Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
Who's askin'?

Who is using the 987 MAF Holder / Tube?

All:
I posted this question, but realized I sorta had it buried in a thread about engine fault codes. So I'm bringing it front-n-center.

Among y'all who've gone to a larger TB and used the 987 airbox, are any of you using the 987 MAF Holder / Tube with success?

I'm getting codes P1126 and P1133 which suggest lean condition on both banks. (IIUC)

I know that many people are using the 986 MAF holder, but that didn't really make sense to me, to neck back down that way. It seemed to negate all the work to get the bigger diameter in there int he first place. y'know?

Waddy'all know?

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #2

Garage
I have the 987 MAF & airbox
Old 03-19-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I have the 987 MAF & airbox
In the 987 maf holder? Any issues with adaptation? Lean codes? Special tune?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #4

I run it with a softronic tune. Runs a touch rich, but no issues or codes.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:45 AM   #5

My memory is a little blurry, but I have a 3.4 with the 987 air box and maf holder. I think I had problems with the maf sensor and had to switch it. I can't remember what sensor I had but I do remember having to use a different one. Either I had a 987 sensor and switched to a 996 or vice versa.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:47 AM   #6
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I am using the airbox, maf holder and maf . It does require a tune. I think that I discussed this in my YouTube series on 987 air intake mods.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #7

Garage
I guess it's obvious that the problem is that the ECU does calculate airflow based on the diameter/area of the 986-tube. So without a spec tune it will go lean. Anyone know what electric signal is coming from the MAF? Can it easily be modded, eg via an arduino or something simpler?
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #8
Who's askin'?

Thanks to all of you who've responded. this is helpful.

I've tried, unsuccessfully, to find a dealer who would flash the anniversary edition tune to my car, knowing that this would accommodate the larger MAF holder. The tune that I got from Vivid (VRTuning) ignores the o2 sensors, so it doesn't work to get me past the IM station.

I may determine that, as much as it's a PITA, it may be most simple to swap back in the 986 maf holder for IM testing, and then swap it back out.

(spare me the "save-the-earth" lectures.... look up what "lean condition" means)
Old 03-20-2020, 01:28 PM   #9

No just flash with the 996 ROW tune! Try an independent equiped with the PWIS (ooooh did I get the acronym wrong?). This tune will match the 987 MAF housing diameter. You will need the right iteration sensor. It will be the for the 987.1 IIRC. I am sure others here will follow up more details that I have omitted
Old 03-21-2020, 06:36 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
No just flash with the 996 ROW tune! Try an independent equiped with the PWIS (ooooh did I get the acronym wrong?). This tune will match the 987 MAF housing diameter. You will need the right iteration sensor. It will be the for the 987.1 IIRC. I am sure others here will follow up more details that I have omitted
Any reason why the 996 row would be preferred over the anniversary?
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #11

you can't increase the diameter of the maf housing without adjusting fueling tables. MAF calculates the volume of air ingested using the velocity of the air past the sensor, which of course is a function of the size of the tube it's flowing through. The codes you are getting are generated in regular driving where the O2 sensors read lean/rich. At wide open throttle where the ECU is running on set tables (and not off of O2 sensor feedback), you will be running lean (increased airflow not accounted for because of incorrect maf housing size). Lean is mean, until it's not. Without monitoring this with a wideband O2 and updating to a custom tune you are asking for trouble, especially on track. What is you crazy
1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:20 AM   #12

Robert,

Perhaps slightly better performance and the proper match for the 987 MAF diameter; folks here are actively using it. Full disclosure: I have just changed from a third party tune to the stock 986S and planned to go to the 996 ROW. I am not sure about the anniversary tune and don't know anyone using it. I believe the anniversary is geared to the 68mm TB where as the 996 is geared to the 74mm.

You will: be able to start the car without depressing the clutch, reducing engine wear;
not have to worry about post cat o2 sensors/codes; loose the ability to monitor one cam shaft for deviation from ideal.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Thanks to all of you who've responded. this is helpful.

I've tried, unsuccessfully, to find a dealer who would flash the anniversary edition tune to my car, knowing that this would accommodate the larger MAF holder. The tune that I got from Vivid (VRTuning) ignores the o2 sensors, so it doesn't work to get me past the IM station.

I may determine that, as much as it's a PITA, it may be most simple to swap back in the 986 maf holder for IM testing, and then swap it back out.

(spare me the "save-the-earth" lectures.... look up what "lean condition" means)
Seems you are always trying to insulate yourself pre-need from jerks yet you have no issue doing the same to anyone else.

I reprogramed my DME with my PST-2
Old 03-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #14
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Seems you are always trying to insulate yourself pre-need from jerks yet you have no issue doing the same to anyone else.

I reprogramed my DME with my PST-2
I know it's quoted.... but im'a do my best to salvage the energy I spent on this. ::sigh::

Last edited by maytag; 03-21-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #15
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
you can't increase the diameter of the maf housing without adjusting fueling tables. MAF calculates the volume of air ingested using the velocity of the air past the sensor, which of course is a function of the size of the tube it's flowing through. The codes you are getting are generated in regular driving where the O2 sensors read lean/rich. At wide open throttle where the ECU is running on set tables (and not off of O2 sensor feedback), you will be running lean (increased airflow not accounted for because of incorrect maf housing size). Lean is mean, until it's not. Without monitoring this with a wideband O2 and updating to a custom tune you are asking for trouble, especially on track. What is you crazy
All makes perfect sense. I wasnt aware that at full throttle it was a closed-loop, either. Good stuff.

So, do YOU know anyone local who'd flash me to a 996 ROW?

Old 03-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Oh for hell's sake byp, doesn't matter HOW reasonable somebody is with you, you're going to continue to be the ass-hole cry baby, aren't ya? For Pete's sake man, grow up.
You're such a douchebag.

I've been hands off with you because you're so easily triggered, but when you volunteered into my thread, I thought "huh.... ok! Maybe he's finally letting it go!" So I simply responded to you as if you'd never been the dick-head you've been.

But it seems you just can't help yourself, can ya? Most people are a dick sometimes, some people are a dick most of the time. But you? It seems you're one of the rare breed who's a dick all the time.

I'm not going to descend to a place where i'd engage the actual content of your comment, because I refuse to legitimize it.

I'd appreciate it if we could go back to just ignoring each other?

This is a bit of a wakeup call.

It's not somebody it's you! I seemed to be ok the last 13 years I have been on here!
Old 03-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #17
Who's askin'?

Last edited by maytag; 03-21-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #18
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Robert,

Perhaps slightly better performance and the proper match for the 987 MAF diameter; folks here are actively using it. Full disclosure: I have just changed from a third party tune to the stock 986S and planned to go to the 996 ROW. I am not sure about the anniversary tune and don't know anyone using it. I believe the anniversary is geared to the 68mm TB where as the 996 is geared to the 74mm.

You will: be able to start the car without depressing the clutch, reducing engine wear;

not have to worry about post cat o2 sensors/codes; loose the ability to monitor one cam shaft for deviation from ideal.
If it's no longer monitoring the post-cat O2 sensors, does that interfere with the IM testing? In my state (Utah) it's a plug- in test, not a sniff up the exhaust pipe.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
I run it with a softronic tune. Runs a touch rich, but no issues or codes.
I'm running the same configuration. Same success no codes slightly rich.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:17 PM   #20
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I'm running the same configuration. Same success no codes slightly rich.
Y'all running the softronic: that passes your local emissions? Or are these track cars?