Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,334
Garage
Odd problem, simple solution

A couple of weeks a go, I went to go for a drive, started her up and she was running rough. A few seconds later, the CEL popped on. Now I know I have a bad cat, so that's not so unusual, the rough idle was.

Connected my OBD2 adapter and it was throwing a CYL 5 misfire code. Shut it down and since I have 92k on the clock and had a cyl 3 missfire about a year ago, I figured it was a coil pack going bad. I ordered a new one online and went to put it in last night and when I check the coil pack, both bolts were missing! It was also loose.

Pushed it in, found a pair of bolts from the last one I replaced and guess what??? Runs just like it is supposed to.

Now I have a spare coil pack for my track box right next to my spare ABS sensor
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: dedham ,ma
Posts: 56
So who installed the pac that became loose? LOL-don't answer. Tom
tlc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,334
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc356 View Post
So who installed the pac that became loose? LOL-don't answer. Tom
some German named Hans

Factory install
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
some German named Hans

Factory install
Jay, I think that Tom is asking who most recently replaced the spark plugs. That would have probably been the last time that the coil pack bolts were removed and re-installed. Whoever did the work might have forgot to torque them.

Glad that it was an easy fix.
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-05-2017 at 10:37 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
Artist, 986S tinkerer
 
NewArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,569
I remember one time I had a similar situation with the inner axle flange bolts. I had changed the boots and after a few weeks the bolts loosened off. Fortunately, I caught it in time! Perhaps a few drops of blue loctite would help?
__________________
James
2004 986 S
987 air intake TB and plenum, Mantissport 2 litre sump, UDP, Bilstein B6 with H&R lowering spings, re71-rs for track, other stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/12shoes2
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
I remember one time I had a similar situation with the inner axle flange bolts. I had changed the boots and after a few weeks the bolts loosened off. Fortunately, I caught it in time! Perhaps a few drops of blue loctite would help?
I think you are supposed to re-torque axle bolts after 500 miles, if I recall.
__________________
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Benís short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, daily driven shine or snow.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 5,953
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
I think you are supposed to re-torque axle bolts after 500 miles, if I recall.
That would be counterproductive as it would break the thread locker that you should have applied.
Re-torquing the axle flange bolts is not recommended.

I've read of these breaking loose after removal/installation (in one case even breaking the transmission mount point off of the trans case), so was wary when I did my clutch. I used blue thread locker and a touch of clear red enamel on the head of the bolts (a blob that was on the side of the head and the mating surface) so I could check periodically to see if they broke loose. That was a year ago and none ever did.
particlewave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #8
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,334
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Jay, I think that Tom is asking who most recently replaced the spark plugs. That would have probably been the last time that the coil pack bolts were removed and re-installed. Whoever did the work might have forgot to torque them.

Glad that it was an easy fix.
haha I was being a little funny with my Hans comment.

In thinking about it, I had the plugs replaced almost 4 years ago, shortly after I bought the car. It was before I really started to wrench the car myself and the guy who did the plug replacement is an Uber-Mechanic for Porsche cars. He is the type that can rebuild your motor without looking in the book for clearances and torque settings.

I guess a couple of years of tracking and AX loosened them up. I going to check them all this weekend to double check tightness
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 608
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
That would be counterproductive as it would break the thread locker that you should have applied.
Re-torquing the axle flange bolts is not recommended.

I've read of these breaking loose after removal/installation (in one case even breaking the transmission mount point off of the trans case), so was wary when I did my clutch. I used blue thread locker and a touch of clear red enamel on the head of the bolts (a blob that was on the side of the head and the mating surface) so I could check periodically to see if they broke loose. That was a year ago and none ever did.
Nice idea on the paint blob.
__________________
"YouTube Certified in Various Specialties"
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #10
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,272
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
I think you are supposed to re-torque axle bolts after 500 miles, if I recall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
That would be counterproductive as it would break the thread locker that you should have applied.
Re-torquing the axle flange bolts is not recommended.

I've read of these breaking loose after removal/installation (in one case even breaking the transmission mount point off of the trans case), so was wary when I did my clutch. I used blue thread locker and a touch of clear red enamel on the head of the bolts (a blob that was on the side of the head and the mating surface) so I could check periodically to see if they broke loose. That was a year ago and none ever did.
If the axle bolts were installed correctly then there is no reason to not recheck torque, especially for the first time DIY'er. As long as you check to the original torque value there will be no additional movement. However if it does move then they got loose for some reason , dirt, corrosion or incorrect tightening sequence etc. and you will be thankful for the chance to correct the problem.
I checked mine about a week after i C/O the output seal and again when I installed the Koni FSDs. No movement either time. Bonus tip: This task is made especially easy with a 3' extension.

Last edited by 911monty; 12-06-2017 at 10:29 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #11
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 5,953
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
If the axle bolts were installed correctly then there is no reason to not recheck torque, especially for the first time DIY'er. As long as you check to the original torque value there will be no additional movement. However if it does move then they got loose for some reason , dirt, corrosion or incorrect tightening sequence etc. and you will be thankful for the chance to correct the problem.
I checked mine about a week after i C/O the output seal and again when I installed the Koni FSDs. No movement either time. Bonus tip: This task is made especially easy with a 3' extension.
Aside from the linked post below, I read on another forum specifically to use medium thread locker and leave them be because trying to tighten again could weaken the thread locker. I can't find it now, but I recall it being a reputable source (possibly JR).

Help removing cv joint bolts
Attached Images
 

Last edited by particlewave; 12-06-2017 at 11:14 PM.
particlewave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #12
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,272
Garage
Funny. I thought about linking that post or adding something like "I know a professional shop such as JFP's does not bring back to re-torque" etc. I did say if "done correctly" where JFP says "proper installation is critical",(disclaimer: I am a fan of JFP's terminology) I think meaning parts are clean, proper tightening sequence etc. This may or not be true with a DIYer since you don't know their skill level or attention to detail.
So what is said is, that if it was done correctly the first time, and you do not exceed the original torque value, then there will be no further movement of the fastener. ESPECIALLY if you used blue loctite which has now hardened and further increases the torque necessary to move the fastener. So if you are absolutely confident in your installation then don't re-torque, but if that one spec of sand/rust finally grinds down and the bolts get loose....Now I never think about mine, How long and often are you going to check that red paint? Of course I also use a torque wrench when installing my wheels and check them again after a few days, or for that matter whenever I happen to be walking around with a torque wrench and it is convenient.

Something I used to do when installing ARP rod bolts was after using a stretch gage to torque I'd throw a torque wrench set slightly below desired value on to verify. Totally unnecessary but also doesn't hurt.

Last edited by 911monty; 12-07-2017 at 10:02 AM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 397
I know that you guys out there are experts and do right things. But I personally never used locktite on axle bolts wrenching multiple cars I own(ed) and never had issues.... Just degrease bolt/ thread well and use torque wrench, then retorque once later. Actually do not recall any bolts got loosened up.

I do not recall my reference books (Bentley and 101 Projects) mention to use the locktite. Maybe shops use it as it is not convenient for customers to come back for retorque and just to be safe when they don't?
__________________
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Benís short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, daily driven shine or snow.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #14
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 5,953
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
I know that you guys out there are experts and do right things. But I personally never used locktite on axle bolts wrenching multiple cars I own(ed) and never had issues.... Just degrease bolt/ thread well and use torque wrench, then retorque once later. Actually do not recall any bolts got loosened up.

I do not recall my reference books (Bentley and 101 Projects) mention to use the locktite. Maybe shops use it as it is not convenient for customers to come back for retorque and just to be safe when they don't?
Not using thread locker on a critical fastener, like an axle bolt, is a mistake.
Do it right. Do it once.

Nothing more to say...
particlewave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Not using thread locker on a critical fastener, like an axle bolt, is a mistake.
Do it right. Do it once.

Nothing more to say...
The question is if it is designed to use loctite or not, and I think it is not. I did not notice any loctite residue on bolt threads if originally applied from the factory.

I guess IMSB was not designed to explode before the warranty either so it's at my own risk... but I do not lose sleep over it, after putting 5,000 miles since the retorque 8 months ago.
__________________
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Benís short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, daily driven shine or snow.

Last edited by Boxstard; 12-08-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #16
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,272
Garage
Sad Really.. Understandable for a shop since time=money. Which I think really is the point of JFP's post. Hell I work on mine for recreation. But the question really is, is it worth an investment of 5 minutes of your time to verify, or risk investing in a flatbed and any collateral damage. If it's tight no harm no foul. If it's loose retorque and carry on. If it moves and you used loctite, nothing on the box says one time use only. Pull each bolt clean, reapply, re torque and hoist a cold one. And if you're so sure done right done once, what's the red paint for. Sheesh. Let's just keep these things on the road.


Sorry for the hijack JayG.

Last edited by 911monty; 12-08-2017 at 06:55 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #17
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 5,953
Garage
The red paint is for redundancy since the axle bolts are notorious for backing out and/or snapping off. It's also convenient for a quick 10 second visual inspection through the wheel instead of all the work of jacking the car up, getting tools out and getting under the car.

Last edited by particlewave; 12-08-2017 at 08:12 PM.
particlewave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #18
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,272
Garage
Yeah whatever. i could fall back on yeah I did mine and nothing failed therefore you don't need to. But if one person followed my smug advice and something failed and caused damage they couldn't afford to repair, that's unacceptable. To loosely quote Gelbster "Do no harm" and yeah you could check every 50 freakin miles if you wanted since nothing would be harmed.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #19
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 5,953
Garage
Axles swinging around after breaking free of the output flange can do some damage.

Not meaning to give anyone a hard time, just better safe than sorry. Whatever makes you feel best, do that.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by particlewave; 12-08-2017 at 08:12 PM.
particlewave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #20
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,272
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Axles swinging around after breaking free of the output flange can do some damage.
Exactly.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page