Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #1

Anyone have a full write up on charcoal canister and the secondary air pump delete.

I need to delete all of it for a restomod project and delete the lines on the under side of the car. I have found a few threads talking about it but nothing going into detail. I need to know which tank lines I can delete and which needs to vent and what to do with the hose / fitting that goes to the engine from the secondary air pump and other related items. Also does anyone have a diagram of all the lines under the car with details of what they are and where they go with attachment points. I need to remove 2.5-3 inch of wheel base length from the car.

jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Build a bigger garage? Seriously what are you about to do?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Build a bigger garage? Seriously what are you about to do?
bigger garage? 70 911 body on 01 boxster.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #4

Both lines from the charcoal canister to the rear of the car can be deleted. You have to plug the intake on the throttle body once you have done this. Leave the one attached to the fuel tank open.

SAI can be completely removed, just rip out all the junk in the image below.

There are two block off plates to block off the ports in the block. You also need to block a vacuum port in the rubber boot on the T

Part numbers are,
996 113 140 53
996 113 340 50
for the plates
and
996 113 233 50
996 113 213 51
for the gaskets.

Other lines under the car to deal with:

Fuel x2
Power steering x2
Heater x2
Coolant x2
Air con x2
Brakes x2
Clutch

Should be obvious what is what once you have a good look.

edit - forgot the radiator breather. That is the small pipe that runs dead center between the main coolant hoses.

Last edited by specboxCO; 12-04-2014 at 02:07 PM.
specboxCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodblake View Post
bigger garage?
LOL!! He's implying that you might be shortening your car because it doesn't fit in your garage..... because the garage is too short.... Get it? No? Ok, think about it for a while.... it'll come to you
Old 12-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #6

I'm sure he gets it
jimk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #7

hey specboxco, thanks for the info. any CEL when you pull the charcoal canister?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:

I need to remove 2.5-3 inch of wheel base length from the car.
I take it that you are going to take that 2.5-3 inches out of the passenger compartment floor? Leg room is tight as it is in a Boxster. Would you be sitting higher in the 911? If not, unless you are less than 5'8" it will be REALLY tight. My wife is 5'9" and she sits with the seat all the way back. I am 6'3" and I need to get the console delete as my right leg ends up hard against the center cubbies.

By the way, that is a cool project. There is similar build where an early Beetle body was put on a Boxster. I think he must be close to being done with that one.

Last edited by Qmulus; 12-03-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Delete most anything in the SAI and you'll probably get a CEL. You will need a ROW flash to avoid this.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
Rennzenn

Garage
Very cool project. Long hood mid engine water cooled 911. Subscribed!
I'm 5'6" and very willing to drive this car for you!

Last edited by j.fro; 12-03-2014 at 03:12 PM.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #11

thanks mr art. i was refering to the charcoal canister. my sai is already gone.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #12

SpecBoxCO:
I love it when Forum members post an answer with parts numbers and a diagram. Thank you !
It is a great service to all of us struggling with SAI CEL codes. As another poster mentioned ,you need the ROW reflash to prevent the CEL illuminating.
The remaining uncertainty for those in any State using California-type Smog Test equipment is how to be sure the Test does not identify a modified/tampered emissions component. That is an immediate Fail+Gross Polluter+Purgatory.
Ironically the SAI is not fitted in many very "green" countries ,so don't worry about destroying the Planet. It only operates for a few minutes on warm-up - - that is when it works correctly .
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
hey specboxco, thanks for the info. any CEL when you pull the charcoal canister?
Yes, unfortunately the charcoal canister will throw a CEL that even a ROW flash will not deal with. There may be a way to fool it if you leave the valves hooked up so the DME thinks they are operating correctly, but it is pretty advanced, checking for vaccuum leaks in the system
Old 12-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #14

thanks very much.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #15

I finally started to remove the lines/ hoses. However I can not find out how to disconnect one of the secondary air lines. In this pic you can see four black nylon hoses the two to the right are the fuel lines. The other two are to what I believe to be to the secondary air to charcoal canister lines one of them has a quick disconnect (the one on the outer left) however the one (inner left) hose does not or at least that I can find. Can anyone confirm that these two lines are indeed for the secondary air to charcoal canister lines and does anyone know if there is a quick disconnect fitting on that line and where it is located.

Also I believe I will be removing three inches here. I should have about two and a half inches left of reword moment and a little recline. That said i'm 5,9-10 but I guess have short arms with the steering wheel all the way extended and the seat all the way back I have to slightly lean forward to reach the wheel and my legs are fully extended to reach the pedals. I will also be going with a different seat it will probably sit higher so I should have more then enough room. That said I have a built miata that I use for auto cross and the boxster feels huge in comparison. I may even be able to remove another inch the plan in to get the highest point of the boxsters engine compartment almost flush with the 911s B pillar/ door jam.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Can anyone confirm that these two lines are indeed for the secondary air to charcoal canister lines and does anyone know if there is a quick disconnect fitting on that line and where it is located.
You are correct, those are the lines from the charcoal canister. That line does not have a quick disconnect, as it doesn't connect to the engine, it runs along the top of it and out to the rear of the car.

See the picture below items 5 & 6 are what you are dealing with.