View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #15
BrokenLinkage

TRK- please clarify further, as I would like to make this upgrade in the wake of my water pump total implosion, but the parts diagrams have me confused.

As best as I can tell, oil cooler 99610702557 is listed as correct for both the 986S 3.2 liter engine and the 997 3.6 liter version of the 911. So this 997 version is no different and no upgrade.

But it shows oil cooler part 99710702500 for the 3.8 liter 997S. So I presume this is the part you are referring to as being larger but still fitting under the 986S intake? If so, any idea if it will also fit under the 987 intake found on the 2004 Boxster SE or under a slightler larger intake such as the one currently being made by forum member Ben from France?

To further confuse me, the PET catalog seems to show 28mm O rings x 2 and 35mm O rings x2 to install either oil cooler in a 997/997S, while showing 26mm O rings x2 and 35mm Orings x4 TO INSTALL THE EXACT SAME (first) PART 99610702557 on a 986S, which does not make sense to me. It seems that if the same part fits both engines, then the O rings should be the same size (and number).

If you or any other forum member could shed a little light on this I would much appreciate it. I'd like to have the correct parts on hand so that I can move directly from garden hose flush of impeller bits to reassembly and distilled water flush then coolant flush without time for minerals to precipitate from the garden hose flush.

Also, when lifting the oil cooler off the engine, how does one keep the residual water out of the oil ports, and vice versa, since they are all on the bottom of the oil cooler?

Thanks in advance.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote