Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
Artist, 986S tinkerer

New m96: re-using old peripherals

So with my new engine arriving soon, I need to consider which elements I can swap over from my exploded motor. Obviously, I will be reusing things like power steering pump and alternator, but I need to think about which smaller parts I can use. For instance, that long aos accordion hose that is almost new that runs over top of the engine. What would be the best way to assure that there is no remaining debris inside. And what about the oil cooler? I know that I can just buy everything new, but I would like to be economical.
As usual, I will be documenting the swap, so watch for it on my YouTube channel!

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #2

I rebuild my m96 due to either stretched rod bolt or oil starvation. I basically seized 1 rod on the crank. When I rebuilt my motor I re-used the oil cooler. When I did my inital startup and run for 25 miles the oil came out with a bit of sparkle in it. I thought I was totally out of luck with the rebuild. I had 3 mechanics tell me I took a huge chance as there can be debris in the oil cooler. Due to the sparkles I ran a 50 mile oil change and it came out 99.9% clean with just some minor stuff in the filter (some looked like the case sealant). My 1000 mile oil change was completely clear, including cutting the filter open for inspection. Just drove it today with over 2100 miles, so all seems good.

My advise - all it would have taken would have been 1 of those small pieces to block an oil channel and boom, again. Replace the oil cooler! I got lucky.
since95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #3

For what it's worth with my rebuild the shop bought and installed a brand new oil cooler-they said there was no way to be sure all of the debris would be flushed out of the old oil cooler. Same thing internally with the lifters, but you only need to deal with the external accessories.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I noticed that there was a number of after market oil coolers available. Assuming that the size and fitment is the same, is there any reason to go with oem?
Old 02-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #5

Garage
Just take it to a good radiator shop & have them clean & pressure check it.

I have a good extra one I'll sell if needed.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
I noticed that there was a number of after market oil coolers available. Assuming that the size and fitment is the same, is there any reason to go with oem?
The oem is so good it's patented by Hans Mezger!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Just take it to a good radiator shop & have them clean & pressure check it.

I have a good extra one I'll sell if needed.
Now that’s a great tip! Thank you.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

I have rebuilt or swapped engines 5 times.

I keep the alternator, power steering pump, starter motor, idler pulleys, SAI pump (and a/c) unless there is a specific problem or concern. Check the bearings for noise or rough feel and replace as needed.

I replace the water pump, t-stat, AOS, and oil cooler.

If the fuel injectors haven't been professionally cleaned and calibrated, now is the time to do so.

Flush the cooling system.

Inspect all of the vacuum lines and the AOS line that snakes across the top of the engine. Replace anything that looks or feels suspect.

New plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil/oil filter, etc.

The car should be reliable for quite some time.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I have rebuilt or swapped engines 5 times.

I keep the alternator, power steering pump, starter motor, idler pulleys, SAI pump (and a/c) unless there is a specific problem or concern. Check the bearings for noise or rough feel and replace as needed.

I replace the water pump, t-stat, AOS, and oil cooler.

If the fuel injectors haven't been professionally cleaned and calibrated, now is the time to do so.

Flush the cooling system.

Inspect all of the vacuum lines and the AOS line that snakes across the top of the engine. Replace anything that looks or feels suspect.

New plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil/oil filter, etc.

The car should be reliable for quite some time.
Thanks for the overview Tom! I have a new set of injectors from Bosch. I assume calibration should not be necessary?
Old 02-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
I have a new set of injectors from Bosch. I assume calibration should not be necessary?
Correct, new injectors should be ready for immediate installation!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #11
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I’ve now pulled off all of the ancillary items from the block. Actually, it’s pretty obvious what should and what shouldn’t be reused. If you look inside the oil cooler, for instance, you can see that it is made up of a stack of waffles. Danger could be lurking in every corner! I will be replacing this part.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
I’ve now pulled off all of the ancillary items from the block. Actually, it’s pretty obvious what should and what shouldn’t be reused. If you look inside the oil cooler, for instance, you can see that it is made up of a stack of waffles. Danger could be lurking in every corner! I will be replacing this part.
FWIW down here my shop charged me less than $200 for a new oil cooler. I hope it is the same for you up there! They also told me that the one on the 3.2 S is the same size as what is used on the 3.6 996. I thought maybe I should have a bigger one if it would fit with my stock intake manifold, since my displacement increased, and they said the stock one I had is the biggest there is from Porsche.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
FWIW down here my shop charged me less than $200 for a new oil cooler. I hope it is the same for you up there! They also told me that the one on the 3.2 S is the same size as what is used on the 3.6 996. I thought maybe I should have a bigger one if it would fit with my stock intake manifold, since my displacement increased, and they said the stock one I had is the biggest there is from Porsche.
997 is bigger and fits.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
997 is bigger and fits.
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #15

TRK- please clarify further, as I would like to make this upgrade in the wake of my water pump total implosion, but the parts diagrams have me confused.

As best as I can tell, oil cooler 99610702557 is listed as correct for both the 986S 3.2 liter engine and the 997 3.6 liter version of the 911. So this 997 version is no different and no upgrade.

But it shows oil cooler part 99710702500 for the 3.8 liter 997S. So I presume this is the part you are referring to as being larger but still fitting under the 986S intake? If so, any idea if it will also fit under the 987 intake found on the 2004 Boxster SE or under a slightler larger intake such as the one currently being made by forum member Ben from France?

To further confuse me, the PET catalog seems to show 28mm O rings x 2 and 35mm O rings x2 to install either oil cooler in a 997/997S, while showing 26mm O rings x2 and 35mm Orings x4 TO INSTALL THE EXACT SAME (first) PART 99610702557 on a 986S, which does not make sense to me. It seems that if the same part fits both engines, then the O rings should be the same size (and number).

If you or any other forum member could shed a little light on this I would much appreciate it. I'd like to have the correct parts on hand so that I can move directly from garden hose flush of impeller bits to reassembly and distilled water flush then coolant flush without time for minerals to precipitate from the garden hose flush.

Also, when lifting the oil cooler off the engine, how does one keep the residual water out of the oil ports, and vice versa, since they are all on the bottom of the oil cooler?

Thanks in advance.

BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote