Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

Aftermarket oil pressure gauge to factory sender

I have a 996 oil pressure sender that I wanted to wire an aftermarket gauge to. I ended up with an AEM 2" oil press. gauge, part no. 30-5135:

Somewhere along the line I got lost and expected this gauge to have a single wire that I could connect to the 996 sender, just like the factory 996 cluster and various other aftermarket gauges. Instead this gauge has a 3-wire proprietary harness that connects the gauge to the included sender (see top right harness). Wire colors are black, red and green.

Anyone has an idea if the sender plug can be cut off and the harness wired to work with the stock sender? The gauge has two status lights for out of range voltage, one for low and the other for high. I'm wondering if two of the cables are for these lights while the third cable is for the actual oil pressure reading. Anyone knows which one

If all else fails, what would be a good place to install the AEM sender? Thread is 1/8" NPT. According to Pedro's page:
Quote:
For the oil pressure, Porsche provided a port right on the engine, where you remove a factory plug and replace with an adapter where the temperature sensor screws into. One side of the sensor goes to ground and just one wire goes to the gauge in the dash.
I can't find anything info on this. Where is this port? What adapter is he talking about? What thread is the port?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #2

If the AEM sender has a switch for low pressure as well as a pressure sender, you can just use a 1/8 NPT to 14x1.5 (or whatever, I have to verify) adapter and mount that brand of sender. Or just leave the stock oil switch wire disconnected and just use your guage.

Or, use the adapter and mount the AEM sender on the left valve cover by removing the plug that is on there, and keep the OEM oil switch.

Search for tunersmotorsports dof instructions to see where the port is, that's where the Pedro dof gets its oil from. I have an oil temp sender in that port.

Last edited by steved0x; 06-18-2017 at 06:56 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #3

If you want to use the OEM sender, get the VDO oil pressure gauge, I can get you the part # tomorrow or search my threads, I have the vdo vision black. Best bet is to match guage and sender to the same brand.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I have Pedro's DOF so I guess that plug is no longer available

I want to use the AEM because I already have a matching AEM A/F meter on the car.

Unfortunately the AEM sender doesn't have a low-pressure switch that I can see. And I'd rather keep the idiot light since to me it's more visible than the gauge.

I do know however that my sender is bad (which is why I got the gauge cheap). I'm going to sacrifice the harness and try connecting each wire to see if one of them sends the info to the gauge. I'll post this on AEM's FB page since they seem to answer tech questions rather fast over there.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #5

The oil pressure guage you show goes to 150 psi. The 996 sender (VDO) is calibrated for a guage with max pressure of 80 psi/ 5 bar.

Ohm range of the sender should match the guage. If you've got the 996 sender already, get the VDO guage with range up to 80 psi (5 bar) and you will keep the idiot light and have a properly working guage.
lmnsblu355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #6

Per the AEM instruction manual, if it helps:

Quote:
"The analog output from the AEM 100 PSI pressure gauge is a linear DC voltage signal that varies from 0.5 Vdc at 0 psig (0 Bar) to 4.5 Vdc at 150 psig (10.3 Bar) over the operation range of the gauge."
Anyone knows the analog outputs of the factory sender?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmnsblu355 View Post
The oil pressure guage you show goes to 150 psi. The 996 sender (VDO) is calibrated for a guage with max pressure of 80 psi/ 5 bar.

Ohm range of the sender should match the guage. If you've got the 996 sender already, get the VDO guage with range up to 80 psi (5 bar) and you will keep the idiot light and have a properly working guage.
Thanks, missed that before posting. I'm going to consider the VDO. Which model are you guys using? Do they also make wideband 2" A/F gauges?

Or... any other suggestion on where to mount the AEM sender without losing the idiot light?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #8

OK, how about this ?

BRASS OIL PRESSURE GAUGE / LIGHT T PIECE ADAPTOR M14 X 1.5 X 1/8TH NPT PORT

Found a few of these. They are all in Australia for some reason. Factory sender on top, AEM 1/8" sender on the side. That is, if the factory sender is M14 x 1.5. Steve, can you verify that?
Old 06-19-2017, 04:01 AM   #9

That could work and there should be plenty of room, it is kind of an open space.

When I get to work I will verify the thread size.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:56 AM   #10

This is the VDO temperature sensor I used, it is M14x1.5, so I can confirm the thread is M14x1.5.

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/sensors/temperature-sensors-switch/temperature-sensor-only/temperature-sender-300-deg-f-150-deg-c-m14x1-5.html

I don't think I have a photo, but look at this DIY for adding the 996 console and oil pressure sensor to possibly see some photos (or I don't know if you have looked down there already). I "think" there is room, I couldn't tell from the eBay page how tall that adapter is.

Porsche Boxster 996 Gauge Cluster Upgrade - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Old 06-19-2017, 04:59 AM   #11

BTW the oil pressure only ever gets to around 60-70, if there is an AEM gauge that goes from 0-80 that might work better, otherwise the needle will be sitting over on the 1/3rd of our gauge.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #12

I'm putting an oil pressure sensor for you guys atm. Custom order already sent... the end product will be half the size of a thumb (a medium sized thumb loll). That high temp rated Pressure Diaphragm is being prototype as I type (locally). Can wire to analogue gauge (12vdc version) or microcomputer (5V version).

I want (need) the 5V version
Old 06-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
Thanks, missed that before posting. I'm going to consider the VDO. Which model are you guys using? Do they also make wideband 2" A/F gauges?

Or... any other suggestion on where to mount the AEM sender without losing the idiot light?
From E-Guages
350-104 80 PSI Oil (12V) - 2 1/16" - Vision Black
Sale Price: $30.61

This is the one I used along with the 996 sender. Maintains oil light and guage.
lmnsblu355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #14

Thanks for all the help

Just when I thought I had it all figured out I get an Ebay alert for a 996 gauge cluster with all the boxes checked: '99-'01, black faced, manual, cabriolet. It even has the silver trim rings I wanted to buy Been looking for one like it for months. Bought it on the spot.

So now that I'll have a factory pressure gauge I need to fill the hole where the AEM pressure gauge was going into. I'm thinking oil temperature. I don't think the temp bung will fit on the side of that adapter because it's too long but I might have a solution. Keep you posted.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:53 AM   #15

Javi. Don't forget you have the Pedro's dof in there also that uses one of the oil feed ports people are talking about. Make sure you have a port available. The dof being that you have the 996 motor, feeds from the drivers side under the intake air box. Just thought this may help if you didn't know where it fed from.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY View Post
Javi. Don't forget you have the Pedro's dof in there also that uses one of the oil feed ports people are talking about. Make sure you have a port available. The dof being that you have the 996 motor, feeds from the drivers side under the intake air box. Just thought this may help if you didn't know where it fed from.
Thanks J, I missed this post earlier. I realized the DOF feeds from the port I wanted to use after I started the thread. I think I found a way to make it work but since you know this car and engine swap better than anyone where would you plug a 1/8" oil temperature sensor if it was still your car?
Old 07-02-2017, 05:43 AM   #17

You could put a T on the dof line and add your sensor there. There is also a thread on rennlist on how to run a vdo temp gauge off the built in temp sensor in the sump, for 996 cars. Someone linked it here a while back.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
You could put a T on the dof line and add your sensor there.
I would strongly recommend against doing this.

If you want to use aftermarket senders for pressure and/or oil temperature, I'd suggest getting a spin on filter adaptor and drilling and tapping it for the senders, providing they are small enough to fit.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-02-2017 at 01:15 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I would strongly recommend against do this.

If you want to use aftermarket senders for pressure and/or oil temperature, I'd suggest getting a spin on filter adaptor and drilling and tapping it for the senders, providing they are small enough to fit.
I actually have one I was going to use for some a/b testing, I will sell it for half price, comes with the vdo temp sender and also an oil pressure sender (although the oil.pressure hangs out enough that I would be worried about vibration, but the oil temp is small enough that I would not be worried)

If you are interested I will dig it out.

Last edited by steved0x; 07-10-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:21 AM   #20

Agreed, I would not share with the DOF. I like the oil filter adapter idea.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote