Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 03:20 PM   #1

Underdrive Pulley

Question on the benefits of the underdrive pulley. Just purchase a 98 boxster that I am slowly turning into a spec car but does see occasional street driving. Would it be better to place the underdrive pulley when it is solely a track car. what would be the effect on the alternator at around town rpms?
Thanks!

Last edited by jonasjmac; 07-11-2015 at 04:19 PM.
jonasjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I have an underdrive pulley on my 98. Street car only. No ill effects. The car seems to rev a little quicker, kinda like the difference between AC on and off.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #3

Garage
Tracked cars rev higher more often. I lost a steering pump from high revs the first year tracking. I changed the pump and pulley. Unfortunately last year lost another pump. Now I run an electric pump. I can tell you the pulley was much easier to change than the pump. On a Spec car the HP improvement should be noticeable with your weight reduction.

PS if you do, hold on to your old pulley for service / timing work.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Answers are all here...

Underdrive Pulley Questions

Which Under Drive Pulley to Use
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:09 PM   #5

From reading up on UD replacement I'm noting that a crank pulley lock down boss would be useless after grinding. I'm not quite ready for the IMS yet but thought of doing the UD so what are alternate methods to lock down UD pulley when doing IMS? Anyone?
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
From reading up on UD replacement I'm noting that a crank pulley lock down boss would be useless after grinding. I'm not quite ready for the IMS yet but thought of doing the UD so what are alternate methods to lock down UD pulley when doing IMS? Anyone?
No you only take off what you need to get the pulley to fit. I believe I had to cut 5/16" or 8mm. There's a lot of hole left.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote