Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #1

Garage
Problem Maintaining a Connection with Durametric Cable

I have a 98 Boxster, 2.5 engine, 5 speed. I am looking for some weekend help with my Durametric cable. I started a support call with them on Friday - and have an good exchange going with them - I am just hoping for some additional insight to maybe solve the problem over the weekend. Here are the rest of the details:

The Durametric Cable is new and from Pelican. The latest software from Durametric is running on a Windows 7 laptop. Confirmed that the latest firmware is installed on the cable. The laptop is configured to run with power management disabled, including any power management of the USB ports. It is running on the laptop battery - no inverter with a fully charged battery on the car. I turn of the radar detector, radio - but not the IMS Guardian. The radio is aftermarket - but is hooked up properly using a Metra plug - so I don't suspect a grounding issue. The car has an alarm that is still working properly after the radio install.

The problem is that the software, cable - maybe the car, seem to constantly lose connectivity. I can start the system fine using the steps outlined by Durametric. Once in the software and after a few minutes - the time varies but it doesn't seem like more than 10 minutes - I am no longer able to communicate with any thing through the cable. I can completely start from the beginning, with the car turned off and start the cycle all over again. The software itself is still responding to task manager.

Anyone have suggestions? Or had this problem and solved it?

BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

On my laptop I found that the cable worked on my usb2 port but caused problema on the usb3 ports.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Reebuck1

Garage
I have to keep mine in the UBS2 port to get it to work correctly but I am using Windows 8.
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
FYI USB3 ports are normally blue and USB2 are black
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks - I did double check to ensure the USB Ports are 2.0 and not 3.0. I had read that could be a problem.

During my troubleshooting I ran with the .NET 3,5 enabled and disabled. Even though according to my instruction sheet it is not required on Win7. It actually seemed to hold a connection longer when connected with the .NET 3.5 enabled.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Make sure that you are using a high-power USB port. Some laptops only have 1 high power port and the others are low power. Just try swapping around to all of the USB ports and see if that makes any difference.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-07-2014 at 01:39 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #7

The ones in the back are usually the high powered ones. That said I use the side port on my laptop and it is fine. Wish they would put it on the windows store so I could run it on my surface, I hate lugging the laptop to the cat... It is clunky
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:21 AM   #8

Garage
I have worked my way around through all of the USB ports on the laptop. I am going to try another laptop this week.

The connector of my cable gets warm - not hot - but warm. Is that normal?
Old 06-08-2014, 07:05 AM   #9
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
I have worked my way around through all of the USB ports on the laptop. I am going to try another laptop this week.

The connector of my cable gets warm - not hot - but warm. Is that normal?
Which end? USB or OBDII ?

You might also try Durametric Ver 5 and see if you have the same problem. You can download it from their website

Double check the POWER SAVING settings on your laptop, It might have the ports set to sleep after a short time. Although I would think that the Durametric software when active is polling data, so it should keep the port active

It is too bad the software doesn't work on a Surface, they are nice compact lightweight computers.

I also don't understand the Durametric issue with using an inverter. the laptop is isolated through its power supply. Only thing I can think of is power draw through the cars 12v system might affect the readings????
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #10

Garage
The ODBII end gets warm. I went into the properties for the USB ports and disabled the ability to turn of the power. I also created a unique power profile called Durametric that leaves everything running at full power.

I have thought about trying Version 5 - and will likely try it today.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #11

Garage
Version 5 did not resolve the issue.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #12

Garage
Durametric ask me to send them cable so they can test it. I was busy with some personal things and did not get it sent to them. Then my car failed to start. I was still able to use then cable to diagnose the issue as a failed crank position sensor. I am still pleased with the cable and it saved me enough money to pay for itself. I would have had to pay for a flat tow and mechanic's bill.