View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
Chills

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by trieullionaire
I did install the Ipod cable and have it routed to the lower storage compartment. Drilled a whole in the back of the storage unit and then slotted out a small circle to pull the cable through. As for the BT adapter, maybe down the road. I am leaning towards it though considering thats another upgrade that will add some modern amenities to the car.

In reference to the support bracket, I had it engineered based on existing mounting points on the boxster. My goal was to make sure the brackets fit tightly with the least amount of modification to the car as possible and that it would provide firm support for the back of the navigation system. The double din housing is strong enough to hold your navi upright if its not stressed but is limited in support especially over time, so the support bracket really helps keep the system from eventually sagging and loosening.

The faceplate is 3/16 thick plastic. But I had it designed to fit very snug to the system and the dash. It's a very tight fit once pushed in place, you would need to remove the left or right side covers to pull the fascia out once it is in.

I put my iPod cable in the same spot, but I didn't drill a hole. The cable actually fits between the lid and the compartment under the hinge.

My whole thing with the install is I wanted to be able to put it back to stock when I sold the car.

Did you design the support brackets yourself? I'm very impressed. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the brackets, would you? I made some crude brackets to keep my AVIC in place while sitting on the bottom plate in the dash. I would like the unit to sit centered like yours is.

Again, you did a great job. The best AVIC install I've seen.

BTW, you don't happen to have the reverse cam, do you? My unit came with one and while I've installed it I haven't mounted it anywhere. I can't find a decent place to mount it in the rear of the car.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote