Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #1

Interchangeability of 6MT?

Hi Guys,
I am soon to replace the 6MT in my 125K mile 2000 S with a 23K mile unit from a 2003. I was wondering if there are any special considerations for the 2003 unit into the 2000 car which I need to account for in the installation?

It looks like in the pics of the unit from ebay, there is a cooling loop - I'm not sure if my existing trans has that. Would that have come standard on the S or is there an option code I can look for? If my car didn't come equipped, is there any guide for retrofitting?

Also - since I will be pulling the trans, I'm planning to do the following:
  • single mass flywheel
  • Spec Stage 2 clutch kit

Are there any other good 'While you are in there' tasks? FWIW, I am planning on a suspension overhaul later in the winter.

Thanks!

Last edited by PCinDC; 11-27-2017 at 10:23 AM.
PCinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

All of the 986 6 speed manual transmissions (G86.20) are the same. There are no external fluid coolers on any of them.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I must be mistaken, but I thought the loop shown in the picture below is a line for an external cooler. I guess its a clutch hydraulic line then?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #4

yes, that's the clutch line
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:24 AM   #5

When you say single mass flywheel, are you talking about a lightweight flywheel? As far as I know. no one makes a single mass flywheel. That being said, you may want to research farther into what you're getting into with a LWF. There's lots of debate on what it can do to the M96 motor. Jake Raby is completely anti-LWF and he's probably the best engine builder in the country. Now you have on the other side of the argument almost every guy racing as they all use them without any problems. It can be hard to decide what to do as they both make good points.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
When you say single mass flywheel, are you talking about a lightweight flywheel? As far as I know. no one makes a single mass flywheel. That being said, you may want to research farther into what you're getting into with a LWF. There's lots of debate on what it can do to the M96 motor. Jake Raby is completely anti-LWF and he's probably the best engine builder in the country. Now you have on the other side of the argument almost every guy racing as they all use them without any problems. It can be hard to decide what to do as they both make good points.
Do you know why is Jake anti-LWF? Is it just for street cars as for racing it seems fine?
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Do you know why is Jake anti-LWF? Is it just for street cars as for racing it seems fine?
the dual mass flywheel is dampened; a lw flywheel is not. jake has seen failures (broken cranks) which he attributes to the lack of dampening. the gt3 has a dampened drive pulley on the other end of the crank to compensate.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
B6T

You'll likely hear a lot more drivetrain noise as well since the clutch disk does not have a sprung hub which can create some interesting rattles at idle with the clutch pedal out.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
the dual mass flywheel is dampened; a lw flywheel is not. jake has seen failures (broken cranks) which he attributes to the lack of dampening. the gt3 has a dampened drive pulley on the other end of the crank to compensate.
He also believes it retards timing. I by no means think I'm on any level as Jake but I have to disagree with him when it comes to a LWF. Every race car I know of races with a LWF and they don't have a high rate of crank failures. They also have their cars dyno'd and show the same amount of HP as the street cars. Again Jake's the master and I'm just a monkey who takes them apart. You'll have to make your own decision based on what you believe.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:05 AM   #10

Hey guys, thanks for all of these replies. Yes, I do mean the Aluminum lightweight flywheel, and I did purchase it.

I was planning on buying the Spec Stage 2 clutch kit to go with it (which has a sprung center), and on Pelican's website, they list two models, one for the stock dual mass and one for what they call a lightweight single mass flywheel.

2000 Porsche Boxster S Convertible - Clutch & Flywheel - Page 1

Does anyone here have experience with the Spec clutch? I've used them before in other models of Porsche. Are there any parts I need to plan to order to perform the install?
Old 12-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCinDC View Post
Hi Guys,
I am soon to replace the 6MT in my 125K mile 2000 S with a 23K mile unit from a 2003. I was wondering if there are any special considerations for the 2003 unit into the 2000 car which I need to account for in the installation?

It looks like in the pics of the unit from ebay, there is a cooling loop - I'm not sure if my existing trans has that. Would that have come standard on the S or is there an option code I can look for? If my car didn't come equipped, is there any guide for retrofitting?

Also - since I will be pulling the trans, I'm planning to do the following:
  • single mass flywheel
  • Spec Stage 2 clutch kit

Are there any other good 'While you are in there' tasks?
Thanks!
Yes, since you are removing the only part that dampens harmonic vibrations from the crankshaft have the engines rotating parts balanced &/or install a harmonic balancer from a 3.8L M97 engine.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:41 PM   #12

Thanks, your post and others prompted to do some research here and elsewhere. While I do still intend to go with the LWFW, I will be having the flywheel and pressure plate assembly balanced prior to install. I also intend to install this pulley/damper from the 3.8L 997 engine:

608 - RSS Underdrive Pulleys - RSS