986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Problem Maintaining a Connection with Durametric Cable (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/52600-problem-maintaining-connection-durametric-cable.html)

BFeller 06-07-2014 08:04 AM

Problem Maintaining a Connection with Durametric Cable

I have a 98 Boxster, 2.5 engine, 5 speed. I am looking for some weekend help with my Durametric cable. I started a support call with them on Friday - and have an good exchange going with them - I am just hoping for some additional insight to maybe solve the problem over the weekend. Here are the rest of the details:

The Durametric Cable is new and from Pelican. The latest software from Durametric is running on a Windows 7 laptop. Confirmed that the latest firmware is installed on the cable. The laptop is configured to run with power management disabled, including any power management of the USB ports. It is running on the laptop battery - no inverter with a fully charged battery on the car. I turn of the radar detector, radio - but not the IMS Guardian. The radio is aftermarket - but is hooked up properly using a Metra plug - so I don't suspect a grounding issue. The car has an alarm that is still working properly after the radio install.

The problem is that the software, cable - maybe the car, seem to constantly lose connectivity. I can start the system fine using the steps outlined by Durametric. Once in the software and after a few minutes - the time varies but it doesn't seem like more than 10 minutes - I am no longer able to communicate with any thing through the cable. I can completely start from the beginning, with the car turned off and start the cycle all over again. The software itself is still responding to task manager.

Anyone have suggestions? Or had this problem and solved it?

NewArt 06-07-2014 09:03 AM

On my laptop I found that the cable worked on my usb2 port but caused problema on the usb3 ports.

Reebuck1 06-07-2014 09:47 AM

I have to keep mine in the UBS2 port to get it to work correctly but I am using Windows 8.

JayG 06-07-2014 10:53 AM

FYI USB3 ports are normally blue and USB2 are black

BFeller 06-07-2014 12:34 PM

Thanks - I did double check to ensure the USB Ports are 2.0 and not 3.0. I had read that could be a problem.

During my troubleshooting I ran with the .NET 3,5 enabled and disabled. Even though according to my instruction sheet it is not required on Win7. It actually seemed to hold a connection longer when connected with the .NET 3.5 enabled.

thstone 06-07-2014 01:36 PM

Make sure that you are using a high-power USB port. Some laptops only have 1 high power port and the others are low power. Just try swapping around to all of the USB ports and see if that makes any difference.

steved0x 06-07-2014 01:49 PM

The ones in the back are usually the high powered ones. That said I use the side port on my laptop and it is fine. Wish they would put it on the windows store so I could run it on my surface, I hate lugging the laptop to the cat... It is clunky :)

BFeller 06-08-2014 06:21 AM

I have worked my way around through all of the USB ports on the laptop. I am going to try another laptop this week.

The connector of my cable gets warm - not hot - but warm. Is that normal?

JayG 06-08-2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFeller (Post 404640)
I have worked my way around through all of the USB ports on the laptop. I am going to try another laptop this week.

The connector of my cable gets warm - not hot - but warm. Is that normal?

Which end? USB or OBDII ?

You might also try Durametric Ver 5 and see if you have the same problem. You can download it from their website

Double check the POWER SAVING settings on your laptop, It might have the ports set to sleep after a short time. Although I would think that the Durametric software when active is polling data, so it should keep the port active

It is too bad the software doesn't work on a Surface, they are nice compact lightweight computers.

I also don't understand the Durametric issue with using an inverter. the laptop is isolated through its power supply. Only thing I can think of is power draw through the cars 12v system might affect the readings????

BFeller 06-08-2014 07:23 AM

The ODBII end gets warm. I went into the properties for the USB ports and disabled the ability to turn of the power. I also created a unique power profile called Durametric that leaves everything running at full power.

I have thought about trying Version 5 - and will likely try it today.

BFeller 06-08-2014 09:41 AM

Version 5 did not resolve the issue.

BFeller 06-17-2014 06:01 PM

Durametric ask me to send them cable so they can test it. I was busy with some personal things and did not get it sent to them. Then my car failed to start. I was still able to use then cable to diagnose the issue as a failed crank position sensor. I am still pleased with the cable and it saved me enough money to pay for itself. I would have had to pay for a flat tow and mechanic's bill.