it too?
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
You are going to laugh, I likely totally did this wrong. There are paints and paint primers specifically for plastic and vinyl, but I didn't use them. I used some old spray primer I had for metal, then used the VHT brake caliper paint...it is the closest match to the Guards Red and I just love the spray nozzle on them, comes out fine and dries very fast. I did find a site that sells my actual red color but figured what the heck, if it peels off in hot weather then I'll just get a new console from a junk yard and do it right. I did use a clear grill paint to give it a hard nice shine. Given enough time it dried really hard, still some lingering smell but that is fading. It was fun and looks really nice in the car. Painting plastic is real tricky, have to do several light coats and sand so that you can put it on heavier to get a shine.
I want to do my little back bumpers...but that I will order the correct stuff and exact match.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote