Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye280z View Post
I found someone who has a Durametric version 5 and wants 75 bucks for it. Is this worth my time or should I look for the newer version?
Don't buy it. The current version uses a different USB cable and drivers and has many, many updates that version does not have and cannot be updated to.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #22

Check the website to make sure it is not missing too much functionality, and then offer $50

I accidentally ran the v5 software once and marveled at the "new" interface. And I was able to check my values etc... that I wanted.

There may be an upgrade path for that cable too from durametric. Used v6 cables go for around ~200 so if there is an upgrade path you could go to the later cable in the future if desired.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #23
Artist, 986S tinkerer

The Durametric software is a free download. You buy the cable, so I don't think there is really any upgrade path. 5 is 5, 6 is 6.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Check the website to make sure it is not missing too much functionality, and then offer $50

I accidentally ran the v5 software once and marveled at the "new" interface. And I was able to check my values etc... that I wanted.

There may be an upgrade path for that cable too from durametric. Used v6 cables go for around ~200 so if there is an upgrade path you could go to the later cable in the future if desired.
No. Durametric's website says that any of the current versions (6.x) require the second generation cable.

Another reason not to buy the version 5 is that all of the problematic Chinese knock off Durametric systems sold are version 5. And while Durametric does offer an upgrade pathway to go from the first generation cable to the second, they only do that if you return the first generation cable so that they can verify it is one of theirs, and then pay them $150. so even if the version 5 cable is a real one, you are still knocking on the door of the price of a new system.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-22-2015 at 07:24 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #25
2 fast 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
I get lots of bubbles at 10 lb pressure! Relatively new "genuine Porsche" tank, guess I'll replace the "genuine Porsche " o-rings!
Redeye, all those plastic fiddly bits break and die if you look at the crossways.
If you change the orings try putting a little thicker ones that is what I did and it seemed to work.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:03 AM   #26
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Problem solved! I bought the 2 rings from Porsche. Stupid little screws were a pain to remove/reinstall. The Replacement o-rings did appear thicker than the original ones. This tank was replaced only last summer with a genuine Porsche part!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:06 AM   #27
2 fast 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Problem solved! I bought the 2 rings from Porsche. Stupid little screws were a pain to remove/reinstall. The Replacement o-rings did appear thicker than the original ones. This tank was replaced only last summer with a genuine Porsche part!
That's great I'm glad that is was just the o rings the whole thing drove me crazy trying to figure it out especially since it was a new tank and I wasn't about to remove the dang thing again.