Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

Sprint Booster

SprintBooster Power Converter - www.SprintBoosterSales.com
I know that this product has been discussed once before, but I want to gather some up-to-date responses/opinions about it. I know....it does not add a single hp. It's almost like having some cam device on the gas pedal that gives you more throttle early as you depress the pedal, except it does it electronically.
In the past several years I have driven many late model 4 cyl cars and most of them feel pretty peppy for the first third to half throttle. Makes for spirited fun driving. However, with the petal to the metal, there is generally not much left in the hp department. I believe these cars are using something like this built in to their drive-by-wire throttles.
This thing is $290! That's a lot of money for an electronic dohicky. But maybe worth it if the Boxster becomes more fun. Mine's a 2.7. These are not slow, but certainly not fast either. Need all the help they can get.
Money back satisfaction guarantee.

Any experience with this???

Old 05-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam View Post
SprintBooster Power Converter - www.SprintBoosterSales.com
I know that this product has been discussed once before, but I want to gather some up-to-date responses/opinions about it. I know....it does not add a single hp. It's almost like having some cam device on the gas pedal that gives you more throttle early as you depress the pedal, except it does it electronically.
In the past several years I have driven many late model 4 cyl cars and most of them feel pretty peppy for the first third to half throttle. Makes for spirited fun driving. However, with the petal to the metal, there is generally not much left in the hp department. I believe these cars are using something like this built in to their drive-by-wire throttles.
This thing is $290! That's a lot of money for an electronic dohicky. But maybe worth it if the Boxster becomes more fun. Mine's a 2.7. These are not slow, but certainly not fast either. Need all the help they can get.
Money back satisfaction guarantee.

Any experience with this???
It is a $300 Band-Aid for those that cannot get the gas pedal down fast enough. While it will not make your car one iota quicker, user comments vary between "I love it", to "Why did I waste my money on this?".

Because I get to drive a lot of cars at the shop, I can only tell you that I have driven several with it installed, and I think it is worthless.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd say to skip the SprintBooster. Its a gimmick.

You can easily re-create its effect by simply driving like a leadfoot and keeping the rev's above 4000 rpm. This will allow you to access the most responsive portion of the rpm range of the engine at a moments notice and the car will feel powerful and alive. Don't be afraid to redline it daily.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I'd say to skip the SprintBooster. Its a gimmick.

You can easily re-create its effect by simply driving like a leadfoot and keeping the rev's above 4000 rpm. This will allow you to access the most responsive portion of the rpm range of the engine at a moments notice and the car will feel powerful and alive. Don't be afraid to redline it daily.
I know you are right in your advice, but it just isn't my style of driving! I kinda need the car to take the initiative. With a 30day satisfaction guarantee and easy install, there is not much risk.... Wish it were cheaper.....checked Amazon and eBay.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
WALDMEISTER

Garage
A PITA to install...but one thing i will never deinstall again.
290$ = worth every penny IMO = "peanuts" in the PORSCHE world

Noticeably faster throttle response and it feels like more HP...if you don't feel a difference, you're dead
There is another equivalent solution on the market...forgot the name though
Old 05-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post

Noticeably faster throttle response and it feels like more HP...if you don't feel a difference, you're dead
I found another product for under $100 but it appears that it is only made for US older cars.

There are pro and con people out there, but I note that the pros are the people that have owned one and the cons are the people that have not, or just drove a car that had one (so they didn't have a base for comparison to stock).
I'm going to try it considering that your car is the identical to mine. Got 30 days to change my mind! Thanks.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:

BRAN.... I've checked out the throttle pedal unit on the internet. It appears that there is a cable that leaves the unit and connects to a fly by wire controller 6-8 inches away. Will check it out in daylight tomorrow. How difficult is it to access the actual place that this device is plugged into. I had shoulder replacement surgery 7 weeks ago and haven't got good range of motion and strength back yet. Should I put this project off for a while?
Old 05-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #8

If you've done it before, it really only takes a couple minutes to do.
You have to be on your back and navigate through a few obsticles. It's just disconnecting the sensor and reattaching the connector.
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #9

You do have to remove the AC tube...just a good little twist and tug.
There is a wire that attaches to the unit that you can install close to the dash. You can flip through stock/green/red mode.
tip model and manual models are interchangeable. Difference is that tip models are less sensitive.
tip green vs. manual green the manual green is slightly more sensitive etc etc
Old 05-28-2015, 03:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee View Post
You do have to remove the AC tube...just a good little twist and tug.
There is a wire that attaches to the unit that you can install close to the dash. You can flip through stock/green/red mode.
tip model and manual models are interchangeable. Difference is that tip models are less sensitive.
tip green vs. manual green the manual green is slightly more sensitive etc etc
Gee tee.... Thanks for really helpful comments. As you have not yet commented on what you think of the device, please address that. I had to replace my dashboard two yrs ago. The project turned out perfect, but I'd never do it again!! I'm picturing this AC section coming out ang never fitting back in!!!! Your thoughts on this?
Old 05-28-2015, 05:18 AM   #11
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Locating the gas-throttle connector was my pita part. I was able to install the Sprint-Booster without taking the AC tube out...had to do that later with a different Project and it was no problem at all.
There is a good write-up on the pelican parts Boxster Forum, you should take a quick look there, too.
Oh and btw...the provides cables JUST fit...i was wondering why they would not provide a tiny bit longer cable...that would be my only complaint about the Booster.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Oh and btw...the provides cables JUST fit...i was wondering why they would not provide a tiny bit longer cable...that would be my only complaint about the Booster.
Then it would have been $400!!!

Info appreciated....
Old 05-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Gee tee.... Thanks for really helpful comments. As you have not yet commented on what you think of the device, please address that. I had to replace my dashboard two yrs ago. The project turned out perfect, but I'd never do it again!! I'm picturing this AC section coming out ang never fitting back in!!!! Your thoughts on this?
With the AC tube out of the way, it's so much easier. The AC tube being removed has an accordian section so you just squeeze a little twist turn and it comes out and goes in. If it's your first time, it make take a bit trying to figure out which side goes in first.
I try not to comment on opinions on SB as everyone has a different one. Some hate some love... Many people say why don't you just smash your pedal harder. It really isn't that simple. It's about driveability....
I currently have 3 electric throttle Pcars. All 3 have ECU tunes on them which also increases throttle response along with other parameters. Even with the tune, all 3 have SB on them. I wouldn't have bought the other 2 SB's if i didn't like the 1st one.
There's a couple other companies that are similar to SB. I assume they do the same thing but I've never tried them.
Don't they have a money back warranty? Try it and if you don't like it, you can always return....
Old 05-29-2015, 04:41 AM   #14

Quote:
There are pro and con people out there, but I note that the pros are the people that have owned one and the cons are the people that have not, or just drove a car that had one (so they didn't have a base for comparison to stock).
And then there are those of us that drive lots of these cars for a living, so we have many, many cars to compare; and both install and remove these things. Without any equivocation, this thing is an expensive and useless gimmick. But in the end, it is your car and your money to waste any way you please..........
Old 05-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #15

After braking my pedal hinge from heal toe twist, I had to set up pedal stops for 100 % throttle and ensure that was not bottoming out the cable going to the cruise box with the new pedal. I looked at throttle position, percent throttle opening, tb potentiometer on Durametric vs the speed of my right foot ........the response indicated was very sharp, sharp enough for me. This was with the car off; I would imagine that the map would not change while running

Once you think about it you will see how much you can loose without your foot going smoothly flat everywhere possible...as soon as you are straight.

Engine response to throttle position is whole different thing....the SB won't help with this
Old 05-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #16
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Sprint Booster...is like describing colors...try it and you might like it.

It is just a remapping...and the gas pedal has a HUGE (psychological) impact on how people judge the potential power of a car (there are books filled with Marketing stories about car manufacturers only switching gas pedals to get a better overall customer rating...yes, they are trixie, lol)
I tell you what...it FEELS like more HP most of the time, BUT if you are REDLINING, it might FEEL as if you are missing a few HP up there.

As it has switchable settings, you can't go wrong. Once you drove in a more responsive setting, I can assure you, you won't go back anymore, as it feels like driving with the handbrake on...you are waiting an "endless" second for the power to kick in

The word expensive is relativ...

Last edited by BRAN; 05-29-2015 at 02:39 PM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #17

I'm doing the installation. Trouble is that I'm recovering from a right shoulder replacement and really only have a left arm/hand to work with at this time. I took out the AC accordion duct and removed the screw fastening the little duct/register that has all the holes under it.
Trouble is that little duct only moves a half inch or so after removing the screw. NOT enough. Does anyone know if it's removable? That would be a blessing.
At this point I am thinking that without removing that second smaller duct I will have to wait another 3-4 weeks to have an improved arm that can perhaps reach it from another angle.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:01 AM   #18

Gimmick or not... I LOVE my Sprintbooster. I went from an '07 Cayman (With Sport Chrono, instant throttle response) to an '01 Boxster S Tip. Felt VERY slow, like you had to floor it to get it to move. The SB brought that "sparkle" back. Worth EVERY cent!

I think the mapping on the older cars was much slower than it is now. My '13 Abarth (in Sport mode) feels like a hair trigger, it just feels eager! I think the manufacturers have changed the way they map the throttles since '01...
bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:07 AM   #19

You're right. Many little economy cars today feel really peppy across the intersection. And it's not due to HP.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #20

do you have any grown kids at home that can help? You really need 2 hands....the SB has to fully seat. If they don't click in they will get loose over time and you'll end up with no throttle.